SOLVED: CBS tv shows won't play?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: CBS tv shows won't play?

Post by soundchaser59 »

Just made the switch to Mint Cinnamon 64 bit. At first I had trouble playing youtube clips but a codec update took care of that.
Now I'm logging in to CBS All Access and I see that Chromium will not play any of the tv shows. All I get is a black window with a start/pause button, but the video never starts. I got it working in Firefox because error messages from the CBS site will pop up telling me what settings to change. I had to turn off the tracking blocker and enable something called DLM. Now I can watch tv shows from the CBS site in Firefox, but nothing I try in Chromium will work, and Chromium does not pop up any error messages like Firefox did.

The thing that seems so odd to me is I was watching CBS tv shows (mostly Star Trek) every day in Chromium when I was running Cinnamon 32 bit. What's so different about Chromium in Cinnamon 64? Any fixes or things I can try? I'm not very well versed in commands, so you'll need to be specific if you share some command line things. I know about sudo, I just don't know what all the commands do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: CBS tv shows won't play?

Post by xenopeek »

You'll need the Widevine CDM plugin from Google Chrome to be able to watch DRM protected content on Chromium. After installing Google Chrome to get it (at least I can't find an easier way to get it on Linux Mint based on Ubuntu as chromium-widevine isn't available on Ubuntu as it is on other Linux distros) you'd have create a symbolic link to the file in Google Chrome it so that Chromium can find it like so (I think):
sudo ln -s /opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so /usr/lib/chromium/libwidevinecdm.so

You get Google Chrome by downloading it from https://www.google.com/chrome/ and double-clicking the downloaded .deb file in your file manager to launch the installer.

At that point you've already installed Google Chrome so might just use that for watching CBS.
soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

Re: CBS tv shows won't play?

Post by soundchaser59 »

Thanks for the tips. I installed Chrome. I had forgotten that it is only the 32 bit version of Mint that has to use Chromium. I have transferred all my bookmarks and tabs over to Chrome.

The CBS tv shows play in Chrome, but they stutter and the audio and video are not in sync, even when I use the low quality setting. Is there some other set of codecs or something that I need to add to Chrome to make videos play correctly? It's hard to tell from google search results just what I need.

EDIT: turning off hardware acceleration helps a lot, but the audio:video sync is still slightly off. Can this be addressed in any way?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SOLVED: CBS tv shows won't play?

Post by xenopeek »

Does it do that with other video sources, like Youtube? Suggest to make a new topic specific about video performance in Google Chrome to get attention from people that know more about that.
soundchaser59
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SOLVED: CBS tv shows won't play?

Post by soundchaser59 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:08 am Does it do that with other video sources, like Youtube?
Not that I've noticed, it seems to be only on the CBS stuff.

Return to “Sound”