[Solved]Bluetooth speakers paired but unable to connect

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crybaby
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Bluetooth speakers paired but unable to connect

Post by Crybaby »

Hi everyone, newbie here...
I'm running Mint 19.1 Mate from a multiboot USB with 4GB persistence created with Yumi, to give it a try.
For a couple of days I simply connected my Rockbox Brick by clicking the bluetooth icon on the taskbar and the sound would flow. Then it didn't work anymore, It cannot connect. I installed Blueman and followed the instructions, everything went fine till the pairing, then when it tries to connect I get this message: Connection Failed: blueman.bluez.errors.DBusFailedError: Resource temporarily unavailable.
I will add that I use a usb bluetooth dongle as the pc has not BT. Also, the speakers don't appear as a sound device, only the built-in stereo is listed.
I couldn't find my way in the plethora of posts/tutorials about BT in the google results, the only thing I tried is running "sudo rfkill list" where I saw that bluetooth is not blocked.
Any help is appreciated, have a nice day
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Pro 3500 MT PC 64bits
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Dual Boot: Mint 19.1 Mate / Windows 10 Pro
Crybaby
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bluetooth speakers paired but unable to connect

Post by Crybaby »

Update:
trying again i found that the connection sometimes works and sometimes not, so my best guess is that the speakers are malfunctioning. Therefore i consider this topic closed.
HP Pro 3500 MT PC 64bits
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi Crybaby, and welcome to the forum.

I somewhat doubt the speakers are malfunctioning. More likely you just haven't got everything set up properly yet.

I just set up Bluetooth for the first time last week, and almost gave up as the adapter was advertised as Windows only, but after some fiddling I got it working correctly. I documented my steps here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=284619

My first question for your situation is when you installed blueman, did you uninstall blueberry? While I'm not certain that would cause your issues, I'd want to make sure it can't be the cause with apt purge blueberry in the terminal.

Also, in the terminal type apt install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth followed by pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover then see if you can get things working. You may need to remove the device and search for it again.

Lastly, if you don't have it, install PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.) When you play sound on the computer, check the Playback tab of pavucontrol where you can change were sound is trying to play to. I had to change from Built-in Audio to my Bluetooth headphones.

Good luck.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

yes purging blueberry and installing blueman will probably fix the issue. the pulseaudio module bluetooth will install with blueman

while working fine in 19.0 I had to delete the connection and restart the computer then reinstall the device to get the connection in 19.1. but by removing blueberry
the connection is stable.

BT telephony wont work as a module hasn't been written by pulseaudio for it.
support for bluetooth telephony was removed by bluez. with the responsibility being passed to downstream modules. BT telephony last worked properly in 17.x
I have 17.3 installed alongside19.1 for days when I need BT telephony.
ad2p connection for speakers became more reliable after BT telephony became unsupported.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

winoseti wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:43 pmthe pulseaudio module bluetooth will install with blueman
That was not the case with my 18.3 Xfce. Can see the possibility that on 19.x that is the case.
Crybaby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Crybaby »

Sorry to reply only now but I've been abroad.
Thank you for all the tips. I thought the problem were the speakers because ultimately also on windows they wouldn't work properly. Got new ones and everything is fine. I'll keep in mind all the suggestions in case problems should arise in the future. Again thanks to all
HP Pro 3500 MT PC 64bits
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

No problem, Crybaby.

If you have any issues in the future, don't be afraid to come back.
lupo_rosso

Post by lupo_rosso »

MrEen wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:00 pm Hi Crybaby, and welcome to the forum.

I somewhat doubt the speakers are malfunctioning. More likely you just haven't got everything set up properly yet.

I just set up Bluetooth for the first time last week, and almost gave up as the adapter was advertised as Windows only, but after some fiddling I got it working correctly. I documented my steps here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=284619

My first question for your situation is when you installed blueman, did you uninstall blueberry? While I'm not certain that would cause your issues, I'd want to make sure it can't be the cause with apt purge blueberry in the terminal.

Also, in the terminal type apt install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth followed by pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover then see if you can get things working. You may need to remove the device and search for it again.

Lastly, if you don't have it, install PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.) When you play sound on the computer, check the Playback tab of pavucontrol where you can change were sound is trying to play to. I had to change from Built-in Audio to my Bluetooth headphones.

Good luck.
Thank you very much, this solved my problem with my bt speaker stopped working suddenly (pairing successfully but connection failed)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [Solved]Bluetooth speakers paired but unable to connect

Post by MrEen »

I'm glad it worked for you lupo_rosso! :D

Enjoy.

Return to “Sound”