Cant Use External mic, using hw mic jack

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cant Use External mic, using hw mic jack

Post by MrEen »

eMINT wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:40 pm AMP_IN_MUTE() seems to be a function that returns sth but i cant find its definition, it must be imported from some utils package

http://140.136.149.249/lxr/source/the-t ... cal.h#0455
Ahh. Same author as hda-verb, but different header file. I'm gonna guess this is part of what gets baked into the kernel. Or used to. Maybe! :lol:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Alright. I went back through this thread to re-read everything to see if there is anything I may have missed and I think I may have stumbled onto something worth trying.

In GNOME Alsa Mixer or QasMixer, tick the boxes for HP/Speaker and HP/Speaker Auto Detect. Now take the crazy step of.... wait for it...test the mic!

I'm thinking your pin configs are all messed up, and you now have properly working headphones, WITHOUT those boxes being checked, that parts of your system may be confusing headphones and mic detection.

This is not terribly uncommon, and is almost always faulty BIOS reporting. In other words, not really anything you can do about it except find the workaround that makes the machine function properly.

Good luck!!!
eMINT

Post by eMINT »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:14 pm Alright. I went back through this thread to re-read everything to see if there is anything I may have missed and I think I may have stumbled onto something worth trying.

In GNOME Alsa Mixer or QasMixer, tick the boxes for HP/Speaker and HP/Speaker Auto Detect. Now take the crazy step of.... wait for it...test the mic!

I'm thinking your pin configs are all messed up, and you now have properly working headphones, WITHOUT those boxes being checked, that parts of your system may be confusing headphones and mic detection.

This is not terribly uncommon, and is almost always faulty BIOS reporting. In other words, not really anything you can do about it except find the workaround that makes the machine function properly.

Good luck!!!
no luck!
Selection_070.png
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The only thing I can think of at this point is trying to reinstall the sound base. Keep an eye on the purge, as some users have had it uninstall Cinnamon and other system stuff. If it wants to do that for you, halt it and we'll try a different command instead:

Code: Select all

apt remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
apt install alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
Might be good to follow up with pulseaudio -k as well.

I really don't hold out much hope for that, but as we have never tried it, it is worth a shot.

It's also possible things would work correctly in the 4.15 or 4.18 kernels, but I can't say that will happen, and I wouldn't feel comfortable advising you try it on that computer in your circumstances.

Don't forget, there is always the USB option as a workaround.
eMINT

Post by eMINT »

i bought an usb logitech headset H390, i dont want to break the system, in the future when the LTS period ends, i will fresh install the last Mint LTS release, and with that updated kernel, i will try, thanks a lot for your help! it was turning into sth personal, that i want to fix that. humans are supposed to tell computers what to do and they are supposed to obey, but, i get tired and i went the easy way.

thanks again for your help, ive learned a lot about sound on Linux from this experience, i wish to understand more hda-verb in the future as routin the auto to the headphones with that command was like magic

Return to “Sound”