Choppy Quicktime

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quimber

Choppy Quicktime

Post by Quimber »

I am having trouble viewing Quicktime or .mov videos. This is very frustrating, could someone please help me?
The problem I'm having is that the Quicktime videos I upload from my camera don't play well. The video and sound is very choppy. When I download a movie trailer or an Apple ad in Quicktime I can play it without any trouble. Just having trouble with my camera Quicktime videos.
The problem is the same weather I use Movie Player, Gnome Mplayer or VLC.
. The camera videos play well in XP (I'm dual booting with Gloria). They also play well when I load them onto my Acer Aspire One Netbook running CrunchBang Linux. So there isn't anything wrong with the Quicktime files. They are just choppy in Gloria. The only way I can get them to run well in Linux Mint is to convert the .mov files to .avi, which isn't a real fix. I'm running a dual core Athalon processor with 2 gig memory and an Nvidia graphics card with 512 meg memory on it. Hardware shouldn't be an issue. I've done searches in this forum and Ubuntu's and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I would like to eliminate XP from my computer but not if I can't fix the choppy Quicktime videos.
I use my camera a lot and it's important to be to be able to play the videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Choppy Quicktime

Post by lagagnon »

First of all what video card do you have and have you loaded the correct drivers for it?
Quimber

Post by Quimber »

lagagnon wrote:First of all what video card do you have and have you loaded the correct drivers for it?
Thank you for the reply.
I realized after reading my post again that I said an Nvidia "sound" card. I meant an Nvidea video card. Sorry. It's a GeForce 7300 GT to be exact.
I am running the "Recommended" graphics driver - Nvidia accelerated graphics driver version 180 so I can run Compiz. Disabling Compiz doesn't change the choppy Quicktime video. This is recent and basic install, so I haven't mucked about with things.
Every other type of video works fine, such as .avi files or clips from YouTube, and even Quicktime movie trailers from the Web. Just my camera's Quicktime files are choppy, and only in Gloria. Same files work fine in XP or CrunchBang Linux on my netbook.

MSI K9N4 SLI Mainboard
2.6 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
2 gig Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT Display Adapter
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Dual Booting XP and Mint 7.
Quimber

Post by Quimber »

Problem solved.
It was beyond my expertise to get my camera .mov files to play smoothly in Mint 7, which for me is a deal breaker, so I reformated my Linux partition and installed Ubuntu 9.04. Now .mov files play well. I will miss the Mint interface but I can change Ubuntu to look nicer than it's default.

Return to “Sound”