Unable to watch CBS in Google Chrome.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Unable to watch CBS in Google Chrome.

Post by Landon »

Hi,

Linux Mint 17.3.
Google - Chrome browser.

I signed up for CBS yesterday mainly so that I could watch "Star Trek Discovery", I can find the show and make it all the way to where I can see the very first frame of the video but when I click on the Play button nothing happens.

Meanwhile over in Firefox... after signing into cbs.com and finding the program and hitting the play button it gave me a couple of banner alerts to click on and then said that it needed to download something to make it work, and then about five seconds later the show was playing and its worked fine ever since.

But back to Google - Chrome, I've gone to...

chrome://settings/
chrome://plugins/
chrome://extensions/

And turned on everything that I can think of that might be interfering with this working and verified that "Widevine Content Decryption Module" is located in chrome://plugins/ and the little box is checked, but none the less it still doesn't do anything when I hit the Play button.

I even went to chrome://chrome-urls/ and tried to find anything that might have CDM buried in it somewhere in the hopes that I just need to turn it on or enable it or something but I couldn't find it anywhere, there are no level 1, 2, or 3 updates waiting in the Update Manager.

I just checked in chrome://components/ "Widevine Content Decryption Module" is not listed there, should it be? And if it should be there how do I get it in there?

Any other suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Unable to watch CBS in Google Chrome.

Post by Landon »

Well...

After spending hours researching this and getting nowhere I removed Google - Chrome from the Software Manager and then went to the Google - Chrome website and did a download - install directly from their page, the entire install was automated and I didn't have to do anything other then entering the Admin password for my system.

I previously had Google Chrome ver. 56 and now have "Google Chrome 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)" and watching things on CBS.com worked fine on the first try.

So please consider this issue resolved.

Anyone on the Administration side of Linux - Mint please push this down via the Software Updater.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Landon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 am ... Anyone on the Administration side of Linux - Mint please push this down via the Software Updater.
Why? I installed from the regular .deb file and I have the same release you now have, just using the update manager as usual. How in the hell did you end up using such an outdated Chrome release? Using a deprecated browser is an excellent way to get hacked.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Landon »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:35 am
Landon wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 am ... Anyone on the Administration side of Linux - Mint please push this down via the Software Updater.
Why? I installed from the regular .deb file and I have the same release you now have, just using the update manager as usual. How in the hell did you end up using such an outdated Chrome release? Using a deprecated browser is an excellent way to get hacked.
To answer your question I really have no idea how I ended up with such an outdated release of Google Chrome, I keep automatic updates turned on (Update Manager) and take care of things as soon as it says that something needs attention, if there are any errors I do whatever is needed to address them, and then finally whenever it says "Your system is up to date" and I get the green check mark I consider the system updated and whatever I have for software is whatever the latest supported version is for whatever version of Linux Mint that I have.

Going to Google and installing their version of Chrome was just one more thing to try and hope that it did something that the Software Updater couldn't do, and low and behold it actually worked much to my surprise.

What I would really like to know is when we are getting a new version of GIMP? I've been stuck on v2.8 for years even though there are newer versions out there, and I just updated someone else's system to 19.1 today and its still has GIMP v2.8.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Landon,

Support for Linux Mint 17.3 ended, you should really consider installing Linux Mint 18.3 or 19.1.

I can watch CBS in my Google Chrome and other Chrome/Chromium based browsers in Linux Mint 19.x or KDE Neon both based on Ubuntu18.04 Bionic.

You can install Gimp v2.10 in Linux Mint 19.x using their PPA or by downloading their AppImage which also works for 18.x.

Release Continuous · aferrero2707/gimp-appimage
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

Current Gimp AppImage 07-25-2019
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Sound”