[SOLVED] Discord doesn't pick up mic sound anymore and noise cancellation doesn't work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yamete

[SOLVED] Discord doesn't pick up mic sound anymore and noise cancellation doesn't work

Post by yamete »

I don't think this is a discord problem since audio has worked fine the whole month since I switched to linux and before before this evening discord picked up the sound perfectly. It isn't a headset issue because I tried it on my phone and it worked fine. The discord web client picks up the sound but with heavy noise. Can it be Pulseaudio? I've even tried reverting the system with Timeshift to a point were the microphone was working right. Any idea of what I should try next? Has anyone had this issue before? Also, when noise cancellation is enabled in discord it removes all sound which it didn't do a couple of hours ago.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Discord doesn't pick up mic sound anymore and noise cancellation doesn't work

Post by MrEen »

Hi yamete.

Usually when sound just stops working, deleting the files in ~/.config/pulse then running pulseaudio -k in the terminal will fix it.
yamete

Re: Discord doesn't pick up mic sound anymore and noise cancellation doesn't work

Post by yamete »

MrEen wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm Hi yamete.

Usually when sound just stops working, deleting the files in ~/.config/pulse then running pulseaudio -k in the terminal will fix it.
By doing this it seems to have fixed the issue on Pulseaudio's side but it still doesn't work in discord. I'll investigate further on this tomorrow. I've also tried reinstalling discord and cleaning the discord cache and userdata and it didn't fix the issue.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

1. After that last command I gave, the browser probably needs to be restarted.

2. Failing that, try a full shutdown, not a reboot. Leave it off for a few minutes, then fire it up and test.

Good luck.
yamete

Post by yamete »

MrEen wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 pm 1. After that last command I gave, the browser probably needs to be restarted.

2. Failing that, try a full shutdown, not a reboot. Leave it off for a few minutes, then fire it up and test.

Good luck.
It sorta works now as it should. After doing the first thing you said Pulseaudio stopped picking up static noise but discord still had issues. I have now disabled noise reduction in discord because it eliminated all sounds from the microphone. A cold boot also didn't help with the problem in discord. With noise cancellation disabled it works almost as before and I don't know how much static noise if any gets through to the receiving end but my friends can at least hear me now. I'll mark the thread as solved and thanks for your help.

Return to “Sound”