No Audio - Acer Aspire Switch 10 - bytcr-rt5640

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sglasgowaz

Re: No Audio - Acer Aspire Switch 10 - bytcr-rt5640

Post by sglasgowaz »

Well, that was a rabbit hole I didn't want to go down, trying Fedora. Did Live first, no sound, but figured, hey, might not have it for Live. Keep in mind Wifi worked in Live. And I should know better because it really doesn't matter what distro you use if you know Linux, since you can pretty much make any distro like a different one, but I really don't want to go further into the rabbit hole and try to remember all the kernel building things again or I would have went with Arch.

Considering I was not near my desktop and only have a portable drive with me, I should have known better than to try anything extensive. Let alone at 4 am first thing in the morning before ingesting my go go juice. Anyway, accidentally wiped my EFI partition (was trying to wipe my SD card which said was readonly) and the tool went straight back to primary and I didn't pay attention. Anyway, I used to have Grub with boot options on my external drive, so figured no big whoop, can redo the EFI partition from my external. Nope...at some point in the last year I must have wiped my portable drive. So no boot. Oops.

Hit local library with my external drive to use theirs to reinstall Grub so I can boot (still have Mint on main drive on Acer Switch). Naw, they lock down their computers so you can't run any image tool (tried three of them I had on my portable and even downloaded a fourth to try). And keep in mind, these systems are setup to use virtuals so it's not like anyone could hurt the actual systems.

Anyway, got my desktop sent to me (without trackball or keyboard, but have touch screen monitor) so I eventually got back to booting into Ubuntu (had mint ISO on my external drive which I had to wipe since the tools ONLY install to the entire drive).

So, lost a whole week which mainly was due to no keyboard or mouse, and limited wifi, so I am just working on Ubuntu to try and get sound working, and will hold off on Mint even though I actually liked it. Well, at least until I get my external bootable again from multiple distros and OS's again for backup or get back home.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
padawanjp

Post by padawanjp »

Sorry to bump on this not so old thread but I'm having the exact same problem with the OP. I also have an Acer Switch 10 netbook and freshly installed linux mint. Im very new to linux nnd I really love mint. One thing that's bugging me is the sound problem. I just can't get any sound from it. I've tried the UCM files already. Just wondering if there's any update to this. Thanks
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi padawanjp, and welcome to the forum.

Please post the output of the terminal commands inxi -Fxz and aplay -l so we can see if you have exactly the same system as the OP.

Not sure that we can offer anything new if you do, but I'm willing to give it some effort if you're up for it.

Apologies for missing your post for a few days.

Return to “Sound”