Can't Play Amazon Video In Linux Browsers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allenM2011

Can't Play Amazon Video In Linux Browsers

Post by allenM2011 »

Just returned to Linux Mint (19.0) after using Windows 10 for the past four years and right away I'm confronted with DRM issues. I can not play Amazon Prime video with either Firefox v. 64 or Opera v. 57. Both browsers claim that they have DRM software but when I try to follow their directions to activate that software, I find that it is non-existent in both browsers. Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this issue without going back to Windows 10? It is true that Chrome browser does have the DRM software available but there's one problem: Chrome won't open in Linux Mint 19.0 most of the time! I finally did get it to work today after trying off and on for several hours. It finally just popped up. Any suggestion as to why the erratic behavior I'm seeing from Chrome? It works fine when it works but like I said, it doesn't work most of the time. This is only about the fourth time I've gotten it to open in the past two weeks.

I should mention that Firefox and Opera will play Youtube video with no problem but neither will play Amazon Prime video and that's where I do a lot of my movie watching.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can't Play Amazon Video In Linux Browsers

Post by trytip »

google-chrome-stable in terminal?
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Firefox 65 plays Amazon Prime Video perfectly for me.
Check these Firefox settings:

Preferences>General: Play DRM-controlled content - enabled
Plugins: Widevine Content Decryption Module - set to Always Activate.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
sjmathis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sjmathis »

Firefox 65.0 works fine for me. I have DRM on in General Preferences. I'm not using any plugins. I'm running Mint 17.3.
I open Amazon in Firefox, log in to Amazon, click the Prime tab, click the watch now button, pick a movie and it plays without any problems.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

allenM2011 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:55 am ... Chrome won't open in Linux Mint 19.0 most of the time....
WHich version do you have installed? The stable (google-chrome-stable) or more bleeding edge? If the latter that may be the issue, you want the stable version. You're the only user I've seen here with this issue.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Sound”