Mint 19.1 TV HDMI Audio/video distorted(slow)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlwnewton19

Mint 19.1 TV HDMI Audio/video distorted(slow)

Post by jlwnewton19 »

I'm about as new as it gets. I have spent 3 nights trying to find the answer to why the sound via my display port(has HDMI adapter on it) to TV causes the video to play slow and the sound to be weird. I'll admit I could have unwittingly ran across it. I tried pulseaudio. and a sudo command to make sure everything was up to date, no change. When I set the sound output to HDMI and use the test button, instead of saying front left in a clear female voice, like it does using the tower's internal speaker, it says ffrrooonnnttt lllleeefffttt in a low tone. Any video I try to play sounds the same as the test along with the video playing slow too. I'm certain this is a Linux issue because I just switched to a new hard drive(SSD) and OS(linux), and the old HDD with Win10 has no issues with sound. I could hook that drive back up and I know it'd work, because I was using a USB to boot Linux for a few days prior to install, and had the same issue.
IDK how to do the thing where others make the CMD prompt easy to read, sorry... Thank you for the help!

Code: Select all

jerry@Zeno~$ inxi
CPU~Dual core AMD A4-5300B APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) speed/max~1906/3400 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 Up~1:15 Mem~1678.4/15295.6MB HDD~250.1GB(11.7% used) Procs~186 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56  
jerry@Zeno:~$  inxi -Fxz
System:    Host:Zeno  Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: 10BSS00W00 v: ThinkCentre M78 serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Annapurna CRB v: NOK serial: N/A
           BIOS: LENOVO v: FNKT24AUS date: 02/13/2014
CPU:       Dual core AMD A4-5300B APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) 
           arch: Piledriver rev.1 cache: 2048 KB

flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 13574
           clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1634 MHz 2: 1855 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7480D]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.79hz
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-45-generic, LLVM 7.0.0)
           version: 4.3 Mesa 18.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-45-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCIE Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e300 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0f0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (11.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 214G used: 13G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.32GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 16.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 5.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 186 Uptime: 1:16 Memory: 1692.7/15295.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 19.1 TV HDMI Audio/video distorted(slow)

Post by MrEen »

Hi jlwnewton19, and welcome to the forum.

As a first step, I'd suggest deleting the files in /home/yourusername/.config/pulse then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal. Wait a few seconds then test the sound.

This deletes the configuration files for pulseaudio, that are then replaced with a fresh set after restarting the daemon, which should happen automatically after that terminal command.

If that doesn't help, we have a few other things worth trying. If we need to try other things, please paste back the output of running aplay -l in the terminal in your next reply. When pasting large blocks of text, please enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

Good luck.
jlwnewton19

Post by jlwnewton19 »

Thank you for the reply. I deleted files and ran command twice. No sound via HDMI output and the video still plays slow. I still have good audio/video when switching back to tower speaker.

jerry@Zeno:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC662 rev3 Analog [ALC662 rev3 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Having no sound now probably means sound is trying to play to the wrong device.

Install and run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol.) On the Output Devices tab, you should see Port settings that make sense. While something with sound is playing, go to the Playback tab and if necessary switch the playback to the HDMI option.

While sound is still (trying to) play run pacmd list-sinks in the terminal and paste that output back here, along with the output of cat /etc/pulse/daemon.conf | grep sample-rate please.
jlwnewton19

Post by jlwnewton19 »

So, after shutting down for the night and spending an hour trying to get things to boot back up, I'm back to slow audio/video. I re-tried your first response and no change, still slow. I did go ahead and run the commands you asked for while A/V was playing slow. Thank you again for the help, and I'm sorry my symptoms aren't even consistent... Maybe worth note, I installed a CPU upgrade I ordered, CPU is now an A10 5800k

jerry@Zeno:~$ pacmd list-sinks
2 sink(s) available.
  * index: 0
	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_01.1.hdmi-stereo>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	flags: HARDWARE DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: RUNNING
	suspend cause: 
	priority: 9030
	volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 24.91 ms
	max request: 4 KiB
	max rewind: 64 KiB
	monitor source: 0
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	used by: 1
	linked by: 3
	configured latency: 25.01 ms; range is 0.50 .. 371.52 ms
	card: 0 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_01.1>
	module: 7
	properties:
		alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
		device.api = "alsa"
		device.class = "sound"
		alsa.class = "generic"
		alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
		alsa.name = "HDMI 0"
		alsa.id = "HDMI 0"
		alsa.subdevice = "0"
		alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
		alsa.device = "3"
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "HDA ATI HDMI"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb44000 irq 47"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:01.1"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/sound/card0"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "1002"
		device.vendor.name = "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]"
		device.product.id = "9902"
		device.product.name = "Trinity HDMI Audio Controller"
		device.form_factor = "internal"
		device.string = "hdmi:0"
		device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
		device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
		device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
		device.profile.name = "hdmi-stereo"
		device.profile.description = "Digital Stereo (HDMI)"
		device.description = "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)"
		alsa.mixer_name = "ATI R6xx HDMI"
		alsa.components = "HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100300"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	ports:
		hdmi-output-0: HDMI / DisplayPort (priority 5900, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
			properties:
				device.icon_name = "video-display"
	active port: <hdmi-output-0>
    index: 1
	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: IDLE
	suspend cause: 
	priority: 9039
	volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB,   front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 39.89 ms
	max request: 6 KiB
	max rewind: 64 KiB
	monitor source: 1
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	used by: 0
	linked by: 1
	configured latency: 40.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 371.52 ms
	card: 1 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_14.2>
	module: 8
	properties:
		alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
		device.api = "alsa"
		device.class = "sound"
		alsa.class = "generic"
		alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
		alsa.name = "ALC662 rev3 Analog"
		alsa.id = "ALC662 rev3 Analog"
		alsa.subdevice = "0"
		alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
		alsa.device = "0"
		alsa.card = "1"
		alsa.card_name = "HD-Audio Generic"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb40000 irq 16"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:14.2"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card1"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "1022"
		device.vendor.name = "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]"
		device.product.id = "780d"
		device.product.name = "FCH Azalia Controller"
		device.form_factor = "internal"
		device.string = "front:1"
		device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
		device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
		device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
		device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
		device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo"
		device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
		alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC662 rev3"
		alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0662,17aa3089,00100300"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	ports:
		analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:

analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority 10000, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
			properties:
				device.icon_name = "audio-speakers"
		analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
			properties:
				device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
	active port: <analog-output-speaker>

jerry@Zeno:~$ cat /etc/pulse/daemon.conf | grep sample-rate
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000

MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

My apologies jlwnewton19 for not getting back to you sooner. Don't know how I missed your response.

See what happens if you boot into the previous kernel. If grub doesn't show when booting normally, press Shift during boot up to force it. Select Advanced Options and arrow down to the previous kernel.

The past few days there have been an unusual amount of audio issues with HDMI, so I'm wondering if the newest kernel might be to blame. If the sound is just as bad, reboot again normally so we're back to square one and I'll see what else we can try.

EDIT: If you end up back at square one, paste back the output of running dmesg | grep HDMI in the terminal.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: Are you booting up with the HDMI cable already connected? If not, try rebooting after it's connected to see if that fixes it.
jlwnewton19

Post by jlwnewton19 »

I have been booting with the HDMI connected. I'm having a booting issue as well apparently because I couldn't boot either normally, have to use the recovery mode. I solved this issue by re-installing and plan to see if for whatever reason booting gets progressively worse again like it did after previous install. I know that's a separate issue, but I don't want to leave out info that could be important, and its the reason for my late reply. I'm back to no sound via HDMI. Here's the output for suggested command. I ran it both while playing video and not, no difference.

jerry@Zeno:~$ dmesg | grep HDMI
[   10.647495] input: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/sound/card0/input5
Maybe worth noting, the GPU I have is the one in the CPU which is rather outdated. I do have a GTX1050 on its way, would that help things?
*Edit* upon reboot, no visual output after post but I had a hunch and unplugged then replugged HDMI, it had booted fine but wasn't giving me visual output. Maybe I haven't been having a booting issue, just graphics output issue and I have to un/re plug HDMI cable to see anything?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

The GTX1050 may very well solve the issue. It'll be using different drivers than your AMD. Here's my info similar to yours for graphics:

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7560D]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-43-generic, LLVM 6.0.0) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
Unfortunately, I don't have a HDMI connection to try to test . The version differences between our machines are mainly because I'm still using 18.3.

If you don't want to wait for the 1050, you could try booting into a previously installed kernel and see if that helps, but more likely we need a change in the graphics area. I have no idea if Mesa has anything to do with it. In fact, I doubt it.

The 4.18 kernel could also help, but it may not.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Here's a real goofy thing to try. Change your screen resolution, then change it back. Now test the sound.
jlwnewton19

Post by jlwnewton19 »

Got the 1050, directions say to insert chip, plug display cable into it, and boot. Insert install disk and window should pop up automatically, if not, find setup.exe and double-click. No video output when plugged into the 1050. Disk says for windows 7-10 and won't run(not surprised). Setup.exe throws an error when I try to open it. Currently downloading Linux driver from Nvidia - https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 1596/en-us - tried a different one from a forum with a guy having issues as well, it got all the way to the end and said some of the code was wrong/bad(45-minutes). I had no idea this wouldn't be plug'n'play, and am a little frustrated... I opened the driver manager to see if anything was there, nothing. I re-booted and still no output from GPU. The load window for the driver is beyond slow and will just quit working if I click on/move it, its been 15 minutes and I'm about 25% of the way loaded.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm pretty useless when it comes to graphics cards. You might want to start a topic for that in the Hardware section, or in the Graphics subsection.

About all I can offer is, did you check your Display settings?

I do know there's a PPA you may need to add for more up-to-date drivers, that is added thusly:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
Following that, you use the Driver Manager to install and activate the appropriate drivers then reboot.

I do not know how risky this all is, so I'd recommend making a Timeshift snapshot before starting. Or you could browse the topics in the graphics section and see if there are other suggestions.
jlwnewton19

Post by jlwnewton19 »

Yeah, I figured it'd be new topic if I can't manage it on my own. Hopefully I don't have to post in the forum for help with it. You've been beyond helpful already, I'm just a super-noob. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Hi, I've just come across this thread, I can't offer too much in the way of help, but, a few things do spring to mind.
a) you said via my display port(has HDMI adapter on it) is there an adaptor plugged into your video card? What sort?
b) am I right in assuming that you have a surround sound system attached some where? Are you sure everything is connected to the correct outputs.

FWIW I am running a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT plugged into a TV (HDMI) and Monitor (VGA), Audio is via onboard AMD chipset and all outputs work exactly as they should. My System is: Mint 19 Tara, Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 running Cinnamon 3.8.9.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Another option, as per this old bug report is to update ALSA.

Instructions are here. When it sends you offsite to get a .deb file, choose the bionic version for Mint 19.x

Return to “Sound”