[SOLVED] !! It would be nice to find a solution to this intermittant audio problem

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: It would be nice to find a solution to this intermittant audio problem

Post by MrEen »

Hi ES44AC8102. Sorry I've been away from the forum for a week and am just now getting back into the groove.

Once again, I do not see anything in the dmesg output that gives any hint why pulseaudio needs restarting. I can only assume it's some kind of race condition where something isn't yet loaded when pulseaudio fires up that is causing an issue.

I don't think there is really anything more we can do to try to figure it out without the help of ALSA/pulseaudio developers. If you want to try moving the commands to the proper location just say so and I'll double check everything necessary. I think we may want to add a pulseaudio kill command on entering sleep mode, then restart it on resume. That might get us past the last hurdle.
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

MrEen,
Welcome back! Fortuitous, as I have been away too :D

Well if it’s not too much trouble we (YOU) can put the script where it belongs and see what happens, but of course this is all on you, I can't be much help, if any with a script of any sort.

So when you have nothing better to do and want to work on it, I'm all for it! :)

I'll keep checking my email alert and watch in here to see how you are getting on.

Your interest in MY problem is most appreciated, is all I can say!

Cheers and carry on,

"ES"
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Sure. I'll throw together a list after work tomorrow. It's almost bed time here. I should have it posted about 20 hours after the timestamp on this post. Maybe a little less.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

You might want to make sure you have a working backup before doing this. I am assuming there's nothing wrong with the code, and am just changing the pertinent pieces for your use-case which includes using the username fred. If you do this on another system with a different username, you'll need to change fred.service as appropriate.

First delete the /lib/systemd/system-sleep/killpa.sh file (or move it to another location to save in case you want to revert back to it.)

Then in the terminal, sudo touch /etc/systemd/system/resume-fix-pulseaudio@.service followed by gksudo xed /etc/systemd/system/resume-fix-pulseaudio@.service and paste this in:

Code: Select all

[Unit]
Description=Fix PulseAudio after resume from suspend
After=suspend.target

[Service]
User=%I
Type=oneshot
Environment="XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/%U"
ExecStart=/usr/bin/pulseaudio -k

[Install]
WantedBy=suspend.target
Save that file and close it, then back in the terminal type systemctl enable resume-fix-pulseaudio@fred.service, followed by systemctl --system daemon-reload

I am not 100% certain ExecStart=/usr/bin/pulseaudio -k is going to work as we want. I am hopeful though.

Good luck.
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

Hi MrEen,

Well I took the bull by the horns, at least I thought it was the horns, and decided to install the script.

Had a bit of trouble removing the script you made, due to my ignorance of all the terminal commands, but I got it removed. Now on to installing the new one. fingers crossed!

"ES"
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Good luck, ES44AC8102!
ES44AC8102
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ES44AC8102 »

HI MrEen,
I got it installed and rebooted and I had sound! Now we can see if over time that continues, it all went without a hitch... that scares me LOL :shock:

I see you are online now so have a nice rest of your day and I'll keep you informed! Many thanks!

" ES"

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”