FLAC to MP3 with ciano - doesn't work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

FLAC to MP3 with ciano - doesn't work

Post by mogette »

CIANO seems to be an easy, convenient tool for converting audio files but it freezes when I try to convert FLAC to MP3. It works converting to OGG and AAC. I have read somewhere about codecs and LAME and gstreamer add-ons but all the pages I have looked up are a bit to techy for someone like me. Is there a simple guide? Or another program which will do simple audio file conversions? Thanks!
(I wasn't sure if I should enter this under "Software" or "Sound". Hope this is right ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: FLAC to MP3 with ciano - doesn't work

Post by catweazel »

mogette wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:06 am CIANO seems to be an easy, convenient tool for converting audio files but it freezes when I try to convert FLAC to MP3.
Try VLC. On the Media menu, select Convert/Save, add the .flac and choose mp3 and the output.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...fre:ac is nice & simple.
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogette »

Reply to Australia: Thanks but...

ʇı ǝʌןos ʇ,usǝop ʎɹɹos

I may be doing it wrong, but with VLC I seem to have to enter a destination file for each track, which is tiresome (because I have lot of music). And it seems to always want to convert my files to MP4 by default.

Ciano was good because it is a simple drag n drop frontend and converted the filenames directly.

I have now installed XCFA which seems to have more functions than I need and still (unless I am doing it wrong) requires me to tick each file for conversion individually. The FLAC files of my 10 CD box of Billie Holiday are a lot of ticking ...

Reply to Greece:

As a non-expert, I have only installed programs that are available in the Software Manager. This fre:ac doesn't even seem to be available in the Synaptic Manager, so I am a bit diffident. But thanks.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Try soundconverter (that's the package name). It's in the repos, uses the LAME encoder, is really very easy to use, and it's not flaky.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Soundconverter, as Hosier Bob said, or KDE's soundKonverter, which is less simple and more configurable, are both good GUI apps for doing batch conversions.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
mogette
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogette »

Thanks all. We haven't discovered why Ciano doesn't work, so I won't mark it as "solved", but I now have two other programs, freac and soundconverter which fit the bill.
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

Post by phil995511 »

SoundConverter is the best one :)
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Sound Converter is what i always use. Use it to create mp3's for my phone, from my ripped CD FLAC files. Very straight forward, and never not worked
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Sound”