does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
PATRIOT7ME
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm

does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby PATRIOT7ME » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:28 pm

itunes won't work on linux.

Does anybody else know another way?

User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1886
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby lagagnon » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Banshee or gtkPod should do what you want.

PATRIOT7ME
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby PATRIOT7ME » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:34 pm

lagagnon wrote:Banshee or gtkPod should do what you want.

where can I find those or do you have a link. I tried to find one of them and couldn't find it

Copa360
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:25 am

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby Copa360 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm

PATRIOT7ME wrote:
lagagnon wrote:Banshee or gtkPod should do what you want.

where can I find those or do you have a link. I tried to find one of them and couldn't find it


I've never heard of gtkPod, but Banshee should be in the Mint or Ubuntu repositories. I just installed it and I'm just running the default repos.

PATRIOT7ME
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby PATRIOT7ME » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Copa360 wrote:
PATRIOT7ME wrote:
lagagnon wrote:Banshee or gtkPod should do what you want.

where can I find those or do you have a link. I tried to find one of them and couldn't find it


I've never heard of gtkPod, but Banshee should be in the Mint or Ubuntu repositories. I just installed it and I'm just running the default repos.

thanks i just installed. Do your song automatically become AAC format when you put them on Banshee?

kei84
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby kei84 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 pm

You can use Soundconverter. It's in the repository.

User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby linuxviolin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:59 pm

kei84 wrote:You can use Soundconverter. It's in the repository.

Hmm, I'm not sure/don't think that SoundConverter can convert in AAC... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

PATRIOT7ME
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby PATRIOT7ME » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Can someone please give me a real damn answer.

User avatar
Carl
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: West Sussex, UK

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby Carl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:45 pm

PATRIOT7ME wrote:Can someone please give me a real damn answer.


My understanding is that aac is a lossy codec? like mp3... you will loose audio quality by converting between lossy formats if you were converting from say wav, wma or flac you would probably have more luck as most decent applications wont do what you want as it's not really a good thing to do :?

why do you want to convert mp3 to aac?
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Image

User avatar
Carl
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: West Sussex, UK

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby Carl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:48 pm

linuxviolin wrote:
kei84 wrote:You can use Soundconverter. It's in the repository.

Hmm, I'm not sure/don't think that SoundConverter can convert in AAC... :roll:


You are mistaken Sound Converter is perfectly capable of doing this :wink:
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Image

User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: does anyone know how to convert MP3 to AAC format on linux?

Postby linuxviolin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Carl wrote:
linuxviolin wrote:
kei84 wrote:You can use Soundconverter. It's in the repository.

Hmm, I'm not sure/don't think that SoundConverter can convert in AAC... :roll:


You are mistaken Sound Converter is perfectly capable of doing this :wink:

Yes you're right, now SoundConverter can convert to AAC, .m4a only, but if you use one the last versions. e.g. Debian, even in Sid, has only 1.3.1, so no AAC support! I guess AAC encoding support has been added with the version 1.3.2 (http://developer.berlios.de/project/shownotes.php?release_id=14985)...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)


Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests