LM 19.1 Playing Blu Ray Movies

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimthedj65
Level 1
Level 1

LM 19.1 Playing Blu Ray Movies

Post by jimthedj65 »

Hi All,

I hope this is useful to someone, I came across a way to get BluRay working on my LinuxMint 19.1 setup Link Here and halfway down with pretty pictures, worked for me.No support for menus but at least it plays the main moviehttps://www.howtogeek.com/240487/how-to ... -on-linux/

How to Play Blu-rays on Linux with MakeMKV and VLC
If you need to play a wider variety of Blu-ray discs, there’s another method that people report more success with: you can use MakeMKV to decode the Blu-ray and VLC to play it as it’s being decoded.

MakeMKV isn’t an open-source tool. It’s proprietary software with a free 30-day trial, and will theoretically cost $50 to continue using after that. However, MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, and it’s been in beta for three years. You’ll just have to check this forum post every month and refresh the beta key to continue using MakeMKV, assuming it stays in beta.

Another forum post provides instructions for installing MakeMKV on Linux. However, Ubuntu users can install MakeMKV using the much easier apt-get command. Currently, the most up-to-date PPA we’ve found for this is the makemkv-beta PPA. To install MakeMKV from this repository, open a terminal and run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin makemkv-oss
You’ll also need VLC installed, as described above. Once you have both programs, open the MakeMKV application from your menu, select your Blu-ray disc drive, and click the “Stream” icon on the toolbar. You’ll be given a local address.

Open VLC, click the “Media” menu, click “Open Network Stream,” and provide that address. It will look similar to the following address:

http://localhost:51000/stream/title0.ts
The main movie is usually either “title0” or “title1”–choose the one that looks larger in MakeMKV.

MakeMKV will decode the Blu-ray video and stream it to VLC. Despite the word “stream,” this all happens on your computer, no internet required. VLC plays the video, but MakeMKV is doing the heavy lifting in the background.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”