[SOLVED] Sound "output profiles" keep switching to non-working ones

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Sound "output profiles" keep switching to non-working ones

Post by qisforc »

SEE SOLUTION AT THE END OF THIS POST

Hi everybody,

I have headphones (2.1) and speakers (SPDIF) both permanently connected to my PC. I set up this mint system 3 days ago and everything worked out of the box. But yesterday I wanted to install a tool to easily switch between those two devices and thus I installed the "indicator-sound-switcher" package. The program didn't work though (it just wouldn't start when I clicked on it) so I uninstalled it a few minutes later.

And ever since that, all of a sudden, I get the following stupid behavior:
When I switch from speaker device to headphone device in the sound settings, the output profile ALWAYS defaults to "analog stereo output" which results in a non working headset. When I change the profile to "Analog surround 2.1" the headphone works again, but when I change devices back to my speakers and then back to my headset the output profile is again defaulted back to the non working "analog stero output" profile.

What can I do? The indicator-sound-switcher thing seems to have destroyed my sound settings.

I wanted to use timeshift to use old config files for my sound settings but I couldn't find where they are located.

Thanks in advance.

SOLUTION:

1. Find out <cardname>. Type:

Code: Select all

pacmd list-cards | grep 'name: <'
In my case: alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0

2. Find out <profilename>. Type:

pacmd list-cards | grep 'active profile'
In my case: output:analog-surround-40+input:analog-stereo

3. Add

set-card-profile <cardname> <profilename>
at the end of /etc/pulse/default.pa with the values for <cardname> and <profilename> that you found out in 1. and 2.

4. Type

pulseaudio -k
and then

pulseaudio --start
Done!

To switch between sound outputs (headphones and speakers in my case) using keyboard shortcuts I've just used the Cinnamon Keyboard -> Shortcuts application with these commands:

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:analog-surround-40+input:analog-stereo

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:iec958-stereo+input:analog-stereo
Of course you have to adjust the parameters to your individual values for <cardname> and <profilename>
Last edited by qisforc on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sound "output profiles" keep switching to non-working ones

Post by Flemur »

qisforc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 am I have headphones (2.1) and speakers (SPDIF) both permanently connected to my PC. I set up this mint system 3 days ago and everything worked out of the box....
What can I do? The indicator-sound-switcher thing seems to have destroyed my sound settings.
I wanted to use timeshift to use old config files for my sound settings but I couldn't find where they are located.
If your setup worked as desired without you doing a bunch of fiddling, try removing your "pulseaudio" files, which are

rm -r ~/.config/pulse*

rm -r .pulse* 
and restarting pulseaudio (or reboot or logout/login)
https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

Flemur wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:48 am
qisforc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 am I have headphones (2.1) and speakers (SPDIF) both permanently connected to my PC. I set up this mint system 3 days ago and everything worked out of the box....
If your setup worked as desired without you doing a bunch of fiddling, try removing your "pulseaudio" files, which are

rm -r ~/.config/pulse*

rm -r .pulse* 
and restarting pulseaudio (or reboot or logout/login)
https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio
Thanks man, but unfortunately that didn't help.. :/

Another strange thing (don't know if potentially of interest):
Lets say I'm listening to music on my speakers. Then I decide to switch to my headset and click on the "Line Out Built-in Audio" icon in the devices section of the sound options.
Then I STILL hear music from my speakers, which I think is rather strange I'd say. Like already described above, this is due to the non-working "analog-stereo-output" profile which is loaded. When I switch to "Analog surround 2.1 output" my speakers become quiet and my headphone is working again.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

qisforc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am Lets say I'm listening to music on my speakers. Then I decide to switch to my headset and click on the "Line Out Built-in Audio" icon in the devices section of the sound options.
Then I STILL hear music from my speakers, which I think is rather strange I'd say. Like already described above, this is due to the non-working "analog-stereo-output" profile which is loaded. When I switch to "Analog surround 2.1 output" my speakers become quiet and my headphone is working again.
This might help (similar headphone issue, gets reset after booting), and with your initial problem:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175564133/

This part:
"alsactl store" again as root after setting things up in pavucontrol
The file
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state
saves your alsa settings, I have "mute-speakers when 'phones in" set and it looks like:

control.20 {
        iface MIXER
        name 'Auto-Mute Mode'
        value Enabled
        comment {
            access 'read write'
            type ENUMERATED
            count 1
            item.0 Disabled
            item.1 Enabled
        }
    }
Disclaimer: I don't use pulseaudio!
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

Flemur wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am This might help (similar headphone issue, gets reset after booting), and with your initial problem:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175564133/

This part:
"alsactl store" again as root after setting things up in pavucontrol
The file
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state
saves your alsa settings, I have "mute-speakers when 'phones in" set and it looks like:

control.20 {
        iface MIXER
        name 'Auto-Mute Mode'
        value Enabled
        comment {
            access 'read write'
            type ENUMERATED
            count 1
            item.0 Disabled
            item.1 Enabled
        }
    }
Disclaimer: I don't use pulseaudio!
Oh god, so much stuff that I don't understand..

But my "control.20" subsection is completely identical to what you've pasted. However, I don't know how you know that this section is the "mute-speakers when 'phones in"-section.

I also deleted the /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file and replaced it with an older timeshift version but that didn't help either :(

I'm so close to just copy the old timeshift root directory over my current one, f*** it all up and then reinstall my system..

I've tried to switch over to Linux so many times already and everytime some obscure things like this here happened and things that shouldn't have become complicated became complicated and I lost my nerves and switched back to windows.
I'm really dedicated to make the switch this time because Win7 is about to lose its support and I definately won't use Win10, but I'm already getting really frustrated when things start off like this. I mean, I don't want to do any fancy special stuff or play video games. I just want a working office machine and watch some youtube and amazon videos every now and then..

Why does this stupid system sound app think it can change its values by itself? Why does this happen after I install and remove an application?... :(
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

qisforc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 pm Oh god, so much stuff that I don't understand..

But my "control.20" subsection is completely identical to what you've pasted. However, I don't know how you know that this section is the "mute-speakers when 'phones in"-section.
I reset the head-phone mute with qasmixer (set it to not mute speakers), checked the asound file and it was the same (mute=enabled); plugging in headphones did NOT mute the speakers; then I ran

sudo alsactl store
and asound had:

name 'Auto-Mute Mode'
        value Disabled
I'm so close to just copy the old timeshift root directory over my current one, f*** it all up and then reinstall my system..
Check your forum messages...!
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

Flemur wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:51 pm
qisforc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 pm Oh god, so much stuff that I don't understand..

I reset the head-phone mute with qasmixer (set it to not mute speakers), checked the asound file and it was the same (mute=enabled); plugging in headphones did NOT mute the speakers; then I ran

sudo alsactl store
and asound had:

name 'Auto-Mute Mode'
        value Disabled
I'm not sure what you want to tell me with this. I set the correct output profile and ran "sudo alsactl store" (if that is what you wanted to suggest) but still: When I switch to speakers and back to headphones, then the wrong non-working profile that plays over the speakers is loaded.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi qisforc, and welcome to the forum.

Instead of trying to hunt down what the other program did, let's just set a default profile and be done with it. Start a song or video and while it's running (and working properly) run this in the terminal: pacmd list-sinks

Paste the output back here, then I can give you instructions to make the working profile the default profile.
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

MrEen wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 pm Hi qisforc, and welcome to the forum.

Instead of trying to hunt down what the other program did, let's just set a default profile and be done with it. Start a song or video and while it's running (and working properly) run this in the terminal: pacmd list-sinks

Paste the output back here, then I can give you instructions to make the working profile the default profile.
Hey there!

The output when listening on my headphone (with the "Analog Surround 4.0 Output" profile) is:

1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 68
	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-surround-40>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: RUNNING
	suspend cause: 
	priority: 9039
	volume: front-left: 32768 /  50% / -18,06 dB,   front-right: 32768 /  50% / -18,06 dB,   rear-left: 32768 /  50% / -18,06 dB,   rear-right: 32768 /  50% / -18,06 dB
	        balance 0,00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 65,89 ms
	max request: 31 KiB
	max rewind: 64 KiB
	monitor source: 69
	sample spec: s16le 4ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right
	             Surround 4.0
	used by: 1
	linked by: 1
	configured latency: 90,00 ms; range is 0,50 .. 185,76 ms
	card: 0 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0>
	module: 7
	properties:
		alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
		device.api = "alsa"
		device.class = "sound"
		alsa.class = "generic"
		alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
		alsa.name = "ALC892 Analog"
		alsa.id = "ALC892 Analog"
		alsa.subdevice = "0"
		alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
		alsa.device = "0"
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f00000 irq 34"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "8086"
		device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
		device.product.id = "1c20"
		device.product.name = "6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (P8H67 Series Motherboard)"
		device.form_factor = "internal"
		device.string = "surround40:0"
		device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
		device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
		device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
		device.profile.name = "analog-surround-40"
		device.profile.description = "Analog Surround 4.0"
		device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Surround 4.0"
		alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC892"
		alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0892,1043841b,00100302 HDA:80862805,80860101,00100000"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	ports:
		analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes)
			properties:

active port: <analog-output-lineout>
When listening on my speakers I get

1 sink(s) available.
  * index: 70
	name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.iec958-stereo>
	driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
	flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: RUNNING
	suspend cause: 
	priority: 9038
	volume: front-left: 19653 /  30% / -31,38 dB,   front-right: 19653 /  30% / -31,38 dB
	        balance 0,00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0,00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 70,60 ms
	max request: 15 KiB
	max rewind: 64 KiB
	monitor source: 71
	sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
	channel map: front-left,front-right
	             Stereo
	used by: 1
	linked by: 1
	configured latency: 90,00 ms; range is 0,50 .. 371,52 ms
	card: 0 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0>
	module: 7
	properties:
		alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
		device.api = "alsa"
		device.class = "sound"
		alsa.class = "generic"
		alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
		alsa.name = "ALC892 Digital"
		alsa.id = "ALC892 Digital"
		alsa.subdevice = "0"
		alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
		alsa.device = "1"
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH"
		alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7f00000 irq 34"
		alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
		device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
		sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
		device.bus = "pci"
		device.vendor.id = "8086"
		device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
		device.product.id = "1c20"
		device.product.name = "6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (P8H67 Series Motherboard)"
		device.form_factor = "internal"
		device.string = "iec958:0"
		device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
		device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
		device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
		device.profile.name = "iec958-stereo"
		device.profile.description = "Digital Stereo (IEC958)"
		device.description = "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)"
		alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC892"
		alsa.components = "HDA:10ec0892,1043841b,00100302 HDA:80862805,80860101,00100000"
		module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
	ports:
		iec958-stereo-output: Digital Output (S/PDIF) (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
			properties:

active port: <iec958-stereo-output>
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Ahh, a little different than what I was thinking. I believe this will be the best solution:

In the terminal enter xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa and when the file opens scroll to the bottom and add this new line:

set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 analog-surround-40
Save and close the file, ignore the warning from the terminal, then run pulseaudio -k to kill and restart the sound server.

Sound should be set for the headphones. Test switching back and forth a few times and see if things are working as you expect/hope.

If this doesn't work, I have a terminal command for each switch that you could tie to keyboard shortcuts instead if that sounds decent.

Good luck.
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

MrEen wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:48 pm Ahh, a little different than what I was thinking. I believe this will be the best solution:

In the terminal enter xed admin:///etc/pulse/default.pa and when the file opens scroll to the bottom and add this new line:

set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 analog-surround-40
Save and close the file, ignore the warning from the terminal, then run pulseaudio -k to kill and restart the sound server.

Sound should be set for the headphones. Test switching back and forth a few times and see if things are working as you expect/hope.

If this doesn't work, I have a terminal command for each switch that you could tie to keyboard shortcuts instead if that sounds decent.

Good luck.
After I did pulseaudio -k I the taskbar sound applet was gone. Then I logged out and back in: still gone. Then I restarted PC -> still gone. Then I removed and readded the applet to the taskbar: still gone.

Then I opened the sound settings from the start menu. I saw that only the speakers, which are connected via SPDIF, were detected. The other output device of my headphone didn't even show. So I couldn't check if it worked.

Then I removed the line added previously, restarted PC and now the device and the applet is back.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

WOW. I've never seen that before. Usually pulseaudio -k kills the run daemon which with default settings automatically restarts. If/when it doesn't restart, try pulseaudio --start

See what happens if you use these commands right now:

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 analog-surround-40
Sound should be coming from headphones. Then:

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 iec958-stereo
That should make sound switch to the speakers
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

We may have an issue with sinks as well. Don't think that had anything to do with what happened, but we're changing card profiles and I was hoping the sinks would change on their own. They may not.
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

MrEen wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:48 pm WOW. I've never seen that before. Usually pulseaudio -k kills the run daemon which with default settings automatically restarts. If/when it doesn't restart, try pulseaudio --start

See what happens if you use these commands right now:

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 analog-surround-40
Sound should be coming from headphones. Then:

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 iec958-stereo
That should make sound switch to the speakers
The parameters of the commands you listed were a little screwed up, but (yayyy to me!) I was able to help myself (at least for this part..) using the information provided here.

So, these two buddies now make the sound come from headphones/speakers.

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:analog-surround-40+input:analog-stereo

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:iec958-stereo+input:analog-stereo
I now binded these two commands to two keys using the cinnamon keyboard/shortcut manager! And now my initial problem (to bind these two outputs to some keys) has been solved! I'm really happy and 100% satisfied!! :D

The only thing is: The problem here has not really been solved. When I restart windows and I want to use my headphones then still the faulty profile is loaded and I have to press my binded button-combination first. This is not really problematic but it still would be nicer to eliminate the root of this evil misbehavior.

However: I really want to thank both of you guys for your effort so far!! And if we could solve the rest of the problem that would be even better.

EDIT: Ok, I just added the headphone line to /etc/pulse/default.pa and now this problem is solved! :D Thanks so much!!
Last edited by qisforc on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Indeed I messed up!! :oops:

And that explains the bad behavior earlier. Instructions should have been this for /etc/pulse/default.pa

set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:analog-surround-40+input:analog-stereo
qisforc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qisforc »

MrEen wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:06 pm Indeed I messed up!! :oops:

And that explains the bad behavior earlier. Instructions should have been this for /etc/pulse/default.pa

set-card-profile alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:analog-surround-40+input:analog-stereo
In case you didn't see my edit: Problem solved now, thank you so much!!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Fantastic!! Glad I could help. :D

And nice work finding the correct edit on your own!
Monkberry
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Sound "output profiles" keep switching to non-working ones

Post by Monkberry »

Simple sound fix!!
I found this post and thought I would add a success story to it. My sound issues were particularly annoying because they didn't always happen. However, I believe they were triggered when playing videos on youtube.com. The problem would even survive reboots and shutdowns and whatever had a hold of the sound just refused to let go. However, I also noticed thanks to some posts on here and elsewhere, that a simple "pulseaudio -k" restored the sound card and then the sound worked! I saw all sorts of things about profiles on here switching to non working ones, which is what I searched for to get here. However, the profile was switching because the sound card appeared to have gone away!

My parameters
Linux Mint Mate 20
Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
module in use snd_hda_intel

I'm not sure if this was part of the cure but I also blacklisted the snd_hda_codec_realtek module, as I was not using it and it was loading anyway.

So, I made a little script that I have the user startup when he logs in.

cat /usr/bin/sound_refresh
#!/bin/bash
sleep 3
pulseaudio -k

And now the sound works perfectly, everytime.
DONE.
Blixen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Sound "output profiles" keep switching to non-working ones

Post by Blixen »

I got the problem after recently applying update manager for Mint 20.3 Una/Mate.
After some experimenting I made an entry in ControlCenter-startup applications:

+Add (Add startup program)
Name: "Correct audio profile"
Command: "pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0 output:iec958-stereo+input:analog-stereo" (My preferred profile.)
+Add

Thats it- using the GUI.
Thankyou for your previous inputs and guiding. /Blixen

Return to “Sound”