Mint v19.3 audio popping

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heavilyredacted
Level 1
Level 1

Mint v19.3 audio popping

Post by heavilyredacted »

I installed mint v19.3 Tricia yesterday. It's working fine except that a sometimes startlingly loud popping noise is produced whenever an audio/video file begins. Is there a way to resolve this without downgrading to v19.2?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint v19.3 audio popping

Post by Flemur »

heavilyredacted wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:39 pm I installed mint v19.3 Tricia yesterday. It's working fine except that a sometimes startlingly loud popping noise is produced whenever an audio/video file begins. Is there a way to resolve this without downgrading to v19.2?
FWIW, I get the same thing with 19.3, not otherwise.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Yep, noticed it too when I installed 19.3 last night. Even pops when visiting a site that has audio features even if they aren't currently playing. Hoping things will settle down. 19.2 sound would sometimes pop when doing a system reboot / restart but not otherwise on my desktop.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

There was an update to pulseaudio a few days ago. I wonder if something in the update is causing this.

Sounds as though the amp isn't ramping up to full volume gradually and is jumping from off to fully on.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Think it's a power issue. Seems power to audio is disabled after 10 seconds if not being actively used ... or something like that ... and apparently the pop is when sound is re-enabled for a site or audio file.

I guess it depends on hardware, but the solution at this link fixed my popping problem and there is also a link in the solution to a youtube video for further explanation and is worth a watch ... https://superuser.com/questions/1493096 ... ew-seconds

I THINK basically the fix keeps the sound from "going to sleep". This fix may not be ideal for a laptop on battery power.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

JoeBingo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:56 pm Think it's a power issue. Seems power to audio is disabled after 10 seconds if not being actively used ... or something like that ... and apparently the pop is when sound is re-enabled for a site or audio file.

I guess it depends on hardware, but the solution at this link fixed my popping problem and there is also a link in the solution to a youtube video for further explanation and is worth a watch ... https://superuser.com/questions/1493096 ... ew-seconds

I THINK basically the fix keeps the sound from "going to sleep". This fix may not be ideal for a laptop on battery power.
Yeah, some hardware has always needed the power_save/power_save_controller settings change. But this sounds like a change has been made that needs to be fixed.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MrEen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:07 pm But this sounds like a change has been made that needs to be fixed.
Maybe the 4.15 kernel had Intel HDA power saving disabled? Frankly I don't recall, it's been making that sound for years when entering power save mode. Which brings substantial battery savings btw.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

gm10 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:20 pm
MrEen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:07 pm But this sounds like a change has been made that needs to be fixed.
Defaulting to power saving on isn't exactly what I would call something needing to be fixed. My laptop gains substantial amounts of battery life with the audio subsystem in power saving mode, many people work on those things rather than listen to music/videos. :)
What I meant was something has changed were people that didn't need to disable power saving previously are now getting the nasty pops. I haven't had a 19.3 system up for a few days, but has there been an update to ALSA? I can't really see a pulseaudio change causing this.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MrEen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:26 pm What I meant was something has changed were people that didn't need to disable power saving previously are now getting the nasty pops.
Yes, I realized that and had edited that post long before you posted. But those pops have always been around with power saving enabled, they have been happening for years.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Gotcha. Looks like you were correct about 4.15:

Code: Select all

scott@scott-HP ~ $ cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
Y
scott@scott-HP ~ $ cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
My 19.3 install is in a VM and doesn't use snd-hda-intel, so no equivalent parameters there.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

MrEen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:54 pm Gotcha. Looks like you were correct about 4.15:

scott@scott-HP ~ $ cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
Y
scott@scott-HP ~ $ cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
My 19.3 install is in a VM and doesn't use snd-hda-intel, so no equivalent parameters there.
Curious ... wonder why the controller was left in the enabled (Y) state when the power save feature was disabled (0) in the 4.15 kernel?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

You are misunderstanding the flag:

parm:           power_save_controller:Reset controller in power save mode. (bool)
dev0

Post by dev0 »

I have the same issue after upgrade to 19.3.
Any solution found?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

dev0 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:35 am I have the same issue after upgrade to 19.3.
Any solution found?
Your options are to go back to the 4.15 kernel series or to disable power management for Intel's HDA driver:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel power_save=0'
(takes effect on reboot)
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

gm10 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:58 am You are misunderstanding the flag:

parm:           power_save_controller:Reset controller in power save mode. (bool)
Okay, so the controller (Y) is more like a persistence than an enable (feels like I'm not finding the right word), regarding the state of power save, I guess. The link I posted earlier suggested power save (0) and power save controller (N). Just trying to wrap my head around why 4.15 would do it one way and not the other.

EDIT: After the 4.15 reveal, I change the controller back to (Y) while leaving power save (0) ... no popping. Since battery power isn't an issue with my desktop, I'm a happy camper.

EDIT 2: While the audio power save feature may enable "substantial" battery savings, I don't recall any thread complaints concerning battery power duration due to no/disabled audio power save when everyone was using 4.15. Just an observation.
RamBurner
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RamBurner »

This worked on my desktop, thank you

Your only options are to either deal with it or to disable power management for Intel's HDA driver:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel power_save=0'
(takes effect on reboot)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

You're welcome. :)
dev0

Post by dev0 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 am
dev0 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:35 am I have the same issue after upgrade to 19.3.
Any solution found?
Your only options are to either deal with it or to disable power management for Intel's HDA driver:

(takes effect on reboot)
Thanks, popping sound is gone
Tater
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tater »

Thank you so very much!

I upgraded from 19.2 a few days ago and the "pop-pop" when I started an audio file or video was really annoying me. It has always there in the boot sequence, but that is only when booting when it is supposed to be doing things. When you are actually using the computer it is just "wrong". :lol:
gm10 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 am
Any solution found?

(takes effect on reboot)
Current victims:
Mint 21 Cinnamon on an MSI B450-a Pro Max AMD Ryzen 5 / 3.6 Ghz 6 Core (12 Thread) w/ 16 GB Ram

Mint 21 XFCE on a Dell Latitude D830 Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz w/ 4 GB Ram

OS Reinstall Counter is set at 8
Flexan

Post by Flexan »

wonder if something in the update is causing this.

Return to “Sound”