Amazon music download (SOLVED)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Amazon music download (SOLVED)

Post by cliffcoggin »

I tried something new a few weeks ago when I bought some music tracks from Amazon. I have only bought music on CD, LP, and audio cassette in the past. (Yes I know that dates me.) I can play them from the Firefox browser but when I try to download them onto my computer Amazon tells me I need their application for PC or Mac. Is there any way round this, or have I wasted my money? I found nothing in Software Manager that looked suitable, nor do I see any reference in a forum search.
Last edited by cliffcoggin on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Amazon music download

Post by MrEen »

Hi cliffcoggin.

I've not tried this, but the music app Banshee supposedly has Amazon Music compatibility built in. You could install and run that and see if it works for you.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well, From my searches, it appears that downloads will come as a zip file, that you'll have to extract yourself, but it's hard to tell exactly where they're downloading from.

Good luck.

EDIT: Give this Youtube video a look as well.

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 pm
when I try to download them onto my computer Amazon tells me I need their application for PC or Mac. Is there any way round this, or have I wasted my money? I found nothing in Software Manager that looked suitable, nor do I see any reference in a forum search.
Make sure you are downloading mp3 tracks.

See, for example, here: https://smile.amazon.com/Frozen-Origina ... sic&sr=1-1

If you mouse over the cart option it says "add to mp3 cart"
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" 64-bit

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Thanks. I'll investigate Banshee tomorrow.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

nakednorman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nakednorman »

@cliffcoggin
I've just been to Amazon (UK) and bought a music track. It asked if I wanted a link to their app and I gave them my email address (which I had already used to sign in). It then asked if I wanted to play the track or download it - I downloaded it - standard .mp3
(The link to download the Amazon Music app looks as if it's an app for phones only - I haven't used it.)
But the downloaded track is now playing in Celluloid - bog standard 19.3 cinnamon (good track).
That's 99p you owe me :D

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

I solved the problem from a different part of the labyrinthine Amazon site. The "My Music" section displays the tracks and offers them as individual downloads but does not actually do so, whereas the "My Orders" section offers a single download of them all and did in fact work.

I'll stick to buying records in future. It's easier and quicker than wasting hours at a computer.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

essjam
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Amazon music download (SOLVED)

Post by essjam »

@cliffcoggin
Thanks, this one piece of info from your post saved me some time.
"whereas the "My Orders" section offers a single download of them all and did in fact work."

I am in my second week of an all Linux system and Amazon didn't behave the same way as on Windows 7. Surprise. Your method was much more efficient than trying to decipher the Amazon email link. The Amazon path was: Your Orders --> Digital Orders
Cheers.
Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" - Cinnamon 64bit
(1) Asus K52F Laptop - i5 @ 2.53GHz, 8 GB DDR3 Ram
(2) ASUSTeK: Z97-A-USB31 - i7-4790 @ 4.00GHz, 32 GB DDR3 Ram
Raspberry Pi - Raspian Buster Lite - OpenMediaVault - 4TB NAS server

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”