No sound on fresh 19.3 install cinnamon

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: No sound on fresh 19.3 install cinnamon

Post by MrEen »

Had the microwave oven die on us. Spent the last couple hours trying to find a replacement online. Ended up buying the same model we have that should be available for pickup within a week.

I'm thinking your mention of an amp is probably on the right track. I'm afraid that knowing what to do about it is a very difficult thing to fully grasp. It will probably involve using hda-verb to set something straight. Something like in this post. But knowing which verbs to issue, and to which pin can be next to impossible for us to know.

As a test, let's see if this simple one has any effect for you:

Code: Select all

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x17 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0xc0
You'll need to install alsa-tools (different from alsa-tools-gui that you already installed) to have hda-verb available.

Oh damn, we might be on the right track here as look at this for your speaker pin:

Node 0x17 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40058d: Stereo Amp-Out
  Control: name="Speaker Playback Switch", index=0, device=0
    ControlAmp: chs=3, dir=Out, idx=0, ofs=0
  Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
  Amp-Out vals:  [0x00 0x00]
  Pincap 0x0001001c: OUT HP EAPD Detect
  EAPD 0x2: EAPD
  Pin Default 0x90170110: [Fixed] Speaker at Int N/A
    Conn = Analog, Color = Unknown
    DefAssociation = 0x1, Sequence = 0x0
    Misc = NO_PRESENCE
  Pin-ctls: 0x40: OUT
  Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
  Power states:  D0 D1 D2 D3 EPSS
  Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
  Connection: 3
     0x02 0x03* 0x06
That enabled=0 is most likely our issue. I'm not positive the command I've given will enable it, but it might.

I got that from this thread that was my first exposure to hda-verb. It's possible we need to set other parameters that I'll try to find some info on.

EDIT: This is our best hope right now for hda-verb. All my searching hasn't turned up anything that I strongly suspect might help. I do actually have some hope the above might actually work.
Last edited by MrEen on Sun May 03, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Found a bug report that has your codec although a different machine here that has not been answered but it's only been a year and a half!!! :roll:

I'm still looking to try to get the right approach for hda-verb.

EDIT: Found a very similar, yet unsolved case here: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/i-have-no-s ... s/105756/7
Last edited by MrEen on Sun May 03, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Here's something similar but different to something we've already tried:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-fix.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel model=auto'
If that doesn't work, try this one:

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-fix.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel model=generic'
Reboot after each change before testing the sound.

And a wacky thought just occured. In your OP you stated Auto-Mute Mode was turned off, but it was back on when you ran the curl commands. Go back into alsamixer and turn it off again, and find something that can be plugged into the combo jack if possible. Maybe that'll kick the necessary amps on.

EDIT: Just realized another user I'm helping has quite similar hardware: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=318661

There are some differences, but in the important part is that user has 0x14 for speaker pin to your 0x17, but the other pins are identical.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Well shiver me timbers, I just spotted something else in your output in the pin 0x17:

Pincap 0x0001001c: OUT HP EAPD Detect
I'm pretty sure that HP stands for headphones. If the hda-verb doesn't help, run HDAJackRetask again, click on Advanced Override and tell me what the 8 boxes have for 0x17

The other user with similar hardware has this for their speaker pin:

Pincap 0x00010014: OUT EAPD Detect
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

Have not tried the hda-verb yet, wanted to get a fresh reboot and give you the 0x17 pin details from scratch:
Connectivity: (nothing, as in blank)
Device: Speaker
Jack: Other Analog
Color: Unknown
Jack detection: Not present
Channel Group: 1
Channel (in group): Front
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

The headphone jack was just a little tight; now when I plug in some earbuds it shows "Headphones (plugged in)" in the pavucontrol with the "noise bar" moving but no sound either in ears or from speakers.
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

Actually not sure what I did but the headphone now shows "unplugged" .
Anyway, applied the hda-verb line and got return values:

nid = 0x17, verb = 0x707, param = 0xc0
value = 0x0
Sorry to hear about the microwave; guess it got covid? May it rest in peace...
I applied the new verb stuff and rebooted, what else was I supposed to do you think? I did that but no change. Seems like I need something else...
Thanks MrEen!
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

BTW, after reboot, the headphones show "plugged in" when they are, in pavucontrol.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Well crud! I thought there'd be something unusual in the 8 boxes such as saying Headphones instead of Speaker, but there isn't. You could attempt changing the Channel (in group) to something else, but I'm thinking that's not going to work (my headphones say Channel 30 & 31 for example.)

Just in case we can get the headphones working try sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x21 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0xc0. Test right after applying that. A reboot will clear it out.

If that doesn't help, give the alsa-fix.conf changes a try.

I'm trying to find another program we might use to try to fix this, but I can't remember where I got it. Need to find the thread where I used it before.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Okay, when you have some time, follow a previous thread from this point on as we tested hda_analyzer.py

I still don't have a very good understanding of the software, but the other user started to grasp it somewhat. You'll need to download all the files here. What I did was for each, I clicked on raw, then copied the source, and pasted it into a text editor then saved it as the proper filename. I put these all in a folder in my home dir (pyalsa was the name I used) then I believe I ran python hda_analyzer.py in the terminal (might have been python2 instead of python) probably after cd'ing to the proper folder.

I've seen people report on the web that they successfully used this tool to get their sound working many times. Because my sound works, I can't really fiddle with it as all I can do is break stuff.

One other thing. That ubuntu thread you linked to earlier, has the last post with this content:
I purchased a late 2017 Spectre X360, model 13-ae013dx. I was able to solve this bug consistently using HDAJackRetask under Antergos by performing the following:

Override pin 0x14 and set it to Internal Speaker (LFE). I believe this enables the amplifier that drives the top speakers. Setting it to something other than just "Internal Speaker" is important, so that pulseaudio does not try to redirect sound to that channel.

Override pin 0x1e and set them to "Internal Speaker".

Hit Apply Now, and voila you have sound out of all four speakers.
I think that is worth trying. And this includes leaving 0x17 as is. Your changing 14 to LFE and 0x1e to a second Internal Speaker. This may be the magic you need.
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

Did the alsa-fix, then rebooted. No change.
Reapplied the hda-verb ; no improvement. Headphones still don't play either.
OK; thanks I will check out that thread later this PM.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

If and when you're up for it, set these with HDAJackRetask and test the sound:

0x14: 
Jack | Front | Speaker | Other Analog
Unknown | Not Present | 5 | Front

0x17:
No override

Jack | Internal | Speaker | Other Analog
Unknown | Not Present | 1 | Front

0x1e:
Jack | Rear | Speaker | Other Analog
Green |  Not Present | 5 | Front
That's much the same as I mentioned from the Ubuntu link, with some slight variation and possible other changes from checking the box for Advanced override

That came out of this tiny thread that believe it or not, I've actually read through several times!
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

Well, that's something different (but not operational). Maybe a hint; IDK.

When I first tried these settings, I had the phones in , and I looked at the pavucontrol . No sounds from them. However, when I unplugged them, they still said "Plugged in" and the speakers were unavailable.
So left the phones unplugged, hit "Apply now" again for grins, and then it just says "Speakers" and doesn't detect the phones being plugged in or out anymore.
No sound anywhere.

That is a TINY link; OMG. Spanning over 3 years now...
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Damn! I had hoped it might work with all the similarities involved. I've even given the same to another user today that is actually using the X360 like in that thread.

In various parts of the thread, there are posts by Takashi Iwai. He's one of the main developers for all things audio on Linux. I believe he even wrote hda-verb.

I'm really suspecting you need something like what's in this post by him, but knowing what pin (NID) we want in your case is still a mystery to me. Hexidecimal is something I never got my head around, so most of those things are jibberish to me. The original poster's alsa-info showed 0x20 as this so I doubt it applied in the section where they're making changes to it:

[code]Node 0x20 [Vendor Defined Widget] wcaps 0xf00040: Mono
  Processing caps: benign=0, ncoeff=104
[/code]

If you can't figure anything out with hda_analyzer.py, it might be best to create a bug report there using the instructions here: https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Bug_Tracking

EDIT: Forgot to mention; If you decide to file a bug report, they will want to see the alsa-info output as an attachment. This should generate it for you: bash alsa-info.sh --no-upload
Last edited by MrEen on Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

I should also mention, sometimes reinstalling the OS clears issues like this. Maybe there was a glitch during the first install. I'm never overly hopeful with this, but it has worked for some.
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

OK; thanks you MrEen; really appreciate your effort!
If I figure anything out I'll post back.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Yes, please do.

I even tried searching your Envy model, but there's extremely limited stuff out there. It's possible it's a little too new maybe? But really the sound is still based on older stuff.
lcb123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lcb123 »

Well, I upgraded to mint 20 Ulyana, still no sound from internal speakers.
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatso »

Sorry to interrupt, but I have to ask: Mr. Een, exactly how is it that you manage to keep your sanity??? I would have lost all my marbles LOOOONG ago.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

fatso wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:56 pm
Sorry to interrupt, but I have to ask: Mr. Een, exactly how is it that you manage to keep your sanity??? I would have lost all my marbles LOOOONG ago.
Who said I did?!? :mrgreen:

Helping with sound issues was just something I started trying and after a while I started getting decent at it. I'm now at about two and half years of doing this, and so many issues are uniqueish, that I've learned quite a bit just trying to find something that helps.

The downside is all the early stuff I learned (what I call the easy fixes) are constantly left aside as I'm always assuming the hardest fix will be necessary. The link in my signature covers most of the easy stuff. Those things used to be very common, but not so much anymore (maybe because some people are actually trying those before posting here?)

I wanted to add many other things I learned, but it would end up being both too verbose, as well as too intimidating for newcomers with the risk of easy errors made in attempting things.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”