No startup Sound in LM20 MATE

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

No startup Sound in LM20 MATE

Post by muffybean »

Clean installed LM20 MATE on an SSD drive but cannot get any startup sound. I have checked sound preferences and selected LinuxMint Sound Theme and all the other settings seem fine. I get sound ok and play the linuxmint-login.wav in

Code: Select all

/usr/share/sounds
directory when I click on any of the three sound files in there. Is there a glitch in LM20 on this one?
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop

igmint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No startup Sound in LM20 MATE

Post by igmint »

translated by googlemachine

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

What seems to be referring to there is that sound is not working at all. In my case the sound works fine but when LM20 starts up I do not get the startup sound happening. Not a big thing but the fact is on 19.3 that I have installed on the same machine but on a different SSD that startup sound works fine. I did a clean install of LM20 on a different SSD (sdb) with the grub on on that drive. I have set the sdb drive as the default boot drive while I am sorting it out; I can boot into 19.3 on sda as an alternative from the grub.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Install and run PulseAudio Volume Control. Make sure System Sounds has volume on the Playback tab, and is not muted.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 pm
Install and run PulseAudio Volume Control. Make sure System Sounds has volume on the Playback tab, and is not muted.
Did this ok but still no startup sound. I get sound when I select sound preferences/hardware and click on the audio output and test speakers. Here is what I have in Volume Control Output Devices.
Screenshot at 2020-07-05 16-43-34.png

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

And let's see the Playback tab please. Also, sometimes just making a change to the volume level level on the Playback tab kicks this into gear.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Here is the playback tab.
Screenshot at 2020-07-05 19-34-01.png
I altered the sound level to no avail. Another thing, under Output Devices, if I move the volume level up or down it makes beeping noises. However, under Playback tab no noise is emitted when you move the level bar?

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

I'm not a MATE user, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. The volume changes on the Output Devices tab causing a sound to be generated makes it sound like your System Sounds are working. I'll try to find some info about MATE to see if we can get this solved.

Do make sure libcanberra-pulse is installed, but I suspect it already is.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Do make sure libcanberra-pulse is installed, but I suspect it already is.
Checked this out but it does not seem to be on my system.
ksnip_05072020.png

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Okay, run apt install libcanberra-pulse then reboot and see if the startup sound works.

EDIT: I still suspect you already have it. It's a package, not a file.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:17 pm
Okay, run apt install libcanberra-pulse then reboot and see if the startup sound works.

EDIT: I still suspect you already have it. It's a package, not a file.
Did that and got this.
ksnip_05072020(2).png

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Yeah, it was already installed. See this image and try changing the Theme to something else in your Sound Preferences.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 pm
Yeah, it was already installed. See this image and try changing the Theme to something else in your Sound Preferences.
Tried that but no startup sound. Actually I am watching a football match live and the sound is fine.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Ahh, it looks like you need to create a startup application for this in MATE. Maybe you did something similar in 19.3?

This site has instructions that should work for you.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 pm
Ahh, it looks like you need to create a startup application for this in MATE. Maybe you did something similar in 19.3?

This site has instructions that should work for you.
First of all I do not recall doing anything in 19.3 for startup sound. However, went to that link and the first item Certificate and Key Storage is already there. To add the following two I need to know the command for ClearWeatherScreenlet and Conky

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Just click on the plus button as in that image to add the new startup thingamajig. Don't worry about what is in that window compared to yours.

Or run your 19.3 and look to see if you have anything indicating a startup sound in the same window.

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:18 pm
Just click on the plus button as in that image to add the new startup thingamajig. Don't worry about what is in that window compared to yours.

Or run your 19.3 and look to see if you have anything indicating a startup sound in the same window.
I checked 19.3 and yes it does have a command to play Linuxmint-startup.wav but inserting it in LM20 has no effect.
ksnip_05072020(4).png
Getting back to adding those startup programs, the first one Certificate and Key Storage is already there
ksnip_05072020(3).png
but when I try to add the other two I have not got a clue what command to point it to.
ksnip_05072020(5).png
ksnip_05072020(5).png (34.03 KiB) Viewed 197 times

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Those other things (ClearWeatherScreenlet and such) are a separate issue. Change the command for your sound startup thing adding the word play to the front of the command followed by a space:

play /usr/share/sound/linux....

muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:51 pm
Those other things (ClearWeatherScreenlet and such) are a separate issue. Change the command for your sound startup thing adding the word play to the front of the command followed by a space:

play /usr/share/sound/linux....
Did that to no avail. BTW, in 19.3 the command is preceded by paplay? Weird

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

muffybean wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:10 pm
Did that to no avail. BTW, in 19.3 the command is preceded by paplay? Weird
That's just a different command to accomplish the same thing, and you could try it here. But I saw in the other thread that play works for you on 20 since you installed sox, so it should work in this case, assuming you're pointing to a valid file.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”