Need help adjusting audio sample rates within linux mint 20

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nicholasrwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Need help adjusting audio sample rates within linux mint 20

Post by nicholasrwilliams »

Greetings! I am running the latest linux mint 20 version and I own a first gen Focus rite Scarlett Solo USB audio interface. Im having trouble with everything being pitched down a bit coming from the interface outputs.

Linux mint was able to automatically detect this interface for me, but I have no control over my audio samplerate.

If anyone knows how I can adjust my linux audio sample rate and my USB audio interface to 44.1k I'm hoping the problem should resolve itself :D
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Need help adjusting audio sample rates within linux mint 20

Post by MrEen »

Hi nicholasrwilliams, and welcome to the forum.

I honestly think you want to go the other way. Play something through the device and run pacmd list-sinks and paste that output. I'm suspecting we''ll see 44100 there, and you will want it changed to 48000 or even 96000.

The changes can be made by running xed admin:///etc/pulse/daemon.conf and altering this section:

Code: Select all

; default-sample-format = s16le
; default-sample-rate = 44100
; alternate-sample-rate = 48000
; default-sample-channels = 2
; default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
I suspect you'd want something like this:

default-sample-rate = 48000
alternate-sample-rate = 44100
Notice the beginnings of the lines have changed as well as the numbers.

If we really need to change from 48000 to 44100, we probably need to change something in the app you're using to play sound.
nicholasrwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your speedy reply I missed it! I'll be giving this a try right now
nicholasrwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Okay so I was able to follow your instructions and it looks good. I'll have to test it later as I ran into the problem on Discord when my friend went from sounding like a Tenor to a Bass. Playing back sound from my web browser never led to this problem so I can't confirmed it is fixed now, but I am hopeful it will be.

Much thanks!!
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome. I suspect that is going to fix the issue for you, from your Tenor-Bass statement. :D
nicholasrwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

MrEen wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 pm
You're welcome. I suspect that is going to fix the issue for you, from your Tenor-Bass statement. :D
Hey! If you're still around to give a bit of input I'm having some audio issues again. I made the changes you suggested and everything was running fine for about a month. I've now been trying to install new DAW's on my pc to see what works best. I have installed Ableton 9 using Wine to run it, and the native version of Reaper for Linux. Somewhere along this process my audio being pitched down has come back.

I tried adding 48k as both the default and alternate samplerate, and that seemed to fix it but the issue still comes back.

The other thing of note that may be causing the problem is the audio drivers each of the DAW's use. Ableton has Pulseaudio DX and Wav, and Reaper has ASLA, JACK, Dummy Audio and Pulseaudio. I have the samplerates set to 48k in both softwares, but still I can't get everything to line up and work properly. Are these programs causing conflicts with each other? Is there any sort of audio program for Linux that can allow me to force all my audio applications to use the Pulseaduio 48k?

Thanks your feedback!
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

I'm not a user of any of those software titles, so I can't really speak to them. And especially anything with Wine, that throws my helpfulness out the window.

There have been PulseAudio updates very recently, so they may overwrite your changes. Do watch for that. Also, you might even want something like these instead:

default-sample-rate = 48000
alternate-sample-rate = 96000
Or have both at 48000.

One unrelated adjustment you might want to make is here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=306733&p=1752180&h ... y#p1752180

Having a higher audio priority might make some niggling issues disappear.

Hope that helps some!
nicholasrwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Much thanks again, I'll be reading into that post you gave me!
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome. :D

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”