Banshee is the best

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Banshee is the best

Post by zaileion »

Banshee is a media player (audio and video). It does podcasts, has a million add-ons, has a tag editor, music and video organizer, network capabilities and sooo much more. It is literally the single best media application ever to exist. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

The problem is it seems that it's no longer maintained and I am asking if anyone out there can pick up the pieces and keep this blow away media system for Linux up and running.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Banshee is the best

Post by Hoser Rob »

I suspect it was unmaintainable, the reason most FOSS projects go like this. A support foruim on a distro intended for beginners is probably not the best place to try to get devs for the project.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:51 am I suspect it was unmaintainable, the reason most FOSS projects go like this. A support foruim on a distro intended for beginners is probably not the best place to try to get devs for the project.
I was hoping maybe the Mint devs would pick up the code and integrate it into the Mint OS making an already out of this world OS even better.

But... Does anyone have a suggestion as to what website(s) i could go to try to find seek a willing individual.

I would be willing to donate $100 for its update, of course I realize that's just a drop in a huge bucket but it's at least a start.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Bottom line
Sadly, Banshee is not integrated into many Linux distributions, mainly because of its Mono dependencies, which tend to create lots of problems nowadays. But if that is not an issue for you, go ahead and install the Banshee Media Player from your Linux distribution’s default software repositories.
https://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multime ... 7118.shtml

Because of the Mono addiction, I never used Banshee.
Based on the recommendations in the Book of Pjotr, Mono is one of the first things to be deleted ...

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

zaileion wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:15 pm Banshee is a media player (audio and video). It does podcasts, has a million add-ons, has a tag editor, music and video organizer, network capabilities and sooo much more. It is literally the single best media application ever to exist. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

The problem is it seems that it's no longer maintained and I am asking if anyone out there can pick up the pieces and keep this blow away media system for Linux up and running.
I too loved Banshee. Great program!
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:37 pm
Bottom line
Sadly, Banshee is not integrated into many Linux distributions, mainly because of its Mono dependencies, which tend to create lots of problems nowadays. But if that is not an issue for you, go ahead and install the Banshee Media Player from your Linux distribution’s default software repositories.
https://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multime ... 7118.shtml

Because of the Mono addiction, I never used Banshee.
Based on the recommendations in the Book of Pjotr, Mono is one of the first things to be deleted ...

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

It doesnt run, and cannot be installed in Mint 20. I have tried to install .deb packages, i have tried to compile from source and the existing Banshee on my system installed previous to the Mint 20 upgrade doesn't run... So i may have to revert back to mint 19 even-though Mint 20 is just fantastic.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I thinki you need to just find another player and hope like hell that banshee gets forked (though that's unlikely) rather than go through the bother of reverting your entire OS.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
zaileion
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zaileion »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:02 am I thinki you need to just find another player and hope like hell that banshee gets forked (though that's unlikely) rather than go through the bother of reverting your entire OS.
There is no other player comparable. This is the issue... The only thing tht comes close is Plex, and then i would need several other applications to cover the additional capabilities that Banshee does. Unfortunately, for me, it seems the only option is to revert to my 19.3 timeshift backup and wait for Banshee to update.

I was also thinking of reverting mono to an older version. Does anyone know if this will work or if it will break anything else in the OS?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

zaileion wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:11 pmUnfortunately, for me, it seems the only option is to revert to my 19.3 timeshift backup and wait for Banshee to update.
You might be waiting until the end of time then. It's been several years since anything has been done with Banshee from what I can tell.

However, I did make some suggestions in your other Banshee thread: viewtopic.php?p=1888890#p1888890
melodram

Post by melodram »

I found it here, but not working:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/banshee

It was the best player with so many options and so clear.
melodram

Post by melodram »

I discovered a great alternative years ago:

Quod Libet
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

As George Harrison once said,
All Things Must Pass
Its old, obsolete, unmaintained, abandoned by its creator, What more can be said.

NO software exists forever, time to move on...DAMIEN
melodram

Post by melodram »

Damien from Omen?

True, nothing is safe or forever... You can't count on anything.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

melodram wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:17 pm Damien from Omen?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Damien from Omen?
Fun movie, wasnt it...Or should it be, The Omen from DAMIEN???...lol...DAMIEN
melodram

Post by melodram »

Yes, love it! I always wonder why Exorcist was much more succesful.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

zaileion wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:11 pm ... There is no other player comparable. This is the issue...
The issue is that that's YOUR opinion. If it was more popular it'd probably still be maintained.
qett
Level 2
Level 2

Post by qett »

I am also a big fan of Banshee, and it does look like Quod Libet solves my problem, thanks for the solution @melodram!!
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I used quodlibet some time ago, but I don't recall it playing video (as banshee is said to do in the Original Post).

I eventually settled on to Clementine, which does play mp4 and other video formats (but only plays them as as audio), and does hook up to various streaming and podcast services.

I don't think anything quite comes up to the flexibility and 'niceness' of banshee though..
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I just rediscovered Qmmp
Very Interesting !
It plays more or less ALL Audio including Midi (which many Linux player do not) and Lossless stuff like .flac as well as most VIDEO formats (opens either an ffmpeg or mplayer window depending on the codec).

It can also be skinned, with Transparency, which is great for me because I use Mint XFCE

Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Sound”