jack and pulse audio -- maybe Ubuntu Studio is easier to setup?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
krauster
Level 3
Level 3

jack and pulse audio -- maybe Ubuntu Studio is easier to setup?

Post by krauster »

MInt 19.3 Cinammon

I want to set up Audacity to capture youtube streaming audio to use it to practice music. I've read and watched tutorials that explain that in order to make the settings in Audacity you have to have qjackctl and pulseaudio and I've downloaded those but I am not figuring out how to make those settings. I've watched lots of tutorials to get me started but i find something missing (maybe they are showing older versions or something) when I try to figure out pulldowns and choices. For example one of the tutorials shows a qjackctl setting that is supposed to be a default and when i open it I don't see it at all.

I've read that Ubuntu Studio is a distro set up for media and I know that means that it does come with Audacity and some other audio and video and graphics apps already installed. That doesn't seem like a huge advantage considering that downloading and installing new software is pretty easy and quick to do. Is there an additional advantage of Ubuntu Studio that maybe it also comes configured in ways that make the setup for doing things like audio streaming capture easier, with no configuration required? If so I might try it on one of my laptops.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: jack and pulse audio -- maybe Ubuntu Studio is easier to setup?

Post by Hoser Rob »

krauster wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 am
... I've read that Ubuntu Studio is a distro set up for media and I know that means that it does come with Audacity and some other audio and video and graphics apps already installed. That doesn't seem like a huge advantage considering that downloading and installing new software is pretty easy and quick to do. ...
I agree, I've never seen the point of it myself.
... Is there an additional advantage of Ubuntu Studio that maybe it also comes configured in ways that make the setup for doing things like audio streaming capture easier, with no configuration required? ....
I very much doubt it, if so any tools used would be also availabloe to any other Ubuntu or Mint user and I suspect we'd all know about it by now.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Generally speaking, when I first read about Ubuntu Studio all I saw was a collection of apps, with no mention of any special setups preconfigured.

AVLinux does some of the preconfiguration, but I've not really played with it yet, so can't comment if it would be any easier to get working for your use case.

If you're talking about about downloading some backing tracks, then recording your playing along with those tracks, I'm not certain JACK is even necessary, although it might be for the lower latency possibilities.

I've not played with that myself, but I know plenty of users here have, so hopefully one will comment soon.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

It's not merely "installing any software you'd need"...

...it's have a low-latency kernel as default, with JACK pre-configured to make appropriate connections and audio switching.

I started using Ubuntu Studio from the 12.04 release and have since moved on to "rolling my own" by using my distros of choice and adding the KXStudio repositories and switching kernels to low-latency software channels. Getting stared on Linux can be tough enough as it is, but looking down on people who aren't as adept at compiling the software themselves seems almost misanthropic....
krauster
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krauster »

MrEen wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:47 pm
If you're talking about about downloading some backing tracks, then recording your playing along with those tracks, I'm not certain JACK is even necessary, although it might be for the lower latency possibilities.
Actually that is so obvious and it didn't occur to me. I just take the downloaded mp3 (captured yt with video downloader) and open it with audacity, make a loop, slow it down etc. No need to use audacity to capture the file. And I really wasn't yet intending to use audacity to record my playing with a mic or other input either. I just want to play over it - for now.

I do at some point want to get jack and pulseaudio working but for now I don't need to do that. Gives me a chance to give it a little more reading. If I do install another distro to check it out to see if it comes preconfigured, I'll post here about it.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

A cool. Another easy one. :D

For the future, just make sure you have pulseaudio-module-jack installed and it might not be so difficult. That should get JACK and PA to play nicely with each other. I have seen cases where there were still issues though. And I can't remember if that one required a command such as this:

Code: Select all

pacmd load-module pulseaudio-module-jack
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

MartyMint wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:20 pm
It's not merely "installing any software you'd need"...

...it's have a low-latency kernel as default, with JACK pre-configured to make appropriate connections and audio switching.

I started using Ubuntu Studio from the 12.04 release and have since moved on to "rolling my own" by using my distros of choice and adding the KXStudio repositories and switching kernels to low-latency software channels. Getting stared on Linux can be tough enough as it is, but looking down on people who aren't as adept at compiling the software themselves seems almost misanthropic....
I'm not convinced a low latency kernel is needed myself.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am

Running loopers and sequencers with a low-latency kernel is excruciatingly frustrating. Midi can be remorseless with timings.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

MartyMint wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm
Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:24 am

Running loopers and sequencers with a low-latency kernel is excruciatingly frustrating. Midi can be remorseless with timings.
Yeah, it sounds like something that can cause more problems than it solves.

There are a bunch of things re media that people still use that aren't really necessary. This isn't 100% on topic but many people agonize over their hardware rendering video settings in video players. You don't need it for video, you did 20 years ago. In fact the mpv devs recommend turning all that OFF unless really necessary, software rendering is more reliable and works fine for video. I have a laptop with 1 10 year old Intel video card that can play pretty high bit rate 1080p HEVC with no issues at all with hardware encoding turned off. This low latency kernel stuff for audio sounds much the same to me.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:11 am
This isn't 100% on topic but many people agonize over their hardware rendering video settings in video players. You don't need it for video, you did 20 years ago.
Yeah, as we well know, seeing that we also both post on VideoHelp...

8)

I'm not pedantic about the minutiae. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”