[SOLVED] How to activate microphone in Mint 20 Cinnamon for Whatsapp, Word 365, etc.

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Glamtrains
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to activate microphone in Mint 20 Cinnamon for Whatsapp, Word 365, etc.

Post by Glamtrains »

Hello, I installed Mint 20 Cinnamon last night and found today that my Whatsapp can't access the microphone and neither can my Microsoft online apps or GoogleDocs when using Firefox. On the screenshot, you see the mic is active but the apps apparently lack permissions, or so it would seem.

The mic worked in all the Arches that I tried, also in Ubuntu Budgie and even in older Mint 19.3 setups and beautiful in Windows 10 pro.

Needless to say, software is up to date.
Attachments
nosound.png
nosound.png (13.88 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Last edited by Glamtrains on Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to activate microphone in Mint 20 Cinnamon for Whatsapp, Word 365, etc.

Post by MrEen »

Hi Glamtrains,

I think the first thing to check here is your Firefox settings. I don't use it anymore, but a few users have reported the same issue with Firefox, and simply changed browsers to have a functional mic.

Just in case, you could also install PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and ensure the Firefox entry on the Recording tab isn't muted. This entry won't exist until you're trying to get input. I doubt this is the case, but it's worth checking.
Glamtrains
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Glamtrains »

Thanks, just installed Chrome again, the one I prefer usually, as dear old FF is too hard on RAM anyhow. Two days ago, it single-handedly managed to eat ALL of my 8GB RAM. Chrome never did that but FF nannies me to the point where I really learn to distrust the anti-Chrome voices on social media. It's just past 2AM so I'll test later but thanks.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

All right Glamtrains. Good luck! :D
Glamtrains
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: How to activate microphone in Mint 20 Cinnamon for Whatsapp, Word 365, etc.

Post by Glamtrains »

I installed a different Whatsapp app, not the tiny one and neither the Flatpak one. It really works a charm, as does Chrome browser. No more FF eating over 6GB RAM. My Mint is boringly themed but ever so pleasant to use. It just says "WhatsApp Desktop"
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] How to activate microphone in Mint 20 Cinnamon for Whatsapp, Word 365, etc.

Post by MrEen »

I'm glad this worked out for you. :D

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”