USB Soundcard - Left Channel Louder than Right

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gertman34
Level 1
Level 1

USB Soundcard - Left Channel Louder than Right

Post by gertman34 »

Hello, I am running mint 18.3, and have an Audient ID4 soundcard, USB 2.0 cable connected to my computer. The audio plays just fine, however, the audio is louder in the left channel than in the right channel for both headphone output and stereo outputs. Is there a fix for this? I played with the pulse config, disabled remixing, and then played with the Alsa mixer. I cannot select the soundcard through Asla due to a "broken pipe" error. I tried to set the soundcard as my default device by following some instructions online, but it did not seem to work. Right now, the card is viewed as a 4 channel anoalg surround sound even though I am only using 2 outputs L/R, and then the headphone out. I suspect that is what is causing the issue.

I also tried running the windows driver for the audient id4 through wine, but that did not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: USB Soundcard - Left Channel Louder than Right

Post by MrEen »

Hi gertman34, and welcome to the forum.

Let's get a look at your sound setup with this command:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to the info.
gertman34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gertman34 »

Thanks for the quick reply MrEen! Here is what I have...

https://termbin.com/x4s0
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Okay, this is a new issue for me. I suspect the "Broken pipe" might have something to do with this, or this might as well:

[    9.229456] usb 1-4: 11:0: cannot get min/max values for control 11 (id 11)
And control 11 is this:

Unit: 11
    Control: name="Input Gain Control", index=0
    Info: id=11, control=11, cmask=0x3ff, channels=10, type="S16"
    Volume: min=0, max=1, dBmin=0, dBmax=0
They might even go hand in hand.

I can only think of two suggestions at the moment.

1. Try another USB port and see if there's any difference.

2. This one is a bit of a longshot, as the outputs are showing equal settings, but I would try it anyway:

In the terminal enter gksudo xed /etc/pulse/default.pa and when the file opens find this section:

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
Change it to this:

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect ignore_dB=1
Save and close the file, ignore any warnings in the terminal, then reboot and test the sound.

Good luck.
gertman34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gertman34 »

Hmmm, tried the command but now I am getting this, and no file opens

(gksudo:4238): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

gertman34 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:44 pm
Hmmm, tried the command but now I am getting this, and no file opens

(gksudo:4238): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
I have never see that before! Try it this way instead. Oh wait, you are using KDE I'll bet, I believe the command might be kdesudo instead of gksudo.

I'll try to confirm that.

EDIT: Confirmed, try this instead:

kdesudo xed /etc/pulse/default.pa
gertman34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gertman34 »

Ended up getting a few errors

skyler@skyler-MS-7A67 ~ $ kdesudo xed /etc/pulse/default.pa
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/skyler/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kbuildsycoca4 running...
skyler@skyler-MS-7A67 ~ $ X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id: 0x1200023
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
gertman34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gertman34 »

I was thinking about following the instructions from Unfa from youtube. He describes his setup procedure using Manjaro. It seems like a program called Audio Jack is used to help sort out audio issues. I would switch to Manjaro if it made sense. I am pretty much a "commercial user" or newbie, which maybe is another way for saying lazy. If it doesn't make much difference, then I would try to get everything working through mint. I would love to be able to get FL Studio working, maybe with 3rd party vst plugins if possible, but I could see that being pretty hard. Just being able to use FL Studio built in plugins would already be slick.

Not sure if audio jack could help with the soundcard issue though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgrqMv3Lzfk
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Well, I wasn't going to sit through 55 minutes of that video. :lol:

If KDE is what you want, and music production is something you do, I think that might be just the ticket for you. You could always make a Live version on a USB stick to test it out first before installing.

There is one other thing in your Mint install that might make a difference. Update the kernel to a supported kernel via the Update Manager. The kernels are a level 4 update, so you probably haven't been seeing them depending on your Update Manager preferences. The 4.15 series has now replaced the 4.10 series.

Also, the kdesudo command should work. Maybe if you tried another text editor besides xed. I was going to suggest in my last post before realizing KDE was involved to go to /etc/pulse in your File Manager then right click and select Open as Root or similar. Then double clicking on default.pa should open it for editing.

And finally, the big output showed me that analog surround 4.0 is really the only option on that card:

Profiles:
		input:multichannel-input: Multichannel Input (sinks: 0, sources: 1, priority: 1, available: yes)
		output:analog-surround-40: Analog Surround 4.0 Output (sinks: 1, sources: 0, priority: 700, available: yes)
		output:analog-surround-40+input:multichannel-input: Analog Surround 4.0 Output + Multichannel Input (sinks: 1, sources: 1, priority: 701, available: yes)
		off: Off (sinks: 0, sources: 0, priority: 0, available: yes)
	Active Profile: output:analog-surround-40
I thought that was a bit odd, and maybe the kernel upgrade would recognize the card properly and fix that. But that's a wild guess though.
gertman34
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gertman34 »

I tried the Steinberg Cl1 instead of the Audient ID4. Steinberg works straight out of the box. Had this thing for almost ten years lol. Guess I will go with that for now until I can get the motivation to work more on the audient ID4 lol.

Thank you so much for your help :)
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

You're very welcome. :D

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”