Mint 20 Keeps Losing HDMI Sound Output [Solved]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 20 Keeps Losing HDMI Sound Output [Solved]

Post by Todd Sauve »

Hi,

My system is completely up to date as of Oct. 16, 2020 but every time I reboot or Suspend my PC it loses the HDMI audio output and the Sound Settings show only my onboard sound chip and I get sound from my desktop speakers only. I have a X570 motherboard (Asus TUF Gaming Plus with the latest BIOS) with AMD 3700X CPU, and my video card is an Nvidia GTX 770.

The newest Nvidia 450 driver is installed and this is when the problems started. So I changed back to the Nvidia 390 driver but it does exactly the same thing. Something has gone goofy in the software but I don't know how to fix it, as changing the video driver only makes the HDMI output show up once. Then when I reboot or put the PC to sleep, it comes back without any access to the GTX 770's HDMI audio output and my surround receiver does not receive any signal whatsoever, except the video signal.

Any good ideas on this guys and gals? Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Last edited by Todd Sauve on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mint 20 Keeps Losing HDMI Sound Output

Post by MrEen »

Hi Todd Sauve,

When the sound is gone, try pulseaudio -k in the terminal. If that doesn't work, try sudo alsa force-reload.

If both don't help, run this command twice, once with working sound and once without:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to your sound setup. Hopefully that will tell us where the issue lies.
Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

Thanks for answering me! I can't get at it until tomorrow evening but I'll be sure to follow your instructions and post what I find! Thanks again. 8)
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

No worries. Whenever you get to it is when when you get to it. :D
Todd Sauve
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Todd Sauve »

I changed the driver from the Nvidia 450 release to the 440 driver before I shut the PC off a couple of days ago. Now the sound settings are working properly and detecting the correct HDMI output on my GTX 770 video card. I don't know what the problem was with the 450 drivers but the 440 driver seems to have cured the problem. If it starts happening again I will try your solutions and get back to you.

Thanks again for your help!
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mint 20 Keeps Losing HDMI Sound Output [Solved]

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome, and I hope things remain working! :D

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”