no sound after suspend (19.1 Tessa)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Italapas
Level 1
Level 1

no sound after suspend (19.1 Tessa)

Post by Italapas »

For the last few days, I've lost sound each time I suspend my computer (desktop running 19.1 Tessa). Restarting fixes the sound, but makes suspending kind of pointless. I can't just leave the computer running for noise reasons. I'm not super technical, so I'm not sure where to start trying to track down the cause of this.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: no sound after suspend (19.1 Tessa)

Post by MrEen »

Hi Italapas, and welcome to the forum.

See if running pulseaudio -k in the terminal restores the sound. You may need to restart the sound playing apps after that.
Italapas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Italapas »

I did try running pulseaudio -k, but nothing changed. What do you mean when you say "sound playing apps"? I'm trying to either play stuff through the browser (youtube), games on Steam, or local stuff using VLC. I didn't *think* any of those would be running in the background and needing to be restarted, but I don't really know for sure.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Those are all sound playing apps. So after running pulseaudio -k, restart the browser and then see if the sound works there. The reason I say that is the browser connected to a PID of pulseaudio that now no longer exists. Some apps can work their way around this, but the browsers often can't.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”