SOLVED: AMD R7 250 and missing VA-API codecs

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User-007
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: AMD R7 250 and missing VA-API codecs

Post by User-007 »

Hi all,

My R7 250 is missing some codecs which are needed for Firefox HW accelerated videos.

My vainfo:

Code: Select all

libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_7
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.7 (libva 2.6.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 20.0.5 for AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (VERDE, DRM 3.37.0, 5.4.0-52-generic, LLVM 10.0.0)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :	VAEntrypointVideoProc
Where are other codecs like H.264? I am using AMDGPU drivers.

Thanks in advance
User 007
Last edited by User-007 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: AMD R7 250 and missing VA-API codecs

Post by antikythera »

Open Mint's Welcome Screen and click on first steps, install the codec pack offered. That should sort it.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
User-007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by User-007 »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:19 am
Open Mint's Welcome Screen and click on first steps, install the codec pack offered. That should sort it.
Thanks for your reply. No that’s not the issue.

I figured out that support for HW-accelerated videos for AMDGPU will be at 5.9 Kernel. I have to wait a little bit. Changed to radeon and H.264 and hardware accelerated videos in Firefox work correctly.

Though, no Vulkan before 5.9.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Your GPU is not actually supported by amdgpu anyway so switching to radeon was the right move.
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
User-007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by User-007 »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:05 pm
Your GPU is not actually supported by amdgpu anyway so switching to radeon was the right move.
Wrong. Amdgpu supports any card based on GCN architecture. Some amdgpu-pro features are not supported but plain amdgpu is supported.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Not wrong, 1st generation GCN Islands cards like yours are only supported experimentally by amdgpu with flags applied to grub.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... op-GCN-1.0

Note the comments about video decode in the Phoronix article.
User-007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by User-007 »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:28 pm
Not wrong, 1st generation GCN Islands cards like yours are only supported experimentally by amdgpu with flags applied to grub.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... op-GCN-1.0

Note the comments about video decode in the Phoronix article.
Yes, but it is still supported. And works well -without the video decoding, which will be changed, as I said.

Edit: BTW, when I installed amdgpu additional drivers (not pro-) via official Radeon software 20.20 installation script, no grub flags were needed.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

You are in cloud cuckoo land if you really believe your Islands card will ever be supported fully by amdgpu in any other capacity than experimental. They are mulling over dropping it from amdgpu completely. That's not something Phoronix have dreamt up.

The support for hardware video acceleration will certainly not be added for your card. AMD already said as much to both statements:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ ... 43586.html

Since you are using the AMD driver install script rather than using the distribution supplied drivers, you should really be seeking support for the driver on the AMD forums or from the person offering the install script and updated MESA.

Please demonstrate which driver you are running with

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxmz
User-007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by User-007 »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:54 pm
The support for hardware video acceleration will certainly not be added for your card. AMD already said as much to both statements:
The support is already there (Kernel 5.9). See: https://linuxreviews.org/Linux_5.9_Brin ... nel_Driver
antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:54 pm
Since you are using the AMD driver install script rather than using the distribution supplied drivers, you should really be seeking support for the driver on the AMD forums or from the person offering the install script and updated MESA.
[/code]
Using radeon until Kernel 5.9.

Actually no support is needed anymore, see post #3. Marked as solved now.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: SOLVED: AMD R7 250 and missing VA-API codecs

Post by antikythera »

Thank you for at last providing some information to back up your post #3, I was not aware of that article and it's relatively good news but won't help everyone with old hardware as support for some other devices has been dropped from the kernels in the meantime.

You do still need to use the experimental support kernel arguments though or the amdgpu driver will not be loaded for your cards.

It's quite ridiculous it took an individual to code support for AMD hardware rather than an AMD developer though. I just hope kernel 5.9 when it comes works with the rest of your hardware okay.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: SOLVED: AMD R7 250 and missing VA-API codecs

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:20 am
It's quite ridiculous it took an individual to code support for AMD hardware rather than an AMD developer though.
AMD have had their act together recently. I keep my eyes on kernel development and AMD have been pushing a lot of code recently. I dare say they've had a talking to from their fat-wallet data centre partners.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”