[solved] No volume control (only no sound or max volume)

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wulle
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] No volume control (only no sound or max volume)

Post by wulle »

On my Lenovo Yoga X1 Gen 5 the sound in Linux Mint has only two volume settings. It's either muted or at full volume. (With every volume up/down-keypress the corresponding click sound has the same volume as well). The pulseaudio version is 13.99.1. I cannot change anything about this behaviour with pavucontrol as well as with alsamixer.
Some information about my system:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: YogaX1 Kernel: 5.4.0-26-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 
Machine:   Type: Convertible System: LENOVO product: 20UBCTO1WW v: ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 serial: <superuser/root required> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 20UBCTO1WW v: SDK0R32862 WIN serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: LENOVO v: N2WET22W (1.12 ) 
           date: 08/25/2020 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel driver: sof-audio-pci 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-26-generic 
Info:      Processes: 269 Uptime: 38m Memory: 15.27 GiB used: 2.10 GiB (13.8%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38

(I recently installed Ubuntu and Manajro on the same machine and did not experience this problem. However with all three distributions only the front/top speakers were detected. The bottom/bass speakers are not working. But I don't know, if this has anything to do with the problem described here)

I am grateful for any help!
Last edited by wulle on Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: No volume control (only no sound or max volume)

Post by MrEen »

Hi wulle, and welcome to the forum.

You should apply the kernel update that is available. If that doesn't make any difference, then post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
That will have a URL on the last line of output pointing to your sound setup.
wulle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wulle »

MrEen, thank you for your quick reply!

After updating the kernel I now have control over the volume. Thank you for this hint.
However, the sound is still quite "tinny". I will do a little more research but eventually start a new topic if I cannot find anything helpful.

Have a great day!
wulle
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Hi wulle,

I'm glad the kernel update fixed the volume control. For the tinny sound issue, if you have no luck finding a solution, the above curl command will be necessary to help sort it out. I do have a suspicion on one thing that might fix it from this bug report.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”