Sound on left channel only on LM 20

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound on left channel only on LM 20

Post by mpg »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:26 pm
Found an older bug report with a no sound at all issue with the same codec you have. When they installed Ubuntu 20.04 (which Mint 20 is based on) it fixed their issue: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/690487

And a thread here also no speaker sound where the OP never came back: viewtopic.php?t=319346
Will try that suggestion and reply with results tomorrow. Thank you very much for all the help, i know this can be very frustrating but you did not give up even now, i appreciate it.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Damn. I found a present bug report with no action yet: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1876463

Not sure why you're getting sound on the left based on what I'm finding.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

New idea. Install alsa-tools-gui (this is different than alsa-tools) so you can run HDAJackRetask.

Check the box for Show unconnected pins, then check the Override box for 0x14 and change it to Not connected. Next check the Override box for 0x18 and change it to Internal Speaker.
Click on Install boot override then reboot and test the sound. If 0x18 can't be set, try other not connected pins.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Dangit. I saw that you were just here and I now realize I meant 0x17 instead of 0x18. :oops:
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

mpg wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:27 pm
About hardware issues, i am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with it, because back when it had windows 10 installed it worked fine. I also remember it used to have an specific control panel just for the sound of the notebook, it was probably installed with the soundchip driver itself.
It's got to be worth checking it hasn't broken in the mean time, before going through any more hair-pulling on software investigation. You could, for example, try firing up a bootable image of another distro.

Are the headphone and speaker outputs independent of each other? If the speakers cut out automatically when headphones are plugged in, there's a chance they are one and the same, and the headphone socket physically switches the speakers off. Being stereo there are two switches in the socket, and one of those might simply not be making contact any more.
Currently: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 4.6.6, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20β, LM18.2
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

Dark Owl wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:46 am
It's got to be worth checking it hasn't broken in the mean time, before going through any more hair-pulling on software investigation. You could, for example, try firing up a bootable image of another distro.

Are the headphone and speaker outputs independent of each other? If the speakers cut out automatically when headphones are plugged in, there's a chance they are one and the same, and the headphone socket physically switches the speakers off. Being stereo there are two switches in the socket, and one of those might simply not be making contact any more.
It is probably something to do with proprietary drivers not hardware issues. I tried to install Mint 20 once dual boot, speaker only worked on windows with the manufacturer control panel. Now i installed LM20 by itself, still not working. Headphones worked fine on any case.

Tried booting from usb now in ubuntu and Mint Debian, still no luck.
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:43 pm
New idea. Install alsa-tools-gui (this is different than alsa-tools) so you can run HDAJackRetask.

Check the box for Show unconnected pins, then check the Override box for 0x14 and change it to Not connected. Next check the Override box for 0x18 and change it to Internal Speaker.
Click on Install boot override then reboot and test the sound. If 0x18 can't be set, try other not connected pins.
Tried this too, pin 0x17 override ended up with no sound at all, same thing for pin 0x16. Reverted the changes now.

I might try reinstalling Windows later, see if is really a hardware issue or not.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Try the 0x17 change again without changing 0x14 to not connected.

If that doesn't work, if/when you have Windows on that machine again, we can run something to get some info from it, to compare what differences there are in Linux. In Windows grab the zip file here and extract/run that and paste the output somewhere you can access it or post it here.

Then back on Mint, run these commands one at a time and paste the output:

Code: Select all

sudo su
echo 1 > /sys/module/snd_hda_codec/parameters/dump_coef
exit
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:16 pm
Try the 0x17 change again without changing 0x14 to not connected.

If that doesn't work, if/when you have Windows on that machine again, we can run something to get some info from it, to compare what differences there are in Linux. In Windows grab the zip file here and extract/run that and paste the output somewhere you can access it or post it here.

Then back on Mint, run these commands one at a time and paste the output:

sudo su
exit
Just tried the first suggestion, no luck too.

Will check on that windows installation, but considering it took over 10 hours to install and update last time, might not even be tomorrow yet.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

mpg wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:42 pm
Will check on that windows installation, but considering it took over 10 hours to install and update last time, might not even be tomorrow yet.
Understood. Sorry you're going through this! :(
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

mpg wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 am
It is probably something to do with proprietary drivers not hardware issues.
Excuse me if I find it extremely weird that a driver issue could affect just one channel, not both.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Dark Owl wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:08 pm
mpg wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 am
It is probably something to do with proprietary drivers not hardware issues.
Excuse me if I find it extremely weird that a driver issue could affect just one channel, not both.
Well, the codec parser is probably to blame, and that is essentially a part of the driver.

EDIT: And this could actually boil down to what the BIOS is reporting.
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

Well, after an entire day of messing around with the windows installation, twice, i finally managed to get it working somewhat.

After Dark Owl post i started to suspect it may be the hardware fault or something peculiar, since even on windows the right speaker only works with about 60% of the volume of the left one. I am still installing updates just to make sure (they never seem to finish, still on version 1909 as of now), and then i will post the dumps that MrEen requested tomorrow probably, once everything is settled. After that i will reinstall LM20 again, and post the other file requested.

To be fair, i don't really think this is a software only fault, the speaker on the notebook behaves in a very strange way, unlike most others i have seen. Maybe i messed something along the OS reinstalls along the way, i am not really sure.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

It certainly is possible it's a hardware issue, and they do happen. I would suspect a hard knock of the laptop as opposed to anything with installs though. Just wasn't noticed until the install. But as I said earlier, I always leave hardware as the final option.

And just so you're aware. Most Realtek drivers in Windows are written to compensate for the BIOS mucking it all up. Well, that plus extra "features" in some cases. The Linux kernel team have some Realtek employees on the team, but Windows always gets "fixed" first. The Linux side always seems like an afterthought.

Looking forward to the outputs to see if we can get this working properly.
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

So, after an entire day installing and updating windows to check out things, it seems that DarkOwl was kind of right. The right speaker did not have any sound at all (at least i think so), so on theory i should not be able to hear sounds on the right channel.

However it seems that on windows some of the right channel sound goes to the left. Testing on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWJaFD6R2s the right channel is completely deaf on LM20, but on windows it is about 60% as loud as the left channel (even though the sound comes from the left speaker). I can't really remember if it was always like this, but for now i am going with hardware issues mostly. At least the headphones are working fine, so there's that. Sorry if i ended up wasting somebody time on this goose-chase without realizing the problem before.

As for the dumps and reports, there were 4 OS installs. The first one was the LM20, which i got the suggestion to go back to windows to see if the sound would work again. After that i installed the standard windows 10, from the official site. It behaved strangely, and was very slow and unresponsive, but the speaker was working like i described before, so i got the dump just like MrEen suggested.

After that i decided to reinstall windows, this time with dell's recovery image, which took more than 12h to install with some of the updates (i had to sleep during it, have no idea why it is taking so long, LM20 installs in less than an hour with all the updates). After installing i again tested the sound and got the dump report, then i installed LM20 again and got some more dumps.

I will post these in the next post soon to avoid messing things up.
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

Before removing LM20:
Only left speaker working, headphones are fine

Curl command: https://termbin.com/uv1bh
Wget: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=ce2ddc5d5 ... 99f3d8f615

Result of

sudo su
exit
in this link: https://pastebin.com/dG9cFz2k

Standard Windows image:
Only the left speaker worked (probably, could not fell/hear anything from the right), but the left speaker also played sounds of the right channel with about 60% of the volume of the left channel. Headphones had some cackling sounds, but mostly fine.

The report from the zip file executable, with both "all PCI devices" and "dump .dat" enabled: https://pastebin.com/yXw9X242

Dell's Windows image:
Mostly the same as the standard windows, but the headphones worked better and the report was quite large:
Part 1 - https://pastebin.com/SANUYnEW
There is a second part but it is mostly a huge .dat file that is over the 512kb limit on pastebin, if it is necessary i can post it in two separate links.

LM20 after everything:
The same as it was before on LM20

Curl command: https://termbin.com/v9ef
Wget: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=45ab8ddad ... 2a3dc2e11f

Result of

sudo su
exit
in this link: https://pastebin.com/YsYzj4TX
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

My prediction is that results from the speakers could vary each time you plug headphones in and remove them again. If so, this is because the switch contacts which break (on insertion) and make (on removal) are making poor contact, and it would be possible to repair by replacing the socket assembly, and absolutely indicates a hardware problem.

If the results are consistent, then it is difficult to rule out the software. Results which don't vary if you don't change the software but do vary by changing the software are indicative that the software is behaving differently (but do not rule out a hardware problem).

I cannot absolutely say the headphone socket mechanically switches out the loudspeakers, the outputs could be independent and switched by software (certainly some TVs do this). If it were me, I would be dismantling and looking at the headphone socket itself to count the PCB pins it has (which is highly indicative of the switching functions it contains), and doing some continuity testing.
mpg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpg »

Well, i think i am going to mark this thread as solved, since the is not much that can be done. Now the only thing i want to know if there is a way to make the sound output mono, so that i can hear the right channel too.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Before going Mono, let's see if setting Linux to the same thing as Windows has any impact. What I'm going to post will be undone with a reboot, so no harm in trying.

I paste these in pairs, but enter them individually, then test the sound after each pair. You'll need alsa-tools installed to run these:

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x08
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x6a0c

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x10
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x0320

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x1a
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x8c03

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x44
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x4500

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x45
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x5289

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x46
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x0204

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x48
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0xd811

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x49
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x0045

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x4a
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x20e1

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x46
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x0204

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_COEF_INDEX 0x67
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 SET_PROC_COEF 0x3000
Start at the top and work your way down. If something breaks the sound completely, reboot and start over and skip the offending pair the next time. It's possible this will have no effect. It's also possible this will make the sound work better than it does on Windows. No way to know until you try.

If no luck with that we'll get you changed over to Mono.

Good luck.

P.S. Sorry for the delay in getting this done. I didn't have a large enough chunk of time available until now to parse and diff the outputs.
Dark Owl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dark Owl »

Good link in your sig, MrEen

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”