[SOLVED - Hardware Issue] At Wits End - No Sound on Clean Install of Ulyana with AMD Turks Or Intel ICH10

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Re: At Wits End - No Sound on Clean Install of Ulyana with AMD Turks Or Intel ICH10

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MrEen wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:26 pm
Okay, try what's in this post then reboot and see if there's a difference.
As per the reference post, I did apt update && apt install libasound2=1.2.2-2.1 libasound2-data=1.2.2-2.1 libatopology2=1.2.2-2.1, and nothing changed. After reboot, the only available audio source is the digital SPDIF, and when I issue the command to create the new sink for analog stereo, a notice appears saying the new sink has been found, but I still can't use it, and the whine from the speakers persists, though I only just noticed that the speakers begin whining as soon as the machine powers up - even before the OS is loaded... Hardware issue maybe? Also, the HDMI Audio on the AMD card still doesn't appear.

Anything else will have to wait for tomorrow, as I have to get to work shortly after posting this. I really appreciate your help so far!
If I had a signature, this is where I'd stick it.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Re: At Wits End - No Sound on Clean Install of Ulyana with AMD Turks Or Intel ICH10

Post by EvilSupahFly »

Here's what Cinnamon showed me when I was running this same machine (originally a LM18 clean install, later upgraded to LM19) with the HDA PPA.

Compare that to what I'm getting now, on LM20:

I just don't understand what I'm missing, and getting sound working is important for her to be able to do her classes online during lockdown. :(
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

That last command was to revert some updates that were affecting some AMD users. I had hoped that might have been the blocker here, but no luck.

Here's something worth trying (looking back I don't see mentioning it yet.)

1. Run a Live ISO of Mint 20 and see if the sound works properly there. If so, run sudo alsactl store followed by cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and paste that output here. Then in the installed version run xed admin:///var/lib/alsa/asound.state and when the file opens delete any contents that are there then paste in the Live copy. save the file, then finish by running sudo alsactl restore.

Also, if Windows is still on this machine, boot to it and ensure Fast Startup is off. Then shut down. Don't reboot. Wait a few minutes then boot into Mint and see if there's a difference.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MrEen wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:21 pm
That last command was to revert some updates that were affecting some AMD users. I had hoped that might have been the blocker here, but no luck.

Here's something worth trying (looking back I don't see mentioning it yet.)

1. Run a Live ISO of Mint 20 and see if the sound works properly there. If so, run sudo alsactl store followed by cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and paste that output here. Then in the installed version run xed admin:///var/lib/alsa/asound.state and when the file opens delete any contents that are there then paste in the Live copy. save the file, then finish by running sudo alsactl restore.

Also, if Windows is still on this machine, boot to it and ensure Fast Startup is off. Then shut down. Don't reboot. Wait a few minutes then boot into Mint and see if there's a difference.
Windows was never on the machine - I built it from scratch and have been using LM on it right from day one.

Well, I booted her system from my 16GB Ventoy thumb drive using a variety of .ISOs, and it's all the same:

Knoppix:

Zorin:

LM20

On the upside, I discovered that PAVP was active and when I disabled it in the BIOS, the whine in the speakers stopped. Otherwise, still no sound.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

I don't have a screenshot, but I booted Windows 7 from the Hiren's 15 .ISO and even Windows didn't like the Intel HDA, although, considering how unreliable Windows can be if you don't have *precisely* the correct driver set, I'm not surprised.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

EvilSupahFly wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 pm
I built it from scratch...
You made the proper header connection to the motherboard for the Front Panel Audio connector?
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MartyMint wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 pm
EvilSupahFly wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 pm
I built it from scratch...
You made the proper header connection to the motherboard for the Front Panel Audio connector?
Yes, though I had to Google the MoBo, but everything worked fine on LM18 and 19. After two years of using it as a Media Centre PC (running Kodi over LM18, then eventually LM19), I replaced the HDDs, did a clean install of LM20, and gave it to my daughter to replace what she was using before (an HP mini tower that was basically junk, but got free from a friend which replaced the old Toshiba laptop she had been using previously).

In March, I got a 4TB Network Storage device, moved the media over, and removed the PC, which sat in the corner, unused and unplugged until about two weeks ago when the onboard LAN on her HP died, so I pulled out the old "Kodi Box", replaced the HDDs and RAM with new stuff I got off Amazon, did a clean install of LM20 last week once I finally had everything I'd ordered, and moved my daughter's stuff over. Nothing inside the case was touched in the intervening time.

** Edit: Everything, except the sound, works marvellously, and she's very happy with the machine over all, but she has no sound. Just the sound doesn't work.
Last edited by EvilSupahFly on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Do headphones pick up anything on the Front Panel or rear panel audio output jacks?
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MartyMint wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:13 am
Do headphones pick up anything on the Front Panel or rear panel audio output jacks?
Nope. It steadfastly refuses to acknowledge anything other than the SPDIF connector. So... Tomorrow after work, I'm going to put LM19 on the Ventoy stick and see what happens.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

One other thing that might gives us some clues. Install alsa-tools then run this with stuff plugged in and unplugged:

Code: Select all

sudo hdajacksensetest -a
If the jack detection is working properly, then there's still something I'm missing that should get this working. If the jack detection is reversed, we can deal with that with another program.

Also, longshot here, with the Hiren's boot thingamajig, you might look at BIOS upgrades. Those sometimes help.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MrEen wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 pm
One other thing that might gives us some clues. Install alsa-tools then run this with stuff plugged in and unplugged:

sudo hdajacksensetest -a
If the jack detection is working properly, then there's still something I'm missing that should get this working. If the jack detection is reversed, we can deal with that with another program.

Also, longshot here, with the Hiren's boot thingamajig, you might look at BIOS upgrades. Those sometimes help.
As far as I can tell, the BIOS is up as far as it will go, but I'll check again to be sure.

As for jack testing, I don't find these results encouraging:

zoya@zoyas-pc ~ $ sudo hdajacksensetest -a
[sudo] password for zoya:             
Pin 0x11 (Orange SPDIF Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x12 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Green Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Orange Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x17 (Grey Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Pink Mic, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Pink Mic, Front side): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Blue Line In, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Green Headphone, Front side): present = No
Pin 0x1c (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Black Digital Out, HDMI): present = No
Pin 0x1f (Not connected): present = No
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Was that output with headphones or speakers plugged in?
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

The same in each case. Plugged in, removed, put in different jacks - all the same.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Okay, it's possible that's due to the source of the issue.

Does your BIOS allow you to disable the sound card? If so, do that for one boot then enable it again on the next boot. That has worked for 2 users recently.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MrEen wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 pm
Okay, it's possible that's due to the source of the issue.

Does your BIOS allow you to disable the sound card? If so, do that for one boot then enable it again on the next boot. That has worked for 2 users recently.
I looked into a BIOS upgrade, but it's up as far as it will go, according to Dell.

I'll see about turning it off and report back after reboot.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

So I turned off the onboard audio in the BIOS, rebooted, and this is what I get now:

Pin 0x03 ( Digital Out, HDMI): present = No
When I plug the speakers into the HDMI adapter I picked up on Amazon (has the 3.5mm jack), I get this:

Pin 0x03 ( Digital Out, HDMI): present = No
zoya@zoyas-pc ~ $ 
In both cases, I get this:

Meaning, the audio-out on the AMD card isn't being seen either.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Okay, I'm assuming the HDMI output issue is because of this:

[115731.513666] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115731.810034] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115732.109994] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115732.412350] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115732.836793] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115733.129569] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116015.317736] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116015.589172] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116209.723423] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116209.973117] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116217.029541] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116217.352684] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116227.676716] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116227.999719] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116228.308023] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116228.631450] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
That one is over my head I'm afraid.

Now enable the built in audio again in the BIOS and see if that starts working or is the same.
EvilSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by EvilSupahFly »

MrEen wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:33 pm
Okay, I'm assuming the HDMI output issue is because of this:

[115731.513666] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115731.810034] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115732.109994] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115732.412350] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115732.836793] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[115733.129569] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116015.317736] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116015.589172] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116209.723423] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116209.973117] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116217.029541] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116217.352684] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116227.676716] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116227.999719] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116228.308023] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
[116228.631450] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect [radeon]] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID
That one is over my head I'm afraid.

Now enable the built in audio again in the BIOS and see if that starts working or is the same.
I'm not using an HDMI monitor. It's DVI. The HDMI port is only hosting an HDMI-to-VGA adapter for the 3.5mm stereo out.

As for the Intel audio system:

Pin 0x11 (Orange SPDIF Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x12 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Green Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x15 (Black Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Orange Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x17 (Grey Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Pink Mic, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Pink Mic, Front side): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Blue Line In, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Green Headphone, Front side): present = No
Pin 0x1c (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Black Digital Out, HDMI): present = No
Pin 0x1f (Not connected): present = No
Am I right? Probably hardware issue?
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

It could be hardware, but I'm still not certain of that.

Have you tried the default kernel that Mint ships with?

Can't remember if I asked if the Live ISO also shows the same behavior?

In one of your earliest outputs you had JACK running as well. Does stopping that make any difference?
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Just spotted this as well:

[  492.611179] qasmixer[2048]: segfault at f8 ip 00007f106e56b5a5 sp 00007fff13c6ecc0 error 4 in libasound_module_ctl_arcam_av.so[7f106e56a000+3000]
That may have been related to the libasound updates.

Let's see a fresh copy of this:

dmesg | grep -C1 -E 'ALSA|HDA|sof|HDMI|snd[_-]|sound|hda.codec|hda.intel'
With that kernel you're using, it might be necessary to put sudo in front of that command, but probably not.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”