High-pitched noise/buzzing in headphones

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sound66
Level 1
Level 1

High-pitched noise/buzzing in headphones

Post by sound66 »

Hi,

I've been using Linux Mint 20 for a few weeks now, but for the last few days I've been having a strange sound problem. As soon as I start something that has to do with the audio output (for example, the audio settings or a Youtube video) I hear a noise in the headphones. The noise then disappears again when the audio output is stopped. Strangely, the problem disappears as soon as I unplug the headphones and plug them back in, but I would like to know what is wrong.

I am using Mint 20 on a dual boot system together with Windows 10. The headphones are in-ears with a microphone and connected through an AUX cable.

I don't know if it's related, but the problem appeared around the time I first used the microphone in windows 10 a few days ago. Of course, Windows 10 always shuts down completely (no fast start or anything else). The problem persists when I boot from windows to linux and vice versa or from linux back to linux.

What else I noticed: When booting Mint through grub, I once saw the logo of my laptop manufacturer for a very very short second, which actually belongs to the windows boot loader. I do not know if this is also related.

It all seems that when my headphones are connected during the boot process something runs wrong and return back to normal as i replug the headphones.
What i also noticed: The microphone from the headphones are not recognized until i replug the device.

Thank you for your help.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: High-pitched noise/buzzing in headphones

Post by MrEen »

Hi sound66, and welcome to the forum.

Let's start with the noise issue first. Run this in the terminal then reboot and test if the noise is still there:

Code: Select all

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel power_save=0'
sound66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sound66 »

Hi MrEen,

Very thank you for the fast answer.

I run the command and rebooted, but the problem is still there.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

Okay, it was a bit of a guess, but it's probably fine to leave that in place.

If you mute your microphone in the sound settings, does that stop noise? If not, let's get a look at your sound setup with this command:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to the info.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”