Having trouble compressing MP3's [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BTCSMS
Level 2
Level 2

Having trouble compressing MP3's [Solved]

Post by BTCSMS »

I download an app called "Sound Converter" to compress music files and maybe free up some space on my HD.
The problem is, Linux doesn't play nice nice with MP3. The app said I needed to get a plug-in called "GStreaming LAME plugin" and yet,
didn't give a link or download tab. I searched for it and it's only available for Ubuntu specific versions.
I have spend over 30 hours this week trying to figure out how Linux deals with MP3 compression and conversion, and I am no closer to feeling comfortable with Linux and my music collection. Why can Linux play MP3 and yet not deal with them when you need to work with MP3?
The entire Linux line should just disallow MP3 altogether, than to expose new users like me to pitfalls, gaps in compatibility and an over-all mindset of "chaos is fine, let the Linux terminal super users have a ball, and all the people coming from Apple and Windows can wander through the forest for months".
Do you know why people who's lives revolve around music gravitate to Apple?
"Click, drag, drop, done". The first Linux distro with included apps to get this right will win...everything...the world.
The amount of time one saves not dealing with Linux terminal repair jobs of compatibility is astounding.
For every 30 seconds of Apple's intuitive GUI compatibility = 12 hours of searching for plug-ins, codecs and bash script in Linux. :roll:
Unless you only want to deal with OGG and FLAC, then fine. But good luck finding a portable music play for under $500 that reads OGG and FLAC.
My frustration level is off the charts. I may have to abandon Linux for my health. :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 quad-core
Memory: 1TB, 16G RAM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530
Audio: Intel 100 Series/C230 HD
Network: Intel Ethernet I219-V and
Realtek RTL8812AE 802.11ac PCIe wifi
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Having trouble compressing MP3's

Post by Hoser Rob »

Linux Mint works fine with mp3s. All you need to make this work is install mint-meta-codecs. It's routine in Linux to do this after installing the OS because that package contains proprietary codecs.

BTW the reason "people who's (sic) lives revolve around music gravitate to Apple" has to do with music production, not playing media files, and besides that hasn't really been true for 20 years. Windows dominates the DAW world now.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

BTCSMS wrote: I have spend over 30 hours this week trying to figure out how Linux deals with MP3 compression and conversion, and I am no closer to feeling comfortable with Linux and my music collection. Why can Linux play MP3 and yet not deal with them when you need to work with MP3?
I think there are lots of different applications and methods for using MP3 compression in Linux. For example, speaking for myself, I use ffmpeg, which offers a variety of options. I'm sure there are others that offer similarly.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg version 4.3-2~18.04.york0 Copyright (c) 2000-2020 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 7 (Ubuntu 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version='2~18.04.york0' --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --arch=amd64 --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librabbitmq --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opencl --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-pocketsphinx --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
  libavutil      56. 51.100 / 56. 51.100
  libavcodec     58. 91.100 / 58. 91.100
  libavformat    58. 45.100 / 58. 45.100
  libavdevice    58. 10.100 / 58. 10.100
  libavfilter     7. 85.100 /  7. 85.100
  libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
  libswscale      5.  7.100 /  5.  7.100
  libswresample   3.  7.100 /  3.  7.100
  libpostproc    55.  7.100 / 55.  7.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...

Getting help:
    -h      -- print basic options
    -h long -- print more options
    -h full -- print all options (including all format and codec specific options, very long)
    -h type=name -- print all options for the named decoder/encoder/demuxer/muxer/filter/bsf/protocol
    See man ffmpeg for detailed description of the options.

Print help / information / capabilities:
-L                  show license
-h topic            show help
-? topic            show help
-help topic         show help
--help topic        show help
-version            show version
-buildconf          show build configuration
-formats            show available formats
-muxers             show available muxers
-demuxers           show available demuxers
-devices            show available devices
-codecs             show available codecs
-decoders           show available decoders
-encoders           show available encoders
-bsfs               show available bit stream filters
-protocols          show available protocols
-filters            show available filters
-pix_fmts           show available pixel formats
-layouts            show standard channel layouts
-sample_fmts        show available audio sample formats
-colors             show available color names
-sources device     list sources of the input device
-sinks device       list sinks of the output device
-hwaccels           show available HW acceleration methods

Global options (affect whole program instead of just one file):
-loglevel loglevel  set logging level
-v loglevel         set logging level
-report             generate a report
-max_alloc bytes    set maximum size of a single allocated block
-y                  overwrite output files
-n                  never overwrite output files
-ignore_unknown     Ignore unknown stream types
-filter_threads     number of non-complex filter threads
-filter_complex_threads  number of threads for -filter_complex
-stats              print progress report during encoding
-max_error_rate maximum error rate  ratio of errors (0.0: no errors, 1.0: 100% errors) above which ffmpeg returns an error instead of success.
-bits_per_raw_sample number  set the number of bits per raw sample
-vol volume         change audio volume (256=normal)

Per-file main options:
-f fmt              force format
-c codec            codec name
-codec codec        codec name
-pre preset         preset name
-map_metadata outfile[,metadata]:infile[,metadata]  set metadata information of outfile from infile
-t duration         record or transcode "duration" seconds of audio/video
-to time_stop       record or transcode stop time
-fs limit_size      set the limit file size in bytes
-ss time_off        set the start time offset
-sseof time_off     set the start time offset relative to EOF
-seek_timestamp     enable/disable seeking by timestamp with -ss
-timestamp time     set the recording timestamp ('now' to set the current time)
-metadata string=string  add metadata
-program title=string:st=number...  add program with specified streams
-target type        specify target file type ("vcd", "svcd", "dvd", "dv" or "dv50" with optional prefixes "pal-", "ntsc-" or "film-")
-apad               audio pad
-frames number      set the number of frames to output
-filter filter_graph  set stream filtergraph
-filter_script filename  read stream filtergraph description from a file
-reinit_filter      reinit filtergraph on input parameter changes
-discard            discard
-disposition        disposition

Video options:
-vframes number     set the number of video frames to output
-r rate             set frame rate (Hz value, fraction or abbreviation)
-s size             set frame size (WxH or abbreviation)
-aspect aspect      set aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777)
-bits_per_raw_sample number  set the number of bits per raw sample
-vn                 disable video
-vcodec codec       force video codec ('copy' to copy stream)
-timecode hh:mm:ss[:;.]ff  set initial TimeCode value.
-pass n             select the pass number (1 to 3)
-vf filter_graph    set video filters
-ab bitrate         audio bitrate (please use -b:a)
-b bitrate          video bitrate (please use -b:v)
-dn                 disable data

Audio options:
-aframes number     set the number of audio frames to output
-aq quality         set audio quality (codec-specific)
-ar rate            set audio sampling rate (in Hz)
-ac channels        set number of audio channels
-an                 disable audio
-acodec codec       force audio codec ('copy' to copy stream)
-vol volume         change audio volume (256=normal)
-af filter_graph    set audio filters

Subtitle options:
-s size             set frame size (WxH or abbreviation)
-sn                 disable subtitle
-scodec codec       force subtitle codec ('copy' to copy stream)
-stag fourcc/tag    force subtitle tag/fourcc
-fix_sub_duration   fix subtitles duration
-canvas_size size   set canvas size (WxH or abbreviation)
-spre preset        set the subtitle options to the indicated preset
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ffmpeg is an excellent program ... it's a VERY common backend in media software ... but I don't think the OP is interested in a CLI program for this. I'm not either.

Soundconverter (with the mint-meta-codecs package I mentioned) uses the Gstreamer LAME plugin. LAME is as good an mp3 encoder as you can get.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Hoser Rob wrote: ffmpeg is an excellent program ... it's a VERY common backend in media software ... but I don't think the OP is interested in a CLI program for this. I'm not either.
Very well. To your point, I'm sure there are many applications that offer its functionality via GUI.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

BTCSMS wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 pm I download an app called "Sound Converter" to compress music files and maybe free up some space on my HD.
The problem is, Linux doesn't play nice nice with MP3. ......
I couldn't find a program on the internet with the name "Sound Converter".
MP3 is already a compressed sound file format, I believe that if it is possible to compress more, it will affect the quality of the sound (which is not a big deal in an ordinary MP3).

I suppose you are referring to converting audio and or video files to MP3 sound format.

Most of these programs, whether for Windows, Linux or even DOS, run ffmpeg under the hood.
Ffmpeg is command line and very complicated, but there is a graphical interface for it.

You can install:
1- winff -> has in the official Mint repositories

2- Curlew -> very clean and intuitive interface.

Downloads:
General: newer version included.
https://curlew.sourceforge.io/download.php
https://sourceforge.net/projects/curlew/files/

PPA for Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~noobslab/+archive/ubuntu/apps

Good luck and don't complicate the simple.

BTCSMS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BTCSMS »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 am
BTCSMS wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 pm I download an app called "Sound Converter" to compress music files and maybe free up some space on my HD.
The problem is, Linux doesn't play nice nice with MP3. ......
I couldn't find a program on the internet with the name "Sound Converter".
MP3 is already a compressed sound file format, I believe that if it is possible to compress more, it will affect the quality of the sound (which is not a big deal in an ordinary MP3).

I suppose you are referring to converting audio and or video files to MP3 sound format.

Most of these programs, whether for Windows, Linux or even DOS, run ffmpeg under the hood.
Ffmpeg is command line and very complicated, but there is a graphical interface for it.

You can install:
1- winff -> has in the official Mint repositories

2- Curlew -> very clean and intuitive interface.

Downloads:
General: newer version included.
https://curlew.sourceforge.io/download.php
https://sourceforge.net/projects/curlew/files/

PPA for Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~noobslab/+archive/ubuntu/apps

Good luck and don't complicate the simple.

Soundconverter 3.0.2-2 <---

I'm not complicating simple things. In Linux, simple things are complicated. That's the problem.
Example: When I sat down at a computer 30 years ago and opened Microsoft Paint, I could use it with ZERO help, zero video tutorials. This was built for the 99%, through decades of command line trial and error and UI feedback.
When I open Gimp for example, these same simple functions that 99% of people need quickly, are a major research undertaking. It took me an hour just to crop a simple picture. Instead of "click drag, delete", it's a 5 step process that doesn't even include "delete" as it's main command.
Now, I understand that Gimp is 1000 times more powerful than Microsoft Paint, but the bare bones of that utility are lost in Gimp and Krita. A new user should be able to do all the simplest things of Microsoft Paint, and the new programs should expand utility AROUND those basic functions and terminology.
There's too many Linux nerds trying to re-invent the wheel and it's maddening to a "newb", casual user.

Thanks for the links btw, I'll check out Curlew.
Yeah, I have no interest in CLI. I already quit the Linux CLI tutorial after 4 pages when after I cut & pasted from the tutorial exactly, didn't work. Apparently they also assume I'm starting from the same place as them in the OS. A place I have no clue how to get to, or am denied access to.
All I even get with terminal cut&paste commands is "file not found", "invalid command"...etc.
It would be nice to find a personal tutor I could pay money to to shed some light on my problems with Linux, but I live in the sticks and nobody around here has even heard of Linux. Even the computer repair shop in town doesn't deal with Linux. I'm stuck fighting this thing on my own, because nobody seems to want to teach a 6 year old Linux. That's where I'm at with it.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

BTCSMS wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 pm A new user should be able to do all the simplest things of Microsoft Paint, ....
Gimp is a somewhat "professional" program, more or less similar to Photoshop. It requires a rather long learning curve.

You can try "kolourpaint", which in my opinion is easier to use than paint and more functional. There are in the Mint repositories.

Note: 30 years ago (+ - 1991), you meant "Paintbrush" (from Windows 3.x), the predecessor of Paint.
BTCSMS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BTCSMS »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:32 am
BTCSMS wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:58 pm A new user should be able to do all the simplest things of Microsoft Paint, ....
Gimp is a somewhat "professional" program, more or less similar to Photoshop. It requires a rather long learning curve.

You can try "kolourpaint", which in my opinion is easier to use than paint and more functional. There are in the Mint repositories.

Note: 30 years ago (+ - 1991), you meant "Paintbrush" (from Windows 3.x), the predecessor of Paint.
Cool, Thanks!!!
Neato.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yet another newbie who thought that Linux was a free version of Windows ...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

or pinta.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

AndyMH wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pmor pinta.
As I remember and if nothing has changed in "Pinta", it does not include the function of printing.
Absurd!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

The problem is, Linux doesn't play nice nice with MP3. The app said I needed to get a plug-in called "GStreaming LAME plugin" and yet,
I gather you're trying to convert from some other format to mp3. You can do that without installing any extra software like "sound converter".

But since you did install it, I just internet-searched on "sound converter", the 2nd hit is
https://soundconverter.org/
which says "See this howto [link] to enable mp3 encoding." ->
https://soundconverter.org/gstreamer-mp ... ing-howto/
Since Mint = Ubuntu, click
"If you are using regular, stock Ubuntu: Click here to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. "
And, here's it does become a bit confusing, but you just accept/select AptUrl to open the link and then offers to install the software mp3 compression:
(click to make it look better):
mp3.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

didn't give a link or download tab. I searched for it and it's only available for Ubuntu specific versions.
I have spend over 30 hours this week trying ... ... ....
It took me less than 2 minutes to install Soundconverter including all dependencies with the Synaptic Package Manager - not that I need it, but I was wondering how you wasted your 30 hours...
With the Software Manager it would have worked too.

However, it doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with a few basic functions of the operating system you're using - the Synaptic Package Manager is one of them, and the Software Manager shouldn't overwhelm even the usual Ignoramus.

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:34 am However, it doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with a few basic functions of the operating system you're using - the Synaptic Package Manager is one of them, and the Software Manager shouldn't overwhelm even the usual Ignoramus.
Good point; the OP's first mistake was "downloading" a program like one might do in windows, rather than checking the proper software sources/methods.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Sound”