[SOLVED] Sound not working on Dell Chromebook 11 3120

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sound not working on Dell Chromebook 11 3120

Post by Kendoori »

The sound thing was consistent regardless of DE. Under ChromeOS, the sound worked via HDMI, not so under any Linux. The regular audio out (headphone jack) didn't work either. I got the dreaded "dummy" as the output option regardless of distro. Since I happened to have a USB sound interface, I used it as part of the troubleshooting, which allowed me to isolate that issue.

Chromeboxes are really the same as Chromebooks, just don't have an onboard screen.
geogenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geogenius »

So, what you're saying is, the only way to have audio is just via bluetooth or revert to chromeos.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

BT works. Purely my 2 cents, buy yourself a cheapie USB sound dongle. Look for one that's Linux compatible. I suspect that you can get one in the $5-$10 range. It will save you a ton of headaches.
geogenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geogenius »

Actually, there's no need to! In the manjaro live session, when I booted it up, I tested my sound and it worked! I'm going to install it now just to make sure. If it works, I'll post another message and mark this issue as resolved! :D
geogenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by geogenius »

I have successfully installed Manjaro, and the sound works! Thanks to everyone that contributed! I hope this topic can help other people with the same or similar problems. I hope everyone has a good day! :D
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] Sound not working on Dell Chromebook 11 3120

Post by JerryF »

Glad to hear Manjaro works for your Chromebook!

Return to “Sound”