Sound and Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Sound and Xfce

Post by bendipa »

There appears to be an issue when I run Mint on the Xfce DM. Although audio is present and works ok if I run an application like VLC or SMPlayer, the issue seems to be related to sound events. Eg, if I bring up the Sound Settings GUI and click on 'Test Sound' nothing is heard. But if I run command speaker-test -c2 -t wav then I get sound that the GUI should have given me ('Front Left, Front Right'....). Similarly if if I bring up the Sound Settings GUI, and hit the tab 'Sounds', none of the events listed work. I know that libcanberra has to be installed for sound events to work, and running command dpkg -l | grep canberra produces output as below, so nothing looks to be missing there.

Code: Select all

ii  gnome-session-canberra                      0.30-7ubuntu1                         amd64        GNOME session log in and log out sound events
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-0:amd64                    0.30-7ubuntu1                         amd64        GTK+ 3.0 helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-module:amd64               0.30-7ubuntu1                         amd64        translates GTK3 widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcanberra-pulse:amd64                     0.30-7ubuntu1                         amd64        PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
ii  libcanberra0:amd64                          0.30-7ubuntu1                         amd64        simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
The same output shows when I run Mint on Cinnamon where the sound events all work just fine. So what is the problem with Xfce?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce (Victoria), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
ajgringo619

Re: Sound and Xfce

Post by ajgringo619 »

Try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=322452.
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sound and Xfce

Post by bendipa »

Not much help really.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce (Victoria), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.

Return to “Sound”