which external DVD burner to quality rip CDs?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: which external DVD burner to quality rip CDs?

Post by t42 »

rene wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:40 pm When I turn my head 40 degrees to the right I look at a SCSI Plextor UltraPLex still installed
OMH :!:
It gave me a lot of trouble back in the day to find a compatible SCSI controller and a driver...
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Next to it I have a 386DX-40 with 8M, a 387, a caching IDE controller, AWE32 and a proprietary-interface Panasonic dual-speed (!) CR-562J CD-ROM drive. Ran Slackware 4.0 until "recently". Admittedly also almost never turned on any more but there the saddest thing is that i did not have to look up that CD-ROM type-number...
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

SCSI-CD-ROMs, 500 MB-SCSI-Harddisks - - it's terrible how fast this quarter century flew by... :shock:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Poster drew a conclusion so probably doesn't too much mind us old-farting up his thread, so...

Code: Select all

rene@5vd5:~$ lsscsi
[2:0:0:0]    disk    QUANTUM  FIREBALL ST4.3S  0F0C  /dev/sda
[2:0:3:0]    cd/dvd  PLEXTOR  CD-ROM PX-32TS   1.02  /dev/sr0
[2:0:6:0]    tape    HP       C1533A           AN04  /dev/st0
Adaptec AHA-2940AU adapter. Of which I believe I still have a few additional ones...
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

rene wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:13 pm QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3S 0F0C /dev/sda
Quantum, the best! Quantum Fireball LM20 here, still going strong, full disk encryption.
fbl20.jpg
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

May have something quite like that sitting in a box somewhere as well but I'll not check. Have never been a blockdevice-nerd. Love that tapedrive though --- and have probably 10 to 15 floppy-interface tapedrives still populating another box ;-)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

still, that could win over, but it didn't
Verbatim_230_MO_Disk.jpg
Verbatim_230_MO_Disk.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 718 times
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

That reminded me of my 100MB and 250MB Zip-drives in yet another box (together with their 2T Jaz-drive uncle).

It seems unlikely that (truly, primarily) portable data-carriers "ever" go back to anything other than flash, USB-sticks. Kinda boring, in fact.

[EDIT] No, LOL, 2G Jaz-drive; I just remembered it was huge...
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

...not only boring. All those vendors of technical excellence or their relevant divisions are gone, magneto-optical drives, Iomega, Maxtor, Quantum, several IBM divisions etc. You need to be a connoisseur now even to buy a USB of true MLC type.
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Was just reading up on Intel Optane to see if I could suggest that as, even if not portable per se, at least technologically interesting advancement in storage.

Nèh.
criptal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by criptal »

Hi,
A quick follow up. I received the Pioneer BDR-XD07TS. I like the top opening. It plugs using USB3. I ripped with Asunder several CDs, no issue to report. The only thing which is a limitation is the spinning noise, louder than 5.25" drives.
It has ruber pads so that the drive doesn't move. It has a manual open button.
Globally, I'm very satisfied, regarding quality :-)
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I take note with great interest ... :D
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

criptal wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:54 pm The only thing which is a limitation is the spinning noise, louder than 5.25" drives.
Probably means it's fast, i.e., spins fast. Doing such while remaining accurate is basically what being high quality as to CD-DA extraction means.

If you care for it, you can from the command line rip a CD to individual tracks trackXY.cdda.wav with

Code: Select all

cdparanoia -v -z -B
or that followed by a track number or span of such for (an) individual track(s) rather than the entire CD; man cdparanoia. You add a -S <speed> for setting ripping speed manually.

cdparanoia shows a per-track progress bar and my mentioned experience has taught me that if that progress bar remains fully empty of any trouble indicators (the "progress bar symbols" from the man page) chances of a completely ripped track being the fully same as the next rip of said same track and including from a different drive are very, very high. I.e., that chances of having a perfect rip are very, very high; with reasonable hardware on the order of certainty even if existence of e.g. that AccurateRip database means that you could get to be a bit more certain still if you/I would use that.

Conversely I have experienced that if any trouble indicators do turn up a next rip and almost definitely one from a different drive will NOT be the same. For new, mint and clean CDs no trouble indicator is very much the norm (although "!" is still somewhat common at the end of tracks). Mildly damaged or dirty CDs can go through having patches of "-" show up that can often be corrected by ripping at lower speed, or more so in fact by ripping fewer sectors at a time but at that point you're piecing CD-DA togeher manually: since a difference will still be hard or impossible to in fact hear you need to be the type. "+" is getting at serious and often audible damage, "e" or "V" says the dog used your CD as a frisbee.

That AccurateRip database is relatively new and I myself still don't use it on Linux on which it is of course again a major pain to use anyway. If you do want to, Exact Audio Copy on Windows would be the best solution but I'm then given higher-quality hardware in the first place, such as in this case yours presumedly is as well, satisfied with manual monitoring via cdparanoia as described. AccurateRip also documents per-drive offsets which may even on high-quality drives have its use but frankly, I don't seem to care all that much once at that level.

FWIW...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

While the quality of the output files from CDs in good condition is independent of the CD drive or the ripping software*, if anyone wants to rip CDs in poor condition, this info (actual numbers!) could be helpful:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread ... uracy-2019
CD Drive Accuracy 2019

AccurateRip collects data from all drives, normally this is only used to verify a disc is accurate, but can be reversed to calculate which drives are the most accurate (as measured by lowest % inaccurate tracks).

This test was previously run in 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009 and 2006, as time goes on more submissions give a greater meaning to the results, only drives with over 4000 submissions and 40 users are used.
*The only difference between "(fake) copied" .wav files using a file-browser vs output files from a ripper was the amount of silence at the ends of the files, as checked with mix-paste-difference in Audition.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yes, that's the same link as from the very first reply in this thread.

Return to “Sound”