Sound Mystery - Pulse Audio <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vliscony
Level 3
Level 3

Sound Mystery - Pulse Audio <SOLVED>

Post by vliscony »

Somehow or other I lost my sound, both microphone and speakers, and I have been toying with settings in Pulse AV, without success. Briefly, I got my speakers to work, but I've lost it again.

With certain operations, I hear a crackling in the speakers but that's it. Except in the regular sound control where I can test the speakers, I can get "front right" and "front left" for the Line-out built-in audio.

I am making some progress... Apparently In sound settings somehow the output channel was changed. No idea how that happened. Now the only remaining mystery is the microphones.

I am not clear on a good troubleshooting sequence. There does not appear to be anything like a reset to the defaults in Pulse AV, so I feel I have completely lost track of my changes.
Looking for a good, logical way to proceed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel: 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Cinnamon 20.3, Una, ZaReason Valta xi991, Intel Core i-7 6 core, 64 GB RAM; Radeon RX480 8GB; SSD 500 GB; HD 2x 2TB/8GB cache; CD/DVD RW, Blu-ray/DVD/CD burner; Card reader; HP Officejet Pro 9025
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sound Mystery - Pulse Audio

Post by TeaSwigger »

Pulseaudio is "on top of" ALSA, usually the actual sound system. It may be useful to try alsamixer. Open a terminal, type alsamixer and press enter.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
vliscony
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sound Mystery - Pulse Audio <SOLVED>

Post by vliscony »

Aha! This Alsamixer thingy was most helpful. I had an intuition that there was a layer beneath Pulse.
Yesterday, I stumbled upon the system sound settings and clearly there was a wrong output selected there, and it is something I never touch, so my guess is it happened somehow due to an upgrade of some sort. In any case, This Alsa thingy is most useful to figure out the rest.
Kernel: 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Cinnamon 20.3, Una, ZaReason Valta xi991, Intel Core i-7 6 core, 64 GB RAM; Radeon RX480 8GB; SSD 500 GB; HD 2x 2TB/8GB cache; CD/DVD RW, Blu-ray/DVD/CD burner; Card reader; HP Officejet Pro 9025

Return to “Sound”