Sound app comming up with differnt volumnes in each application

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Sound app comming up with differnt volumnes in each application

Post by Makarios »

Running 20.2 Cinamon.

What i find peculiar is that every time I open a different application that uses sound, I need to go and change the sound levels in the sound app?

Apps. I use that has sound include VLC. KODI, Whatsapp, Telegram , You Tube , Brave , Firefox.

so what happens, is I open something with sound, then the initial volume is too low or too high, and with each app I need to open the sound setting, go to the Applications tab and set the sound of say VLC higher or lower so that I have comfortable level from which to listen and fine tune with volume up or down on the keyboard. ( ive set shortcuts) or volume inside the apps.

Is there a way to have the applications sound sound level for all applications default to the same volume - say 65%?

Currently some apps opens with 0% others with 80% etc and every time I open then apps, it seems to be different?
2021-09-19_20-46.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sound app comming up with differnt volumnes in each application

Post by GELvdH »

It probably means that the different apps have different sound levels when they were first recorded. It sounds like what is happening on TV, every program seems to have a slightly different sound amplitude.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

I suppose you could be right,

But when one goes about tasks on computer, you don't want to be tweaking the sound app every time you do something else.

Is there a way, or an app that would take this tinkering out of the way so one could just be viewing or listening rather than messing with sound settings every time you want to view or listen something, that gets a bit tedious.
Schemel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Schemel »

And after every single song running in Youtube in Firefox, the application sound setting jumps back from manually set 100% to ~80% (sometimes 70ies). Clearly audible sound difference.
This is in LM20 and annoys a lot.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

If any one has a solution for this it would be greatly appreciated
lamar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lamar »

Have you looked at PulseEffects? A very good audio program that will do what you describe and more. Available in Synaptic.
Lamar
lamar
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

I loaded pulse effects.

However it does the same - Vlc initials at 88% and Kodi at 29%

Its a pain to go to either Pulse Effects or the Sound app to lift the audio volume an app starts at. ( lets call this the input volume)

So VLC plays at a comfortable level and KODI is inaudible. as its input volume is 29% even if I increase then volume to 100% the sound is still too soft. I need to go and increase KODI volume from the 29% input level to much higher before the normal volume controls can have an effect that is audible.

Any Suggestions?
2021-09-21_14-32.png
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I would certainly check with PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) here as well. Sometimes just installing it fixes issues like this one without even opening it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

And if that makes no difference, delete the files /home/YourUserName/.config/pulse then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal. It could be a corrupted table in there causing this.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

Thnx Mr Een,

Neither installing PulseAudio Volume Control, not deleting the Pulse folder and running pulseaudio -k made any differnce.

When I run a movie, VLC opens at100% and when I start KODI, it opens at 29%

I then change the settings, close the applications and reopen, but it still does the same?

Any other suggestions?
2021-09-27_06-14.png
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Makarios wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 am Any other suggestions?
Follow this exactly and see if it is still the same:

1. Close that sound app and do not touch it again for the rest of this.

2. Open Kodi and use the Playback tab of pavucontrol to change the volume while something is playing.

3. Close then reopen Kodi and check the volume again using pavucontrol only.

If that worked properly, you will probably find opening the sound app you were using before will revert things back to the previous behavior. I've seen a few users affected this way, but only a few.

If that didn't make a difference, please reboot and try 2 and 3 again.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

Thank you, even following the steps above does not seem to work.

I opened Kodi and then Parvucontrol and saw that (it came up at 29%volume)

I the changed the Volume in parvucontrol to 80%

the moment I stopped KODI, the Kodi volume in Parvucontrol dropped to 29% again..

I have looked but KODI does not have any place where I can set its output or initial volume levels.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

That's very interesting that the level dropped like that when stopping Kodi. I'm assuming restarting doesn't make it pop back up 80%?

I have to head to bed, so I hope someone else might have an idea. If not, I'll be back tomorrow with some config changes we can try if I can remember how to do them.
Makarios
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Makarios »

Thank you kindly

No restarting does not take it back to previously selected volumes - always 29%

Return to “Sound”