CompuLab MintBox no bluetooth

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

CompuLab MintBox no bluetooth

Post by AZM »

I have lost my Bluetooth adapter in my CompuLab MintBox Mini 2 Pro. Touching the Bluetooth icon in the system settings shows no Bluetooth device. Likewise, there is no icon down by the clock. I was paired to my BluMe HD before I lost Bluetooth.

I whipped out a Plugable USB Bluetooth adapter and stuck it in my USB3 hub, and it started working. I have Bluetooth again, and my icon is back beside the clock. I have successfully paired it to my Google Nest Mini speaker and my Anker Soundcore speaker. I had to unpair my smartphone from BluMe HD to open a space to pair the computer through the Plugable.

The BluMe HD can pair to two devices, but only one can play at a time. Since I am paired twice with the computer, that fills its memory up. Of course, I need to find how to forget the missing computer pairing.

All three devices can play sound from the computer, so it seems that everything is working, software-wise.

The CompuLab uses my Wi-Fi antennas for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I am using Wi-Fi, so that much still works.

This computer came pre-installed with Mint 20 Cinnamon one year ago, and several months ago, I upgraded to 20.2. I regularly keep my updates current.

Let's whip out the Terminal and see what we can find about the missing Bluetooth. Where do I begin? I thought I was using Blueman, but that's a Gnome thing, as I have read in a forum. What does Cinnamon use? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBox Mini Pro 2 with Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: CompuLab MintBox no bluetooth

Post by xenopeek »

AZM wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:10 pmThe BluMe HD can pair to two devices, but only one can play at a time. Since I am paired twice with the computer, that fills its memory up. Of course, I need to find how to forget the missing computer pairing.
The BluMe HD user guide (from https://theauris.com/pages/user-guides) answers that, see the red note:
How to factory reset bluMe HD
Perform a factory reset on bluMe HD if you experience malfunction or freeze.
Power OFF bluMe HD (keeping the device connected to the power supply)
Press & Hold the Pair button for 10 secs untill BLUE LED flashes.
Note: This will also clear the pairing record/list from the device.
The re-pair the devices you want to pair with it.

The MintBox Mini 2 are based on Fitlet 2, there may be some info on the wiki about this: https://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fitlet2. Though I checked the FAQ and troubleshooting pages and I couldn't find anything about Bluetooth there.

Cinnamon uses blueberry. You can try the command bt-adapter -i to see if it gives any message why it can't find a Bluetooth device.

And please run the command inxi -Exxx to gather information about Bluetooth devices (usable or not) and drivers in effect. Share the output here.
AZM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AZM »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:26 pm Cinnamon uses blueberry. You can try the command bt-adapter -i to see if it gives any message why it can't find a Bluetooth device.

And please run the command inxi -Exxx to gather information about Bluetooth devices (usable or not) and drivers in effect. Share the output here.
Revisiting this thread after spotting a notification. I've been running a Plugable Bluetooth adapter because the built-in Bluetooth had quit. I ran the bt-adapter -l code, which listed two adapters, named My-Mint (1) and My-Mint.

I switched off the Plugable's USB port and ran the command again. It still listed the My-Mint (1), and my Bluetooth manager in the systems Hardware menu is still functioning. Therefore, the Plugable was not being used.

At some point, it appears that my missing Bluetooth adapter became reactivated and I was using it, instead of the Plugable USB Bluetooth adapter. Its reappearance became the second instance, after the Plugable.

I named my Bluetooth to show in other devices as "C:\" as a poke at Windows, and at that time, I was unknowingly using the built-in adapter. My-Mint (1) is referenced as "C:\."

You asked me to run inxi but there is no -E option listed in either the Man page or Help. This may be because the option was removed in my current version of Linux Mint Cinnamon (20.2).

How, in the absence of the E option, would I use the inxi command if in the future my Bluetooth goes amiss again? That would be useful if it goes missing.

I currently have no issue. Perhaps when I upgraded, a corrupted code was replaced and the Bluetooth adapter became active?

Thank you.
MintBox Mini Pro 2 with Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

inxi -Exxx doesn't fix any bluetooth problems but for taking help from the forums it will help to share the output, it provides information about your bluetooth devices and status.

I was using a newer inxi version. I don't know how to get the same bluetooth info with the 20.2 inxi version. You can get the current inxi version by opening a terminal and running command:
wget -O inxi https://smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi
Then from the same terminal run:
./inxi -Exxx

That should get you the bluetooth info without having to replace your system's inxi. Additionally you can create a directory called bin in your home directory and move the inxi file there. Then after logging out and logging back in if you type inxi on the terminal it will use the newer inxi version from the bin directory.

Return to “Sound”