setting default input device

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buteman
Level 4
Level 4

setting default input device

Post by buteman »

Mint 20 cinnamon
I have a Behringer usb sound card connected to my desktop computer but I don't have a mic with phono plugs. I have been using a mic plugged into the rear mic input socket. Each time I boot the PC I have to change from the usb card input to the rear input on the PC. I tried installing pulseaudio and was able to set the input as I wanted it, leaving the output coming from the usb card. On rebooting it had totally ignored the usb card and the only way I could get it back to what I had before was to uninstall pulsaudio and reboot the PC.
Is there some config file I can edit to give what I want without trying to use pulseaudio or is there some way to get pulseaudio to keep it set as I want ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: setting default input device

Post by Termy »

What you can do is create '~/.config/pulse/default.pa', then add the following within:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF

set-default-source YOUR_SOURCE_NAME
set-default-sink YOUR_SINK_NAME
Obviously replace the temporary values with something appropriate for your system. That should be loaded for your current user. If you want it to be global, you can adjust '/etc/pulse/default.pa'. I've only ever edited the global one, so I'm not 100% sure my instruction will work for a specific user, but I imagine it will.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
buteman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: setting default input device

Post by buteman »

Termy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:31 pm What you can do is create '~/.config/pulse/default.pa', then add the following within:

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF

set-default-source YOUR_SOURCE_NAME
set-default-sink YOUR_SINK_NAME
Thanks but at present I have no idea what the sink_name or source_name could be.
I had a look on my laptop and it has alsa installed. I found a command which might also have solved the problem.

sudo alsacrl store
to save the settings and

sudo alsactl restore
When I went to look on the PC I wanted this on to try it alsa wasn't installed so as I set them both up from the same Mint installer I am at a loss. I have a feeling I am going to have to re-install on the PC. How is it handling sound?

Update, I installed the software but it doesn't save my settings so still have change it manually each time.

Return to “Sound”