[UNSOLVED - HW problem] Internal Mic Not Working on Dell Inspiron

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Internal Mic Not Working on Dell Inspiron

Post by jej »

I've never been able to see the capture device in alsamixer, even with 5.4.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

jej wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:48 pm That's the boot menu? I can get it by pressing the <Shift> key during startup?
Yes, that's it. In the menu you have to take the Adcanced Options and choose the 5.4 kernel. In Linux you have to remove the 5.13 kernel in the Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

jej wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:51 pm I've never been able to see the capture device in alsamixer, even with 5.4.
Is there nothing when you choose F4? Is there maybe a column Input Source?
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

OK, I reverted to the 5.4 kernel. Still not seeing a capture device in Alsamixer.
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

In Alsamixer pressing F4 shows
no.png
no.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 638 times
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Okay, I didn't know that. Try the following commands in that order and see, what happens

Code: Select all

apt install --reinstall pulseaudio
apt remove --purge alsa-base
apt install alsa-base
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

Still get the "no" sign from alsamixer.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

And in pavucontrol when you record audio/video or in the Input tab you can see a microphone?

I've just seen, that I dont know, if you have pavucontrol (PulseAudio VolumeController)?

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
You can find it in the Menu > Multimedia
Last edited by HAWR on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

Pulse Audio shows the internal microphone:
Screenshot from 2022-04-05 17-30-01.png
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Okay, I thought, that it is also not detected there. Then we can go on tomorrow.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello jej,

unfortunately I haven't found an explanation yet why nothing appears under Capture in alsamixer. But we should try again, whether we might have success with further options in alsa-base (possibly also in combination with hdajackretask). I think that by the captured installation of alsa-base the option we already set is no longer available. If it is, please remove it and try the following options, each with a reboot and the options you know in alsamixer, pavucontrol and hdajackretask. Before you begin, please run the following command and see, if this has an effect:

apt install --reinstall alsa-base alsa-utils pulseaudio linux-sound-base libasound2

sudo -H xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
options snd_hda_intel model=laptop-amic
options snd_hda_intel model=laptop-dmic
options snd_hda_intel model=inv-dmic
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

I reinstalled alsa-base and then tried all three options in your above post, followed by a reboot. None gave me a capture device in Alsamixer, nor did I get a working mic. It seems the mic is picking up something, as I get a listing in Pulse Audio Control, and background noise when I play back a video recording. But I can't capture my voice on a recording.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

It seems the mic is picking up something,
Do you know, if that is new or is it related to one of the options above?
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

No, that has always been the state of things. When I open Onlinemictest.com the internal mic shows in Pulse Audio Control as recording. But still, no voice recognition, only background noise. And no capture device in alsamixer. It almost seems as if the internal monitor and internal microphone are switched somehow?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-04-06 15-44-29.png
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

And do you see movements on the onlinemictest website, when you are speaking?

When I look at your alsamixer screen, there are two Internal Mic columns. The right should be the Boost and the left one your Mic, which is unbalanced. Can you set the Boost to 0/0 and balance the internal Mic (see F1 for help to choose the right keys for left and right balance)? And of course test again.
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jej »

That second column, for mic boost, disappeared somewhere along the way. This is what I have now:
Screenshot from 2022-04-06 16-18-58.png
I just texted my daughter, from whom I got this machine (after she got it from me). She said the mic was unreliable under Windows, so, after all this effort, I think it may be a hardware defect. I apologize for taking so much of your time. For me the time wasn't wasted, because I've learned a lot through our exchange. Thank you again.
Last edited by jej on Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

She said the mic was unreliable under Windows
Yes, then it could be a hardware failure. If you want a microphone, maybe you have a headset which you can use.
For me the time wasn't wasted, because I've leaned a lot through our exchange. Thank you again.
You're welcome and I always learn in the process, too. So it's mutual :) If you want to close the thread, edit your first post and maybe add [UNSOLVED, probably hardware failure] to the headline.

Edit: One last thing you could try: shutdown, disconnect from power, take out the battery, press the power button for about 30 seconds, wait a few minutes, insert the battery again and boot.
jej
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [UNSOLVED - HW problem] Internal Mic Not Working on Dell Inspiron

Post by jej »

Postscript: I bought a $9 USB microphone, which worked like a charm immediately.
HeLiX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [UNSOLVED - HW problem] Internal Mic Not Working on Dell Inspiron

Post by HeLiX »

Hello,

I had the exact same problem with a Dell Inspiron 15 3567, I am a Debian user but the solution is probably the same.

I see on your screenshots of pulse audio control and alsamixer that the microphone volume is 100%. This is the default value but it is actually way too much, it amplifies a lot the ambient noise and you can't hear your voice. For me a good value is around 40%. You can try to reduce the volume in pulse audio control and record yourself speaking to find the good value.

Maybe this can help other people as well ;-)

Return to “Sound”