[SOLVED] No sound through headphone jack

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No sound through headphone jack

Post by havenforbid »

I have a new ASUS VivoBook X515 which I have Linux Mint 20.3 installed with no dual boot.

Initially, I was able to hear sound through both the headphone jack and installed speakers. But one day, I switched from headphone jack to speakers on the PulseAudio Volume Control. When I switched back, PulseAudio showed the headphone jack--but no sound would come out of it. I can switch back to the regular speakers, but nothing will come through the headphone jack, no matter what is plugged into it.

I've gone through all the Tips for Troubleshooters and tried the fixes on both of MrEen's suggestions for fixes, with no change.

Here are my aplay -1 and inx -iFxz outputs

Code: Select all

]VivoBook-ASUSLaptop-X515EAU-R565EA:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC897 Analog [ALC897 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

VivoBook-ASUSLaptop-X515EAU-R565EA:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-110-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X515EAU_R565EA 
  v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X515EAU v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: X515EAU.202 date: 05/31/2021 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 34.3 Wh condition: 34.3/37.1 Wh (92%) 
  model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery status: Not charging 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i3-1115G4 bits: 64 
  type: MT MCP arch: Tiger Lake rev: 1 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 23961 
  Speed: 1089 MHz min/max: 400/4100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1070 2: 1172 
  3: 1065 4: 939 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A bus ID: 0000:00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev 
  unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 0000:00:1f.3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-110-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 0000:00:14.3 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 698.96 GiB (75.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital model: WD Green SN350 1TB 
  size: 931.51 GiB 
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller 
  driver: vmd v: 0.6 bus ID: 0000:00:0e.0 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 698.96 GiB (76.4%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2400 
Info:
  Processes: 240 Uptime: 6d 2h 11m Memory: 19.24 GiB used: 5.32 GiB (27.7%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.4.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Re: No sound through headphone jack

Post by HAWR »

Hello havenforbid,

because of your rather new hardware, I suggest to upgrade your kernel version to 5.13. You can do that in the Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels > tab 5.13. Install the latest 5.13 kernel, reboot and test.
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. :( Any other ideas?
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Let's see, if the reset of PulseAudio's configuration files to default can help:
  • Open the file manager, press Ctrl+H to make hidden files and folders visible. Delete the files in /home/yourusername/.config/pulse
  • Open the terminal and run pulseaudio -k
  • Wait a few seconds and then test again
Do you maybe use special audio software like Audacity, OBS etc.?
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

That was #2 on Mr. Een's suggested fixes to try. http://mreen.epizy.com/SoundFixTips.html?i=1

It didn't fix it then, but of course that's always worth trying again. Alas, it didn't work this time either.

I don't use Audacity though I have in the past on other laptops. The media player I use is Strawberry, a cousin to Clementine. Mint 20.3 comes with Rhythmbox, Celluloid and Hypnotix installed. But I play Pandora from my browser, and sound behaves the same operating through that as well.
HAWR wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 pm Let's see, if the reset of PulseAudio's configuration files to default can help:
  • Open the file manager, press Ctrl+H to make hidden files and folders visible. Delete the files in /home/yourusername/.config/pulse
  • Open the terminal and run pulseaudio -k
  • Wait a few seconds and then test again
Do you maybe use special audio software like Audacity, OBS etc.?
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

That was #2 on Mr. Een's suggested fixes to try
Yes, you are right. Because it worked before with headphones and speakers, it could also be a contact problem. Are the headphones always plugged in? Have you ever unplugged and plugged in the headphones? Did you reboot without the headphones plugged-in? When I plug in my headphones, I always have to swich manually to it in the Sound Settings.

When you run alsamixer in a terminal fullscreen window and have chosen your sound card with the ALC897 sound chip, you can see on the right side a column "Auto-Mute Mode". How is the setting for it (enabled, disabled etc.)?
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

Because it worked before with headphones and speakers, it could also be a contact problem. Are the headphones always plugged in? Have you ever unplugged and plugged in the headphones? Did you reboot without the headphones plugged-in? When I plug in my headphones, I always have to swich manually to it in the Sound Settings.

When you run alsamixer in a terminal fullscreen window and have chosen your sound card with the ALC897 sound chip, you can see on the right side a column "Auto-Mute Mode". How is the setting for it (enabled, disabled etc.)?
I've rebooted with the headphones (and speaker out) plugged in and unplugged. I've tried switching manually when the headphones have been plugged in. No dice.

Auto-Mute Mode is disabled.

I would be surprised if the contact problem is present when I've had this laptop for less than a month.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Try setting the Auto-Mute Mode to enabled, so that normally it should switch to the headphones when plugged-in. But as I've written before, I always have to switch manually in the Sound Settings, although the Mode is enabled.

Otherwise we can try to connect the jack to another pin with hdajackretask. Only to be sure: You aren't using accidentially the microphone jack?
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

HAWR wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:10 pm Try setting the Auto-Mute Mode to enabled, so that normally it should switch to the headphones when plugged-in. But as I've written before, I always have to switch manually in the Sound Settings, although the Mode is enabled.

Otherwise we can try to connect the jack to another pin with hdajackretask. Only to be sure: You aren't using accidentially the miphone jack?
Okay, I tried it. The Sound Settings do switch it to Headphone Jack when I plug the headphone in. (And it is a headphone jack). But no sound through the headphones.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

It seems that headphones are muted somehow or the switch to the headphones doesn't work right. Plug out the headphones, open the Playback tab in the Sound Settings, play a song/video. Then plug in the headphones. If there is still no sound via headphones, choose the HDMI playback and then again the headphones. Do you now have sound via headphones?

Look in alsamixer, if the headphones are maybe muted or the volume is very low.
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

HAWR wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:33 am It seems that headphones are muted somehow or the switch to the headphones doesn't work right. Plug out the headphones, open the Playback tab in the Sound Settings, play a song/video. Then plug in the headphones. If there is still no sound via headphones, choose the HDMI playback and then again the headphones. Do you now have sound via headphones?

Look in alsamixer, if the headphones are maybe muted or the volume is very low.
Tried the HDMI playback--there's actually eight stereo and eight surround sound HDMI playbacks. The ones that are output only are marked unavailable, and the ones that are marked output/input don't give me the option of switching to headphones.

I did notice something interesting with alsamixer. There are three headphone inputs. Adjusting them with headphones set to either on or off doesn't seem to make a difference, but when I first start alsamixer, there's usually only one headphone input engaged.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Something seems to be disturbed. Is it right, that you have tried all the fixes of MrEen I'm just thinking about point 6 of the "No Sound Fix Tips")?

Then let us try an unconvential method, which I suggest, when something suddenly don't work anymore for no apparent reason. Please shutdown the laptop and disconnect the power cable if connected (in your case you can't easily take out the battery, because it's inside). Wait a few minutes before booting up again and test the situation.

If you have tried all Fix Tips and the unconventional step also don't help, please install the alsa-tools gui, where hdajackretask is one of the tool (you find the tools later in the Menu):

sudo apt-get install alsa-tools-gui && hdajackretask
At the top choose your ALC897 codec. Can you please make two screenshots and attach them here (see Attachments under the text box): One with the selected ALC897 codec and one with the same AND the ticked Option "Show unconnected pins".
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

HAWR wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:11 pm Something seems to be disturbed. Is it right, that you have tried all the fixes of MrEen I'm just thinking about point 6 of the "No Sound Fix Tips")?

Then let us try an unconvential method, which I suggest, when something suddenly don't work anymore for no apparent reason. Please shutdown the laptop and disconnect the power cable if connected (in your case you can't easily take out the battery, because it's inside). Wait a few minutes before booting up again and test the situation.

If you have tried all Fix Tips and the unconventional step also don't help, please install the alsa-tools gui, where hdajackretask is one of the tool (you find the tools later in the Menu):

sudo apt-get install alsa-tools-gui && hdajackretask
At the top choose your ALC897 codec. Can you please make two screenshots and attach them here (see Attachments under the text box): One with the selected ALC897 codec and one with the same AND the ticked Option "Show unconnected pins".
I hadn't tried point 6 of MrEen's "No Sound Fix Tips" because I hadn't had the dreaded "Dummy Output" indicator, but I tried it anyway and got no results.

Here are the screenshots you requested. I had to have two screenshots of the "Show unconnected pins" option because there were so many.
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 18-58-46.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 18-59-26.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 18-59-45.png
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by havenforbid »

I'm not sure if the attachments attached properly the first time, so here they are again.
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 18-58-46.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 18-59-26.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-22 18-59-45.png
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Thank you. As you can see, there are many unconnected pins, which you can try to connect for your headphones. You can begin with for example with 0x1c, tick override and press Apply now. If there is an error, repeat it (some say, you could ignore the error). Then test, if it works. You can also try directly the Install boot override and test after a reboot. If it doesn't work with one pin, you can remove the override. I hope it won't be that much of a hassle and you can find a working pin quickly.
havenforbid
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: No sound through headphone jack

Post by havenforbid »

HAWR wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:09 pm Thank you. As you can see, there are many unconnected pins, which you can try to connect for your headphones. You can begin with for example with 0x1c, tick override and press Apply now. If there is an error, repeat it (some say, you could ignore the error). Then test, if it works. You can also try directly the Install boot override and test after a reboot. If it doesn't work with one pin, you can remove the override. I hope it won't be that much of a hassle and you can find a working pin quickly.
THAT DID IT!!!! :D :D :D
Actually, I overrode one of the already connected pins that said "Black Headphone, Right Side" I changed it from "Headphones" to "Dock Line Out" and that did the trick. Which is good because I use this for both headphones and a line out.

It was a pain in the ampersand, but not too much. The trial and error took about an hour.

That's a handy tool.

Thanks once again!

Haven
Last edited by SMG on Sun May 14, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ] to fix quote attribution.

Return to “Sound”