[SOLVED] The microphone is not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ajile
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] The microphone is not working

Post by Ajile »

I had issues with sound input and output (they were missing) that seemed to come out of nowhere (I didn't have any issues and then the next day it would be back again immediately after starting my computer). I tried many things (mostly in the terminal) and none of it really helped (some things even caused more problems like not being able to launch cinnamon-session-cinnamon because of broken packages).

In the end I used rsync in the GRUB command line to make sure my files are backed up and I used timeshift to go back to an earlier 'restore point'. It again seemed to have solved everything, but a couple of days later (without doing much, so I could only guess that it was because of updates or that the problems never really went away), the options in "Sound" (input and output) were again missing and I couldn't hear anything.

Now I found a solution that could maybe also help others so I wanted to mention it here because I found this thread by searching for: "no inputs sources are currently available" output (which I think might be what others with these issues search for as well). I know very little about these things and it will not help everyone with similar issues, but it was very helpful for me.

I found http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/so ... ooting.htm and downloaded, unpacked, and opened ./unmute_all.sh from The Steve Litt Diagnostic Tools. It gives a good warning that you shouldn't wear headphones during sound diagnosis. It also needs your sound card number to work. I tried the command: aplay -l. It said "no soundcards found...", so I then found https://askubuntu.com/questions/57810/h ... ards-found where user1336314 and Oyibo give the following command: sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel. This worked for me, so I could now enter 0 and the program solved my sound issues by unmuting all currently muted ALSA controls.

I now know that next time I have such issues I can close "Sound", open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and enter the command (type and then press Enter): sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel. After that (and entering my password) I'll be able to use the command: aplay -l. And finally the program ./unmute_all.sh (double click it to start) might solve the issues. Every situation is different, so it's sometimes difficult to find a solution that works, but I want to thank everyone who posts/helps in such threads because I wouldn't have had a clue what to do without them. I hope this also helps someone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Sound”