[Solved] Internal Speakers no Sound, Headphones on audiojack works

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nyxivid
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Internal Speakers no Sound, Headphones on audiojack works

Post by Nyxivid »

Hello,

I recently acquired an old used Lenovo Ideapad U310 that was in storage for a while. Since I had no access to the previous owner's credentials, I just decided to wipe the drives install Linux Mint as my first Linux OS. Yes, I reformatted the drives leaving only the original Lenovo Recovery partition (Im not exactly sure why, but I left this in). I noticed that there is no sound right off the bat but when I plugged in headphones through the audio jack, the sound is loud and clear. Theres no Windows on the machine so I'm unable to remove 'Dirty Leftover Windows settings'

Now, I actually don't know if the Onboard speaker is functional as I've never tested it, but I'm assuming that since other users are having sound problems, I'm assuming that it has something to do with software or firmware. The previous owner did confirm it was functional before storage.

First, apt update/upgrade, then uninstalled/reinstalled pulseaudio, reintstalled cinnamon (b/c it got rid of it somehow), then checked if alsa is on the latest version.

I've fiddled around various settings -- first with alsa and pulseaudio, making sure no device is muted each time I perform a change, I also made sure theyre running on max volume each time and disabling the auto mute function on it. Pavucontrol detects audio playing and swaps properly when I switch to Headphones but the Speaker just has no sound.

Fiddled around with '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf', changing model, indices, and aliases.
notes: I manually changed the models into more popular options such as lenovo, ideapad, generic, auto, latptop, acer, and anything that might have the same config for a CX20590

There was no success with that randomly guessing so I reverted the change and added a modeltests.conf that just contains 'options snd-hda-intel model=$model' where I just ran a simple script and fed the strings of models from 'HD-Audio-models.txt', each time force reloading alsa. (I wasn't rebooting the entire system here unlike my initial guessing attempts).

Fiddled around the '/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf' and reverted it pretty quickly since I dont know what it does.

I spent the longest time with HDAJackRetask trying out dozens of possible pin combinations since I initially believed (maybe I still do) that the system just couldnt output the audio due to an improper pin config. Spent most of the time fiddling around the pins that are similar to the internal speaker dropdown config and trying out LFE, and Back speakers.

Checked If i was using the right soundcard, driver, etc.

Also just found out that ideapad laptops are supposed to work with mint right off the bat. I already reinstalled mint once again and havent tried any other distros.

I have no way to get into the bios settings to check if a dirty fast boot config from windows is the culprit.

Before I move forward with my random fiddlings, I want to make sure that I'm getting somewhere here. Since I'm a very new linux user I'm not quite versed on how the OS works nor do I know how to properly read these audio logs, In the back of my mind Im always thinking maybe the fix is just something simple if I understood how to read these logs.

Code: Select all

$ curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  2349  100  2349    0     0  14500      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 14500
cat: /etc/pulse/client.conf.d/01-enable-autospawn.conf: No such file or directory
https://termbin.com/du8x

If this is a bug could you please link me to a post that I could follow, as Im also curious as to what is happening in the first place, maybe the computer just doesnt work right off the bat as I expected and does need tweaking since my brightness slider and fn keys also needs looking into.

Added: During tests, sound was completely silent, and I was swapping pins, no bleed can be detected on the headphones

Edit (06/30/2022) : Lenovo main speaker issues from other posts using different distros/OS makes me think that an internal cable is pinched.
Also finally got around to installing a Win 10 OS, still no sound on main speakers. I'm more inclined to say this is a hardware issue at this point.
marking as Solved for now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Sound”