Extremely strange volume controls with DAC USB Dongle

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dazerdoreal
Level 1
Level 1

Extremely strange volume controls with DAC USB Dongle

Post by Dazerdoreal »

Hi,

I recently bought a DAC USB Dongle in order to enable higher volumes as well as a better sound quality. It does not have any bluetooth functions.
It works fine under Windows, but it shows very strange behaviour on Linux Mint (PulseAudio).

The volume is extremely random and "jumpy". If I turn the volume scale on maximum (100%), the volume is far beneath its capabilities. But around 9% it randomly goes max volume. Someone reviewed this dongle and mentioned similar issues: https://www.soundphilereview.com/review ... iew-13134/

I tried out a thing with the EQ software PulseEffects: I turned the Volume on 9% and used a Filter of about -15db. This way I could achieve the amount of loudness I wanted. But obviously that isnt a real solution. If PulseEffects crashed for some reason, it suddenly would become ear-bleedingly loud.

Is this a PulseAudio problem? Could it be a solution to switch the codec from PulseAudio to something else? I heard that there is alternative called Pipewire?

(To be honest I only registered myself for this issue. I have used Linux operation systems for at least 10 years, but I would still consider myself rather a beginner. English is not my native language but it should be decent enough.)

Best regards
Dazerdoreal
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Sound”