Re: [SOLVED] Pipewire for audio in Mint 21? And Pipewire + JACK? [Update: Yes!]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NathanShirley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NathanShirley »

Does anyone have experience using Pipewire for audio on Mint 21? I see that 21 now includes it, but read that in Ubuntu 22.04 it's set up for video use only, so some configuration needs to be done to use it for audio. I found a tutorial for doing that in Ubuntu, but not sure it would be the same for Mint (I'm on Cinnamon).

I've also read that while Pipewire can replace PulseAudio, it can't completely replace JACK, but using JACK + Pipewire offers even better latency than JACK + PulseAudio. Is that true, and does anyone have experience using JACK and Pipewire in Mint 21?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NathanShirley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NathanShirley »

I was able to get PipeWire working on Mint/Cinnamon 21 with JACK. So far it seems to work quite well and it resolved an audio problem I was having on an HP laptop.

The Ubuntu instructions I found were later posted/updated in this Linux Mint forum which I just found. The update's for Mint 20, but it seems to have worked for 21 (although one or two steps didn't work at first, I believe I had to restart and update things a couple times). Here's the link to that guide: viewtopic.php?t=375771

Return to “Sound”