XFCE Pulseaudio mixer no longer has system sounds tab

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpapastylianou
Level 1
Level 1

XFCE Pulseaudio mixer no longer has system sounds tab

Post by tpapastylianou »

Since a few versions ago, moving the volume slider from the panel applet doesn't produce the squeeky beepy sound it used to, and the XFCE Pulseaudio mixer no longer has a system sounds tab, to enable / disable / change soundfile etc. More generally, I can't find out where to associate sounds to desktop events (e.g. minimizing maximizing windows etc). Though I don't really care about other events much, I mostly care about the sound made by moving the volume slider.

I liked this and want it back, because it's the fastest way to check that a) audio works, and b) how loud it is.
In the absence of that, I need to find a media file or open youtube, and start playing to figure out a) and b) instead.

Does anyone know how I can bring back the system sounds? In the absence of a configuration option that brings back the tab in the pulseaudio mixer, is there a place where I should be placing specific files or something?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: XFCE Pulseaudio mixer no longer has system sounds tab

Post by SMG »

tpapastylianou wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:41 am Since a few versions ago
Welcome to the forum, tpapastylianou.

A few versions ago of what? Of PulseAudio? Of Xfce? Of Linux Mint?

Do you have any Timeshift snapshots of your system when it was working? Reverting back to a snapshot would be my first suggestion.

If you do not have snapshots, please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Sound”