headset mic not showing up in mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Almo900
Level 1
Level 1

headset mic not showing up in mint

Post by Almo900 »

I have a "quad-boot" system with three Ubuntu derivatives (ubuntu 22.04.1, kubuntu 22.04.1, Mint Vanessa Cinnamon) and Windows 11.
  • Only the Mint installation refuses to believe the headset plugged into the 2.5mm audio plug on the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro has a mic
  • Mint also won't *play* audio through unless I unplug and re-plug the headset cable -- I think this is because I mute the "Speakers" device to avoid getting audio through *both* speaker and headset
  • The above behavior only happens in Mint, so I'm thinking there may be some unaddressed OS-level issues pertaining to 'pluggable' devices?
Sound settings show two output devices: Headphones and Speakers Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller
Sound settings show one input device: Digital Microphone Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller

As mentioned, the mic is detected and un-muted when inserted or detected in all Ubuntu and Windows installations. Mint is not finding the headset mic and not playing through the headset until removing and re-inserting the headphone 2.5 mm plug.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Almo900
Level 1
Level 1

Re: headset mic not showing up in mint

Post by Almo900 »

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1413842 ... -in-just-a seemed to resolve it for me but several "learning experiences" along the way:
  • Make sure windows is cold-powered-off, as opposed to "sleep", "hybrid sleep", "hibernate" or any other such yak
  • Seemed to be a lot of Lenovo Idea/ThinkPad users were seeing this issue in both arch and ubuntu
  • I needed to put the following line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-amic,dell-headset-multi
    and of course reboot
Good luck with this! Besides the changes from the 20->21 Mint (20.04 ->22.04 ubuntu) that seem to keep a popup from appearing every time the headphone is inserted into the analog jack, there have been plenty of "rough spots" in terms of hardware support, esp. sound drivers, in ubuntu, Mint, and arch as well.

Return to “Sound”