Help me to debug why I dont have sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ivankata91
Level 1
Level 1

Help me to debug why I dont have sound

Post by ivankata91 »

I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, but I still see just a dummy output, Please help.

I donwloaded Linux Mint 21.1 today https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Please let me know what else to do. I'm new to linux world. Thanks!

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 6.1.0-1004-oem x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.6 tk: GTK 3.24.33
    wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HUAWEI product: BOHB-WAX9 v: M1280 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: HUAWEI model: BOHB-WAX9-PCB-B2 v: M1280 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: HUAWEI
    v: 1.42 date: 03/25/2022
    Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS vendor: QUANTA driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl
    bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:02c8
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k6.1.0-1004-oem running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
  CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i3-10110U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Comet/Whiskey Lake
    note: check rev: C cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2800 min/max: 400/4100 cores: 1: 2800 2: 2800 3: 2800 4: 2800
    bogomips: 20799
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Help me to debug why I dont have sound

Post by Termy »

It looks like your laptop is quite new. I couldn't find a date, but I see a lot of mentions of 2022. Despite the very new kernel you're using, it looks like it might not be fully supported in Linux, yet. Either that or it's just yet another PipeWire issue. A lot of people are having problems since PipeWire became a thing, sadly. :( There are all sorts of things to try, but with you being brand new, I'm probably not the best person to present them.

Have you tried different distributions? If you have the time, and you're willing to explore and learn, I would look into well established distributions based on Arch Linux, as I see a lot of people with newer hardware finding those distributions work better for them. That's not a biased suggestion, BTW — I don't even like Arch Linux. :roll: But there are a lot distributions you can try out. All it takes is to load up the Live environment and see if the hardware seems to work OK and you like the rest.

Just know that distributions like Arch Linux and those based on Arch Linux are 'bleeding edge', meaning they're as close as is reasonable to the latest software, which inherently introduces some considerations. You can look into all that yourself. There are other things you may like or dislike about Arch Linux, like the AUR. Arch Linux and distributions based thereon are usually not recommended to beginners because they do tend to require a more experienced user, just so you know. In any case, it's up to you. There's nothing (hopefully) stopping you from exploring until you find somewhere to settle. If you're nerdy like me, you should be right at home in Linux. And remember, Linux is not Windows.

I would also look into Linux Mint 'Edge', as apparently that has better hardware support for newer devices, although you're already on a very new kernel.

With any luck, someone can help get this problem sorted without worrying about the above, but I've said it all just in-case. There's no rush, so take your time and just have fun learning. I'm over a decade in and I'm still learning cool new stuff about Linux. Oh and welcome to the forums. Best of luck to you.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:06 pm I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, but I still see just a dummy output, Please help.
Welcome to the forum, ivankata91.

I did a search on the forum for BOHB-WAX9 and found someone with the same computer. Please see that topic for information on what is currently available Dummy sound output on Huawei laptop.

I do not yet have the Tips for Troubleshooting Sound Issues updated for Linux Mint 21, but hope to do so within the next week or two.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Termy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:52 pmI would also look into Linux Mint 'Edge', as apparently that has better hardware support for newer devices, although you're already on a very new kernel.
There is no Edge version available for LM21.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:21 pm There is no Edge version available for LM21.
That explains why when I looked it up, it went straight to Linux Mint 20. :roll: Non-the-less, isn't it still worth a try? If it's as 'edgy'-y as implied. :P
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Termy wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:33 pmThat explains why when I looked it up, it went straight to Linux Mint 20. :roll: Non-the-less, isn't it still worth a try? If it's as 'edgy'-y as implied. :P
Going back to an older kernel would not be edgy. It was only edgy when the LTS kernel was 5.4. (The "newest" edge kernel was 5.13.) The LTS kernel for LM21 is 5.15.
ivankata91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ivankata91 »

Thanks @SMG! I did all advises on the other topic, but still no sound for me :( I will follow the other topic, you can I guess close mine if you want.

@Termy I haven't tried different distribution. Do you think Arch Linux will worth it? I wanted to use Mint just because it seems more user friendly for beginners, but I can also try the Arch, if it's gonna solve my problem.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

SMG wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:42 pm [...]
Ah, OK. So it doesn't maintain the newer kernel, it's only the newer kernel at the time of the Linux Mint release. Thanks for explaining. I agree then that there's not much point in OP trying Linux Mint 'Edge' until they update it.
ivankata91 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:55 am [...]
It's up to you. I can only give you information, not tell you what you should do. ;) After all, I don't know you, your abilities, how much time you have, etc. As explained, Arch Linux is not typically for beginners to Linux or average computer users. Arch Linux itself is an advanced distribution that actually requires you build it up from almost-scratch. I only really refer to Arch Linux here as a base, how Ubuntu is a base for Linux Mint. That being said, there are various distributions based on Arch Linux which apparently provide the benefits of Arch Linux but with a more welcoming experience to new Linux users. It's up to you to discover whatever works well for you. All the information is out there already online. I suggest YouTube, as Linux is quite a popular topic there.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Termy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:03 amAh, OK. So it doesn't maintain the newer kernel, it's only the newer kernel at the time of the Linux Mint release. Thanks for explaining. I agree then that there's not much point in OP trying Linux Mint 'Edge' until they update it.
ISOs are frozen in time at the time they were created. They are never updated once they are released.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:55 am Thanks @SMG! I did all advises on the other topic, but still no sound for me :( I will follow the other topic, you can I guess close mine if you want.
It's fine for you to follow the other topic, but it gets confusing for those helping to have two different people posting information in the same topic.

I gave the other person several different ideas to follow and am not completely sure what they have done. I have no idea what you did before running that command. It's better if you post your information in your topic rather than in someone else's topic. Just because you have the same computer model does not mean your installs are the same.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:46 am [...]
Oh I know, I just meant through standard updates.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:22 am I have the same issue with the exact same Huawei and here is what I get
The error line below from your output you posted in the other topic is listed in the latest set of files.

kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/sof-tplg/sof-cml-es8336-dmic2ch-ssp0.tplg failed with error -2
As I indicated in the other topic,
SMG wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 amThe latest files are thesofproject / sof-bin and I do see a number of es8336 related file names in the tar.gz. Maybe you will just need to install missing files.
If you have questions about the instructions in that link for installing the files, just let us know.

If you install the files and it does not work, please provide an updated output of

journalctl -k | grep -Ei "ALSA|HDA|sof[-]|HDMI|snd[_-]|sound|hda.codec|hda.intel"
ivankata91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ivankata91 »

I gave the other person several different ideas to follow and am not completely sure what they have done. I have no idea what you did before running that command. It's better if you post your information in your topic rather than in someone else's topic. Just because you have the same computer model does not mean your installs are the same.
@SMG Thanks! I will use my topic then!
If you have questions about the instructions in that link for installing the files, just let us know.
I would appreciate if you can give me more clear instructions on how to install these files.
It's up to you. I can only give you information, not tell you what you should do. ;) After all, I don't know you, your abilities, how much time you have, etc. As explained, Arch Linux is not typically for beginners to Linux or average computer users. Arch Linux itself is an advanced distribution that actually requires you build it up from almost-scratch. I only really refer to Arch Linux here as a base, how Ubuntu is a base for Linux Mint. That being said, there are various distributions based on Arch Linux which apparently provide the benefits of Arch Linux but with a more welcoming experience to new Linux users. It's up to you to discover whatever works well for you. All the information is out there already online. I suggest YouTube, as Linux is quite a popular topic there.
Thanks @Termy! I will have a look on some alternatives , but first I will give a try to SMG's suggestions.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:10 amI would appreciate if you can give me more clear instructions on how to install these files.
Whenever in doubt, the first step is to take a Timeshift snapshot or some other backup image of your system so you can get back to your current state if you have any problems/issues. (Additionally, there are also these instructions How to uninstall? #52.)

The instructions are on this page thesofproject / sof-bin : Readme as well as in the Readme.md doc in the tar file on the download page I provided to copy all of the files in that release to your computer.

However, what the last person did was to just copy the missing file from the tar to their install (rather than copy all the files).

Your error message indicated the intel/sof-tplg/sof-cml-es8336-dmic2ch-ssp0.tplg file could not be loaded.
Go to the /lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg directory on your install and see if there is a sof-cml-es8336-dmic2ch-ssp0.tplg in it. If there is not, then copy that file from the sof-tplg-v.2.2.4 folder in the tar to your intel/sof-tplg/ directory.

It is possible your system might need more than just the one file. If, after you copy the file and reboot, there is still no sound, check the latest output of

journalctl -k | grep -Ei "ALSA|HDA|sof[-]|HDMI|snd[_-]|sound|hda.codec|hda.intel"
ivankata91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ivankata91 »

Hey @SMG, thank you for your help! I pasted all the files from sof-tplg-v.2.2.4 to intel/sof-tplg/ directory, however still no luck!

Here is the output of

Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if info 0x040100
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: DSP detected with PCI class/subclass/prog-if 0x040100
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: use msi interrupt mode
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: NHLT_DEVICE_I2S detected, ssp_mask 0x1
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: Overriding topology with MCLK mask 0x1 from NHLT
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: hda codecs found, mask 4
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for intel/sof/sof-cml.ri failed with error -2
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: error: sof firmware file is missing, you might need to
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3:        download it from https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin/
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: error: failed to load DSP firmware -2
Jan 17 19:29:07 valeri kernel: sof-audio-pci-intel-cnl 0000:00:1f.3: error: sof_probe_work failed err: -2
Jan 17 19:29:40 valeri kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] HPD interrupt storm detected on connector HDMI-A-1: switching from hotplug detection to polling
It's weird, because I can see sof-cml.ri is there. May be the issue is different
Screenshot from 2023-01-17 19-42-34.png
Any other advises?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pm Hey @SMG, thank you for your help! I pasted all the files from sof-tplg-v.2.2.4 to intel/sof-tplg/ directory, however still no luck!
At least the error changed so maybe we are getting closer.

That's the first time I've seen a message for that type of file. I'm not sure what it is, but I will see what I can find out.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pmI pasted all the files from sof-tplg-v.2.2.4 to intel/sof-tplg/ directory
I'm puzzled why the dates are different. The tarball files are all dated for Friday 06 Jan 2023, but those are not the dates in your screenshot. I don't know if that relates to the kernel version and the files might actually be older ones or if you do have the same 06 Jan files and the dates are newer because of when the kernel was built. Because I have an older version (and older kernel) than you, I can not do comparisons to my install.

I don't know if you are getting the error because something else changed and needs overwritten or this is just another instance of some more bugs/problems with the files. There are A LOT of quirks which need addressed in these files because of the many differences in the hardware.

I'll keep looking to see what I can find.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pm Hey @SMG, thank you for your help! I pasted all the files from sof-tplg-v.2.2.4 to intel/sof-tplg/ directory, however still no luck!
How did you paste the files?

I ask because the person in other topic just added the one missing file and that cleared the errors in that specific command output. They did not get the error you did. :?

They still do not have sound and I am currently investigating the problems from a different command to see if we can figure out why.

Just wanted to give you an update and let you know I did not forget you.
ivankata91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ivankata91 »

So I did download the rar and extracted it to

/home/valeri/Desktop/sof-bin-v2.2.4
then I copied all the files from

/home/valeri/Desktop/sof-bin-v2.2.4/sof-v2.2.4
and pasted them to

/lib/firmware/intel/sof
then I copied all the files from

/home/valeri/Desktop/sof-bin-v2.2.4/sof-tplg-v2.2.4
and pasted them to

/lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg
Now I made it more clear to review. Please check out the new screen
Screenshot from 2023-01-23 11-58-40.png
Still the same output
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ivankata91 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:54 amStill the same output
Does this mean you are still getting the error about sof-cml.ri?

Or just that you are not getting sound?

Return to “Sound”