jack-sink audio device not created after Jack installation

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lcmb
Level 1
Level 1

jack-sink audio device not created after Jack installation

Post by lcmb »

Hi,
I'm running a fresh install of Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Mobo: MSI PRO H410M-B
Intel Core i3-10105

USB audio interface: Yamaha THR10

Current situation:
I have installed qJackctl (jackd2, etc.) and pulseaudio-module-jack
When I open the sound settings window, a new "sink" audio device isn't created in the device list box.

Past experience:
I have had Jack work on previous versions of Linux Mint.
In those cases, after installing (and starting) Jack, a new device was added to the device box in the Sound Settings window. I can't quite remember, but this device is named something like audio-sink or jack-sink
So the way I got jack to work was to start QJackctl, then open Sound Settings and select that "jack-sink" device.

Now back to the present situation:
Adding scripts to make Jack and Pulseaudio work together hasn't solved the problem, I think, because this "jack sink" device doesn't exist.

Like I said, this is a fresh install.
Before this install, I was running Linux Mint 20 and everything worked just fine.
A few days ago, I had a hardware upgrade (mobo, cpu, ram) and decided to check out Linux Mint 21.1.
At first I installed it without formatting /Home.
I installed my audio apps, including jack without a problem. Even MIDI applications worked fine. But the system appearance seemed like a mix of the previous and the current version - I guess because I hadn't formatted /Home when installing Linux.
So I did a complete fresh install and now I can't get Jack to work.

I hope I have been clear enough, as I'm not a native speaker, and also I hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: jack-sink audio device not created after Jack installation

Post by SMG »

lcmb wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:43 amLike I said, this is a fresh install.
Before this install, I was running Linux Mint 20 and everything worked just fine.
Welcome to the forum, icmb.

Linux Mint 21 versions have alsa, pulseaudio, and pipewire running as the default. That was not the case with Linux Mint 20.

Maybe the answer to this topic How to develop and run jack applications under pipewire correctly will help you.

I also found this Pipewire wiki: Config JACK. The table of contents for additional information in the Pipewire Wiki is on the right.

I've never used JACK so my ability to help will be very limited.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
lcmb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: jack-sink audio device not created after Jack installation

Post by lcmb »

Thanks, SMG,
I'll check those out. Maybe even try to use only pipewire. I don't really need Jack specifically. I just need to have more than one application using audio at the same time.

Return to “Sound”