soundconverter won't run without sudo [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adam933

soundconverter won't run without sudo [SOLVED]

Post by adam933 »

Running Isadora base.

I installed soundconverter 1.50 and it appears in the Menu, but it won't start from the menu.
However, if I run $sudo soundconverter in a terminal, it starts and works just fine.

I've tried various chown commands, and they worked, but didn't change soundconverter's action.
I even put "sudo" in front of the command that starts soundconverter in the menu, and that doesn't work either.

This sounds like a pretty simple problem to fix, but I'm stumped.
Would really appreciate a solution.

Thanks,
adam933
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: soundconverter won't run without sudo

Post by Midnighter »

when you run soundconverter on it's own from terminal, without sudo, what message does it give?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
adam933

Post by adam933 »

Midnighter wrote:when you run soundconverter on it's own from terminal, without sudo, what message does it give?
Here is soundconverter without sudo:

Code: Select all

~/Desktop $ soundconverter
SoundConverter 1.5.0
  using Gstreamer version: 0.10.28
  using gio
  using 1 thread(s)

(soundconverter:2201): libglade-WARNING **: could not convert string to type `GValueArray' for property `authors'

(soundconverter:2201): libglade-WARNING **: could not convert string to type `GValueArray' for property `documenters'
/usr/local/bin/soundconverter:2778: GtkWarning: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
  glade = gtk.glade.XML(GLADE)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/soundconverter", line 2881, in <module>
    main(args)
  File "/usr/local/bin/soundconverter", line 2873, in main
    gui_main(args)
  File "/usr/local/bin/soundconverter", line 2779, in gui_main
    win = SoundConverterWindow(glade)
  File "/usr/local/bin/soundconverter", line 2480, in __init__
    self.prefs = PreferencesDialog(glade)
  File "/usr/local/bin/soundconverter", line 1676, in __init__
    self.set_widget_initial_values(glade)
  File "/usr/local/bin/soundconverter", line 1814, in set_widget_initial_values
    rr_entry = self.resample_rate-entry
NameError: global name 'entry' is not defined
~/Desktop $ 
Thanks for your help Midnighter.

adam933
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Hmm, just on my way to bed, it's 3:30 am here. The errors are odd, suggest to me an issue with some of the libraries, from memory the glade stuff is used for the gui/gtk. Between tired and sick, having trouble recalling specifics. But something is certainly amiss.

Is your Isodora up to date? Updated with the Update Manager, or thru apt-get? And also, have you tried a reboot? Shouldn't be necessary, no, but sometimes with odd errors it seems to help. Or at least log out and back in.

Off to be d now, will check on this in a few hours when i get up. This glade stuff does ring a bell, but it's been a while, plus I'm tired and sick. Hopefully can think better in morn.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Just as a matter of interest, how did you install SoundConverter 1.5, please? The latest version in the repositories is 1.4.4, with 1.5.0 so far being available only as a tarball.
adam933

Post by adam933 »

Brian49 wrote:Just as a matter of interest, how did you install SoundConverter 1.5, please? The latest version in the repositories is 1.4.4, with 1.5.0 so far being available only as a tarball.
Hi Brian,

Yes, I installed soundconverter from the 1.50 tarball (configure - make - sudo make install).
After I ran configure the first time, I had to install "intltool" from the repositories.
After that, make and make install ran without errors.

After installation, soundconverter ran from the menu, but failed to start after a reboot (I shutdown and reboot every day).

Hi Midnighter

Please relax and get some rest. (I guess they don't call you Midnighter for nothing :D .
Thanks for the help.

adam933
kassoulet

Post by kassoulet »

This is a know problem with 1.5.0, please install the 1.5.3 version.

http://prdownload.berlios.de/soundconve ... 5.3.tar.gz
adam933

Re: soundconverter won't run without sudo [SOLVED]

Post by adam933 »

Hi kassoulet,

That fixed it :mrgreen: !!!

I removed 1.50 and installed 1.53 - so far, no problems, and no sudo needed. Soundconverter 1.53 runs from the menu every time now. I went to the Berlios site, but couldn't locate soundconverter. I'm certainly glad you found it.

Thanks to all who helped, and to kassoulet in particular.

adam933

EDIT:
After a bit of research, kassoulet is the actual person at Berlios who fixed this problem (and several others).
It's people like kassoulet who give their time, effort, and expertise that makes Linux so valuable.
Thanks again.

adam933

Return to “Sound”