Play .mov

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Binx
Level 1
Level 1

Play .mov

Post by Binx »

What can i use to play .mov files? none of the default apps in mint 9 can play them, well i see video but no sound :|

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Play .mov

Post by dawgdoc »

Which edition of Mint 9 did you install. The USA/Japan version does not come with all of the codecs. If this is the case you can install them through Synaptic.

In the other editions, VLC would normally play most anything. There is THIS thread from last year about getting .mov files to play.

I had trouble with MP4 files from a Go Pro Camera identified with Apple codecs and was able to convert them to .avi files using Kino, which is in Package Manager. There is also THIS guide to making mov files into something you can edit.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

Binx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Play .mov

Post by Binx »

I intalled the dvd version for uk, i've just tested playing a mov file from the live disc to check that i haven't screwed up my system, and the same thing happens, it trys to search for a codec and comes back saying i need QDM Decoder, vlc says,No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "QDMC". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this. The files in question origialy came from cd's that had a music video on them and i just copied them over using windows, they used to play on quick time player :|

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”